ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

nerdwarrior

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

To get back on the subject, what do I need to print in 2 colors (same material)? Do I need 2 AA print heads? So straight from the box 2 colors isn't possible?

Indeed that's right and also isn't exactly like that.

AA cores can't print PVA but BB cores can print PLA.

The print test that comes with your um3 was done using your cores (so they are calibrated outofthebox). The only issue has printing PLA on a BB core is that isn't designed for it and it will drip more, so the prints won't look as good as a AA+AA.

The part that I'm not sure it's if Cura will let you slice. If cura doesn't let you, just lie to Cura and set Both cores to AA+AA. Afaik you can send the gcode but you will get a warning on the printer saying that the gcode and configuration doesn't match (I think you can skip that and print anyway).

Edited by Guest

Posted · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

To get back on the subject, what do I need to print in 2 colors (same material)? Do I need 2 AA print heads? So straight from the box 2 colors isn't possible?

Looking at the specs, the Ultimaker 3 comes with 2 x AA cores and 1 x BB core, so two colours is possible straight out of the box

• Like 1

Looking at the specs, the Ultimaker 3 comes with 2 x AA cores and 1 x BB core, so two colours is possible straight out of the box

Nice thanks! But then I would I need more cores? Is there a risk that it might have a failure with no repair?

Cura will let you slice PLA with BB core, but wont let you slice PVA with an AA core.

As a rule of thumb Cura will warn you when we believe the results are wrong, but won't damage your printer (We don't know the truth, so we won't prevent you from doing this). If you are doing something that can damage your printer or is simply physically impossible (Layer height of 0, speeds above the speed of light, etc) slicing wont happen.

We've tested quite a bit with nozzle geometries and found out that printing PVA with a AA nozzle will result in PVA getting stuck inside the nozzle, which will then start to degrade and ruin the entire thing. Hence Cura preventing you from doing this.

• Like 1

Nice thanks! But then I would I need more cores? Is there a risk that it might have a failure with no repair?

so for a more complete answer;

yes the UM3 comes out of the boxed with an installed AA and BB core, pre-calibrated. there is a "spare" AA core that you can use to have AA+AA prints, with dual material in dual color. you will have to recalibrate but the printer will remember the cores that you used thanks to the serial numbers. so once you have calibrated the AA+BB and the AA+AA you can exchange them at will.

and yes, you will need more cores. the AA cores are consumables. after a certain set of hours or wear, the print quality will go down and you will have to replace them. the good news is that you don't need to go through the UM2+ spiel, so no disassembling of the printhead for changing of couplers, fans or nozzles, but just a simple consumable. costs should be identical or lower as compared to the Um2+.

True I forgot that UM3 comes with 3 cores, two AA and one BB. Sorry for the confusion

Of course it depends on how you use the machine and treat your print cores, but with normal use we have done our best to bring that risk down to a minimum.

You should be able to use your print cores for quite some time.

yes the UM3 comes out of the boxed with an installed AA and BB core, pre-calibrated. there is a "spare"  AA core that you can use to have AA+AA prints, with dual material in dual color

I believe this is incorrect, the printers we have received does only have one AA installed and a AA and a BB in the Accessory box, and it asks you to insert the BB during the initial start up guide.

Yes, @meduza is correct, only one AA is installed (it says in the unboxing section of the UM3 online manual).

yes the UM3 comes out of the boxed with an installed AA and BB core, pre-calibrated. there is a "spare"  AA core that you can use to have AA+AA prints, with dual material in dual color

I believe this is incorrect, the printers we have received does only have one AA installed and a AA and a BB in the Accessory box, and it asks you to insert the BB during the initial start up guide.

sorry i totally misphrased :)

i meant that indeed, the AA is in the machine, there is an AA and a BB in the box, and the BB in the box has already been precalibrated with the BB core so that right at the start you can use AA+BB without calibriation.

How long does calibration take?

about 20min

As long as you don't try to take apart the cores there is little you can do to break them ;)

And you can get a lot of hours out of one core, so it's not like you need one every X times.

Posted (edited) · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

you will have to recalibrate but the printer will remember the cores that you used thanks to the serial numbers. so once you have calibrated the AA+BB and the AA+AA you can exchange them at will.

well..... almost. the calibration is 'remembered' per set of core's in the correct order. if you use a set of core's that's already calibrated, but switch there position in the head (left/right) you need to re calibrate.  So if you don't want to bother to keep a set in the same order you have to calibrate each set 2x (which is peanuts on the lifetime of a core.....)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

20 minutes is okay. Is the calibration fully automated or do you have to do stuff?

20 minutes is okay. Is the calibration fully automated or do you have to do stuff?

you have to do stuff, here's the manual;

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23125-print-cores

Oh my it seems like a pain. Another reason why not to use two separate hotends :)

Oh my it seems like a pain. Another reason why not to use two separate hotends :)

Considering most of the users will keep the same two cores plugged most of the time, the calibration process is not a daily thing. In case you needed to go from AA+AA to AA+BB, I would strongly recommend to order the prints so you only need to recalibrate once.

And about using a one nozzle multi extrusion approach, there's one big limitation: temperature. Both materials need to have very similar temperatures. If it wasn't for that, it would definitely be the best option in my opinion. :D

It really is not. It's super simple and you hardly ever have to do it....

How many hours are rated those cores for ?.

I understand UM has done many endurance tests, right?.

I belive you must change the whole core once the nozzle tip wears out, am I correct ?

Considering most of the users will keep the same two cores plugged most of the time, the calibration process is not a daily thing. In case you needed to go from AA+AA to AA+BB, I would strongly recommend to order the prints so you only need to recalibrate once.

And about using a one nozzle multi extrusion approach, there's one big limitation: temperature. Both materials need to have very similar temperatures. If it wasn't for that, it would definitely be the best option in my opinion. :D

So it's like changing filament; finish one before moving on :)

How many hours are rated those cores for ?.

I understand UM has done many endurance tests, right?.

I belive you must change the whole core once the nozzle tip wears out, am I correct ?

The nozzle itself will probably last about as long as your average brass nozzle, which is pretty long unless you constantly feed it carbon fiber. The downside of the print cores is that you can't change out individual nozzles, but that's for the sake of increased reliability and less hassle.