ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

nerdwarrior

Posted · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

We don't know what PVA will cost yet I believe. It could be very very expensive,

About the PVA;

Ultimaker PVA 350gr : 48,34 (incl. tax)  - tried it, it works

Makerpoint home brand PVA 500gr : 39,95 - bought it, will try when I finished the UM

Innofil Innosolve PVA 500gr : 72,95 - won't try it, too expensive.

E3D scaffold 500gr : 45,- GBP : need to try that sometime, heard good things about it.

I've read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong) that an open PVA spool loses it's quality fast? So it's better not to leave an open PVA spool for months in your desk?

• Replies 403
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong) that an open PVA spool loses it's quality fast? So it's better not to leave an open PVA spool for months in your desk?

Yes, it degrades quickly by absorbing water from the air. So if you're not planning on using your printer for a couple of days it's best to remove the spool and store it in an airtight container, preferably with a pack of silica gel.

How fast it degrades depends on how humid it is where it's stored of course.

It can be dried out if moisture starts affecting print performance.

The moisture problem is kind of true for all filaments, some just absorb moisture faster. PVA and nylon are two filaments that absorb moisture like crazy.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/drybox-for-pva-ultimaker3

my solution, put it in a box, even when you are printing.... prevention is always better than correction :)

And remember a dual print easily is 15 hours... so your PVA wil not last long outside a box...

Hi @zerspaner_gerd

it's UltiGCode

Twin cylinder head now cleaned from PVA. Showtime tomorrow :)

• Like 2

it's UltiGCode

For me the Ultigcode does not work (There is only one G10 S1 available).

Or do not you need that with you.

Can you share your profile, via PM.

Here is my profile

Or maybe they find the error in my profile.

@rasputin

Teaser ...

cylh1.thumb.jpg.2c9c3817380594254cb5280a0b9e87f6.jpg

cylh1.thumb.jpg.2c9c3817380594254cb5280a0b9e87f6.jpg

• Like 8

Here is my profile

It seems, that the related stuff in not in there... but in the extruder definitions.

If you change it like this, the tool change retractions are back:

{   "id": "ultimaker2_dual_1st",   "version": 2,   "name": "1st Extruder",   "inherits": "fdmextruder",   "metadata": {       "machine": "ultimaker2_dual",       "position": "0"   },   "overrides": {       "extruder_nr": {           "default_value": 0,           "maximum_value": "1"       },       "machine_nozzle_offset_x": { "default_value": 0.0 },       "machine_nozzle_offset_y": { "default_value": 0.0 },       "machine_extruder_start_pos_abs": { "default_value": false },       "machine_extruder_start_pos_x": { "value": 0.0 },       "machine_extruder_start_pos_y": { "value": 0.0 },       "machine_extruder_end_pos_abs": { "default_value": false },       "machine_extruder_end_pos_x": { "value": 0.0 },       "machine_extruder_end_pos_y": { "value": 0.0 }   }}

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

Here we go!

More pictures here: 3D prints

(want to avoid double posting)

cylh3.thumb.jpg.e3283dc1e7f89c70795d48c07afe2093.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 5

That

is

impressive

amazing

stunning

jaw-dropping

impeccable.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I missed the link, but do you have your files anywhere, for free or for sale? I see a lot of things that say "based on foehnsturm's design", but not your own......

You name the price and I'll pay for this thing :)

Is there support for running the same material in both the nozzles, the printer switches nozzle when the material runs out in the first.

It would save a lot of attention and material for me.

Beautiful.

r

very impressive! How is it possible to get this dual extrusion of yours? Or, when do you launch the list of required pieces for this this addons, the assembling manual and the .stl files for ultimaker 2+? I read all the adventure in another tread but never see the last prototype files or/and the way to assemble all these stuffs. Your results are perfect and I don't know why I became nervous and don't sleep well these last days. At least, I know it is possible to get a dual extrusion for the ultimaker 2+ :)

Here we go!

More pictures here: 3D prints

(want to avoid double posting)

Edited by Guest

Is there support for running the same material in both the nozzles, the printer switches nozzle when the material runs out in the first.

It would save a lot of attention and material for me.

Not right now, no.

Here is my profile

It seems, that the related stuff in not in there... but in the extruder definitions.

If you change it like this, the tool change retractions are back:

Thank you thank you<3

G10 S1 is back.

Now is the wiping of the nozzle on the tower away?

Is this possible to wipe the nozzle, still to get, or I have to compromise.

5a3322f370b96_AbwischenamTurm.thumb.JPG.d24600fdc7e5724dabc27d10fa13f746.JPG5a3322f347d2f_AbwischenamTurmnichtmehrvorhanden.thumb.JPG.a1cc4d1d82f92a0cab1bb959777e49a4.JPG

Thanks

P.S.: Here the changed files

@tinkergnome It does not work, because a G10 too much when changing the nozzle

G0 F7200 X124.199 Y133.227G10 S1G92 E0T1G92 E0M109 S195G10 [b](this one here)[/b]M104 T0 S170G0 X136.7 Y172 Z.5M204 S3000M205 X20;TYPE:SUPPORTG11G1 F3600 X124.1 Y172 E0.756

5a3322f370b96_AbwischenamTurm.thumb.JPG.d24600fdc7e5724dabc27d10fa13f746.JPG

5a3322f347d2f_AbwischenamTurmnichtmehrvorhanden.thumb.JPG.a1cc4d1d82f92a0cab1bb959777e49a4.JPG

Edited by Guest

Is this possible to wipe the nozzle, still to get, or I have to compromise.

I'm not aware that the start-/end positions are related to the wiping moves. The relations between all these settings are still a "grab bag" to me...

"Wipe Nozzle on Prime Tower" is still activated in the Cura profile?

The additional G10 should be ignored by the Marlin firmware, because it's already retracted. Have you noticed a different behavior?

BTW: I think we are on the wrong thread...

BTW: I think we are on the wrong thread...

- Yes, please stay on topic and if you want to discuss @Foehnsturm's (pretty amazing) approach to dual extrusion, please go here.

• Like 2

Thank you for saving my thread :p

I'm just wondering, will there ever be a spare parts kit for the UM3, like the maintenance kit for the UM2+? It might be worth having to hack my UMO+......

Yes, it degrades quickly by absorbing water from the air. So if you're not planning on using your printer for a couple of days it's best to remove the spool and store it in an airtight container, preferably with a pack of silica gel.

How fast it degrades depends on how humid it is where it's stored of course.

It can be dried out if moisture starts affecting print performance.

If PVA absorbed too much moisture it becomes unprintable, even if you try to dry it.

Our early test batches of PVA had this problem a lot. I don't know how, but the manufacturer of our PVA has managed to greatly improve the PVA on this area. Which increases the shelve life and "out of bag" life. Without this change, we might had given up on PVA.

But sealing it with some silica when you are not using it for a long time might not be a bad idea.

I'm just wondering, will there ever be a spare parts kit for the UM3, like the maintenance kit for the UM2+? It might be worth having to hack my UMO+......

There is a fair chance there will be something like a maintenance pack. Although the contents are not yet specified. However, I highly doubt these could be used as a starting-point to start hacking.

You would really need to replace a lot of crucial parts so a hack is really ambitious (not something I would recommend). It would probably consist of some print cores and other parts, which are useless without the head itself.

Edited by Guest