ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

nerdwarrior

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

Unfortunate :D

I was thinking along the lines of some new fans, belts, etc.

When the source files are released you can look up these individual parts and source them yourself if you still want to upgrade your Ultimaker 2(+).

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

The UM3 has 2 side fans but they aren't fans. They are blowers. Centrifugal blowers. They are pretty commonly used in electronics - especially laptops. Someone in this forum posted a head design with 2 blowers remarkably almost identical to the UM3 design but I don't know where the post is, sorry.

Blowers can take back pressure which means you can restrict the output, or aim the output, or channel the output through a passage. Fans can't take hardly any backpressure and pretty much do nothing when you restrict the air flow unless you are very very careful. Blowers are more appropriate for 3d printing.

Woah, that's a nice design!

Now I'm tempted to make a UMO+ E3D V6 mount with two of those blowers. Combined with neotko's awesome lrobertl feeder with the bondtech gears, my machine will be unstoppable :)

The fans are 5V instead of 12V, and a different form factor.

See https://ultimaker.com/en/community/23401-inside-the-ultimaker-3-day-4-electronics for just the changes in electronics between the UM2 and UM3.

Ahhh 5V: not really compatible with the UM2 board, is it? I would need four of them to get to the 19 - 24V. I guess I'll have to get some 12 V ones from somewhere else for my UMO+.

Anyone tried these fans before?

http://www.robotdigg.com/product/194/5015-12V-Blower-Fan

I can't tell if it's pwm controlled (it does say for cooling prints, so probably?) but it is 12 V and appropriately sized so it can be connected to the V2 board. I'm not sure about the performance, though.

Anyone tried these fans before?

http://www.robotdigg.com/product/194/5015-12V-Blower-Fan

I can't tell if it's pwm controlled (it does say for cooling prints, so probably?) but it is 12 V and appropriately sized so it can be connected to the V2 board. I'm not sure about the performance, though.

I think @Neotko is the expert in this area but as what I understood being pwm'able is barely ever listed as a feature with fans. You would kinda have to find it by trial and error (correct me if I am wrong Neo!)

@Nerdwarrior, same goes for you buddy ;).. this topic is about Ultimaker 3 ;)

Edited by Guest

Okay thanks!

And sorry for straying off topic :p

No problem. Keeping a close watch here ;)

Anyone wants to know or share anything else about the new Ultimaker 3? :)

No problem. Keeping a close watch here ;)

Anyone wants to know or share anything else about the new Ultimaker 3? :)

yes, it's awesome!

• Like 1

Robotdigg sells china clones, some work better than others. I would really ask them if the fans are PWM. In my experience not all fans can be pwm controlled.

Um3 uses the 5V fan version of this fans: http://www.mouser.fr/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?qs=%2fW4LtXOBxKsfL3eA88psUg%3d%3d

Curiously the same @gudo used on their um2 cool fan mod https://ultimaker.com/en/community/prints/4298-centrigugal-fans-duct-using-a-bottom-heat-resistant-air-blow-deflector

Fans and leds ain't plugged on the normal um2 board connection but now the board is more complex and has new connections to control the small boards inside the printer core, that's why now they can control left/right fan independently (not user accessible atm, but technically is there).

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Fans and leds ain't plugged on the normal um2 board connection but now the board is more complex and has new connections to control the small boards inside the printer core, that's why now they can control left/right fan independently (not user accessible atm, but technically is there).

Small correction, the fan connections are in the print head:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/23401-inside-the-ultimaker-3-day-4-electronics

Printer Core, that's the head no? Or was Main Core? Too many names :D By Printer Core I did mean the Print head, or the Print Core? ... confusing... The stuff that moves that has fans and white plastic :D!

Robotdigg sells china clones, some work better than others. I would really ask them if the fans are PWM. In my experience not all fans can be pwm controlled.

Um3 uses the 5V fan version of this fans: http://www.mouser.fr/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?qs=%2fW4LtXOBxKsfL3eA88psUg%3d%3d

Curiously the same @gudo used on their um2 cool fan mod https://ultimaker.com/en/community/prints/4298-centrigugal-fans-duct-using-a-bottom-heat-resistant-air-blow-deflector

Thanks! I just looked on Robotdigg because I'm also planning on getting some GT2 belts there.

And thanks for the link! It says it can receive up to 13.8 volts, so YAY I will be able to connect two of them to my board (I think).

On the topic of those fans, though, have you printed any overhang tests or bridging tests on your UM3? How does it perform?

I was also considering the fans that E3D sells, but if Ultimaker trusts their "most industrial grade printer" with those fans, I guess I'll go with them.

The printhead is still the printhead. But it has 2 print cores in it. It's not that hard ;)

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of soluble support prints from the UM3, but have any of you made any single material prints with large overhangs and supports? If you have, can I please see some pictures?

Thanks!

Ok so more back on topic. I'm not sure what I would like to know of the UM3, but I'm interested in stuff we didn't hear yet.

I guess this is mainly software related @daid @nallath, what kind of features can we expect in some point in time, either from UM, or things you would like to see the community do.

Examples that were already mentioned:

-Detecting filament empty/jam, and continuing with the other nozzle?

-NFC writing(add an NFC tag to your own spool, write in a certain format to it using your phone/UM and let the UM/cura read it and use it.)

-Using active leveling to resume prints, or something else if the new boards allow for it?

Going absolutely banana's, this is hardware hacking, something up @neotko or @foehnsturm alley. What about a print core changer :D Note, not triple extrusion but perhaps for nozzle sizes, or for using 3/4 cores: Walls(PLA), infill(same PLA), Walls/support(other material /PVA), infill/support(same other material/ PVA)

What else can we imagine possible :p?

@rooiejoris UM3 Z-unlimited hack for extruding high prints with solvable support

Just sparking some creativity among the community, and trying to get the UMstaff to tell us more about the roadmap of possible features incoming for as far as they are allowed to share ;)

When the source files are released you can look up these individual parts and source them yourself if you still want to upgrade your Ultimaker 2(+).

@SandervG curiouse about it so is there already a timeline defined for publishing the UM3 details (assume at GitHub)?

@titus about the spool tag

There seems there's already some basic programming to read/write info on the tags. Clearly @daid & his team are the cream of the cream of open source

This is device.py inside griffin/nfc on the UM3

# Send and receive data from an RFID tag. This is a raw data transfer.   # @param send_data: A bytes object containing the data to be send.   # @param receive_data_length: Integer which is the amount of data expected back from the tag.   # @return bytes object containing the resulting data, or None if a transmission error occurred.   # Calling code needs to handle the None, as tags can disappear from the field at any time.   def transceiveToSelected(self, send_data, receive_data_length, timeout=500):       receive_buffer = (ctypes.c_uint8 * receive_data_length)()       send_buffer = (ctypes.c_uint8 * len(send_data))()       send_buffer[:] = send_data       log.debug("Tranceiving data to NFC: %s", send_data)       result = _nfc.nfc_initiator_transceive_bytes(self.__pnd, send_buffer, len(send_buffer), receive_buffer, len(receive_buffer), timeout)       if result < 0:           log.debug("No data returned...")           return None       log.debug("Result: %s", bytes(receive_buffer[:result]))       return bytes(receive_buffer[:result])

So the code exist, is just a matter of months for someone with programing skills to made an add-on to allow you to reuse the spool RFID tags after using them. Go recycle!

Also answering your mod question. My first mods to do are using 1.75mm, even when Adafruit say that it works with it 'outofthebox' with 1.75 (Something that disagree on a level beyond words). Also I want to change the feeder, since I never like it, but I must say despite my personal opinion I'm starting to see that it does an cool job. But you know @titus how much I care about my beloved retractions. Also I just finished 2 basic profiles to make it work on Simplify3D (even tho Cura heat/cool works quite amazing to speed up the prints). For the future I don't know, first I need 1.75 to adapt it my current stock of filaments, and also I want to do some test to improve.. stuff... Ofc I want disco mode (so printer colors change while doing infill/perimeters/etcetc asap, something quite easy with the search/replace scripts of S3D.