ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

nerdwarrior

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

Ok, so when do I get my printer? My order went into 3dgbire at 4:16...I have to be high on the list for printers in the UK?!? When do I get it when do I get it when do I get it??? :-)

• Like 1

no "light dual extrusion upgrade kit" for my ultimaker 2+ I bought one month ago,:( very dissapointed

I understand that disappointment but I think that would be a huge upgrade. I have a different mindset though as I've had my 2+ since February and not just for a month. The 3 is an additional $1000 over the 2+ so that is a pretty big difference for the additional features. It's not really in the same pricing category.

While not obvious from the first photos, the Ultimaker 3 has different electronics, full color LEDs instead of just white, a new printer head, a new print bed a new spool holder for the NFC (but that could be optional)

So you could re-use a single feeder, the motors, the motor covers, the slider blocks, belts and the 8mm axis. Oh, end the end switches. Everything else you would need to change. So an upgrade kit is not really feasible. So many need holes and changes to the external casing that you would need a new one of that as well.

Don't worry tough, the UM2+ is still a VERY good machine. Our spare one at the office runs just as much as the spare UM3 at our office.

• Like 3

no "light dual extrusion upgrade kit" for my ultimaker 2+ I bought one month ago,:( very dissapointed

I understand that disappointment but I think that would be a huge upgrade. I have a different mindset though as I've had my 2+ since February and not just for a month. The 3 is an additional $1000 over the 2+ so that is a pretty big difference for the additional features. It's not really in the same pricing category.

While not obvious from the first photos, the Ultimaker 3 has different electronics, full color LEDs instead of just white, a new printer head, a new print bed a new spool holder for the NFC (but that could be optional)

So you could re-use a single feeder, the motors, the motor covers, the slider blocks, belts and the 8mm axis. Oh, end the end switches. Everything else you would need to change. So an upgrade kit is not really feasible. So many need holes and changes to the external casing that you would need a new one of that as well.

Don't worry tough, the UM2+ is still a VERY good machine. Our spare one at the office runs just as much as the spare UM3 at our office.

Btw men great firmware!! You guys did an awesome job! Can't wait for gcode info. M142 rxxc gxxx bxxx something chnages the led colors right? Also happy to see you around!

• Like 1

The Ultimaker 3 looks awesome. Purchased my UM2+ two weeks ago, received it one week ago (just before the teaser was released).. and the swedish reseller didn't even mention something was around the corner. The higher cost of the UM3 would probably not have been a deal breaker for us either. So very disappointed about that, even though I'm sure the UM2+ still will be a great printer.

i think support material will be different to release from the actual print without any damage...

What? I'm sorry, but I frankly didn't understand half of that. Damage? To what?

support material sometimes difficult to clean...

It looks a lot like the Voladora-2 printer made in Spain. Two tilting nozzles, Linux controller board, ... Just about the same price. Only about two years later....

.. and the swedish reseller didn't even mention something was around the corner.

No reseller was allowed to disclose anything (not even the existence) of this upcoming launch before a date ~10 days ago, under strict orders from Ultimaker, so they cannot really be blamed for not acting in conflict with their contract...

Absolutely!

"First, lets tease them all with actually PRINTING that we are going to have a dual extruder for the Ultimaker 2+ and get them to buy one. (go ahead, check the forum. It was in there) Then, most of the way through, lets just tell them we are scrapping the idea for good.

Then, Lets make a whole new printer WITH the dual extruder and charge so much more for it, it will be unexplainable."

So, since I cant print any of my customers complex prints (and lets face it, how often do we get "simple" designs to print?) because the support structure removal is just so labor intensive and leaves such a horrible finish, the customer is better off going with Protolabs or ANY other 3D printing prototype house, do I just get to trade my Ultimaker 2+ Extended in for FULL PRICE against a new one with the previously promised dual extruder???

Hi guys,

UM2 and 2+ owners, don't worry. I'm pretty sure Ultimaker won't leave you behind.

dodeca-orig.thumb.jpg.d85184f554880625713492c0f7cac5bb.jpg

dodeca-orig.thumb.jpg.d85184f554880625713492c0f7cac5bb.jpg

• Like 2

@neotko, wow less than 1 sec, can you read my stuff before I actually post it :p

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

UM2 and 2+ owners, don't worry. I'm pretty sure Ultimaker's community will not leave you behind.

Fixed that for you.

72508636.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

Absolutely!

"First, lets tease them all with actually PRINTING that we are going to have a dual extruder for the Ultimaker 2+ and get them to buy one. (go ahead, check the forum. It was in there) Then, most of the way through, lets just tell them we are scrapping the idea for good.

Then, Lets make a whole new printer WITH the dual extruder and charge so much more for it, it will be unexplainable."

So, since I cant print any of my customers complex prints (and lets face it, how often do we get "simple" designs to print?) because the support structure removal is just so labor intensive and leaves such a horrible finish, the customer is better off going with Protolabs or ANY other 3D printing prototype house, do I just get to trade my Ultimaker 2+ Extended in for FULL PRICE against a new one with the previously promised dual extruder???

OK, let's try be calm, and try to consider it another way: remove nfc, wifi and Ethernet. Remaining in the framework of the Arduino platform, with its miserable resources can be implemented with the incredible "dancing with a tambourine" as it is called in my country. And to achieve in these conditions a stable quality without constant calibration before each print is simply unrealistic. That is why, in my humble opinion, didn't happen two-headed printing on the second generation. If you compare the BOM of the second and third generation, remain unchanged, only a few body panels, stepper and other small things. Overwhelmingly it's really a different model without backward hardware compatibility.

• Like 3

For me personally it's more interesting next thing: will there be a problem with ordinary spools of filament? I was under the impression that the new printer is tough enough sharpened by ultimaker's spools with nfc token.

• Like 1

Absolutely!

Where was it said that the UM2+ would have dual extrusion? "On the forum" is not good enough, I want a link.

Why did you buy a printer that you knew couldn't produce the models your customers wanted from you?

As others have pointed out, the difference between the UM2+ and UM3 is bigger than it looks. An upgrade kit just isn't economically sane to do considering how much you'd have to replace.

I have a 2 and 2+ that print 24/7 and will no doubt get the 3. It looks like everything I'd hoped my 2 would be

But I am concerned that the reseller tells me the new interchangeable nozzle cartridge cost £99+VAT (!!) and only come in brass 0.4? (so far?) Perhaps more will come, but do we really need to dispose of a heater and temp sensor if a nozzle gets clogged up or worn?

I really hope that sub assembly still has a nozzle that can be unscrewed otherwise this is going to get expensive.

Since the origination of the olsson block it is a core part of the process to consume nozzles. I must have a hundred in a wide range of sizes and materials including stainless for filled grades, and sort used ones by material type. Even with atomic pull there is always a film of charred material left behind. (Probably some of this gunge is dust from the surface of the filament and I've never understood why there isn't a sealed unit for handling and dispensing filament.) anyway at £7.50 its no biggie to replace and only takes a moment. But to upgrade my current nozzle stock with the new version, assuming UM even do other diameters and stainless grades is going to cost thousands unless I have misunderstood.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

But I am concerned that the reseller tells me the new interchangeable nozzle cartridge cost £99+VAT (!!) and only come in brass 0.4? (so far?) Perhaps more will come, but do we really need to dispose of a heater and temp sensor if a nozzle gets clogged up or worn?

I really hope that sub assembly still has a nozzle that can be unscrewed otherwise this is going to get stupidly expensive.

I also have a huge stock of different filaments and am not interested in getting locked into UM only versions.

Yes, that's the price. And yes, more is coming.

The nozzle can be unscrewed but it's not compatible with Olsson-style nozzles. And if you start taking the core apart you're on your own of course. I have no doubt after market parts will be made available by third parties.

You will not be locked in. You can still use non-chipped filament without any issues (unless you count one or two clicks on the menu an issue :)).

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

.. and the swedish reseller didn't even mention something was around the corner.

No reseller was allowed to disclose anything (not even the existence) of this upcoming launch before a date ~10 days ago, under strict orders from Ultimaker, so they cannot really be blamed for not acting in conflict with their contract...

Still, they could have recommended us to wait 10 more days then, without mentioning anything about what brand or model that was being launched. "Just wait 10 more days and make your decision then", would have been of great value to us, especially when we were going for our first printer in this niche area of products.

Anyways, I'm happy with the UM2+ so far, but I'm buying from your company next time. ;)

• Like 1

Yes, that's the price. And yes, more is coming.

The nozzle can be unscrewed but it's not compatible with Olsson-style nozzles. And if you start taking the core apart you're on your own of course. I have no doubt after market parts will be made available by third parties.

yikes. So to have my 0.25, 0.4, 0.5, 0.8, 1.0 in Brass and Stainless Steel for PLA, ABS, CPE, Nylon, PVA, Carbon Fibre Filled, WoodFill, BrassFill, etc etc = 5 x 2 x 10 x £99 = £9900 plus VAT - (if I don't go as far as sorting by colour in which case x 10 again) and if UM even make these nozzle sizes and stainless available.

I think that is the definition of being locked in for nozzles...

Edited by Guest

Hello  Forum! I want to ask if there will be other nozzle sizes for the ultimaker 3...

and what about the cores? do they have like a teflon coupler like the ultimaker 2+?

what about materials like copper fill and bronze fill? no prob with that?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

yikes. So to have my 0.25, 0.4, 0.5, 0.8, 1.0 in Brass and Stainless Steel for PLA, ABS, CPE, Nylon, PVA, Carbon Fibre Filled, WoodFill, BrassFill, etc etc = 5 x 2 x 10 x £99 = £9900 plus VAT - (if I don't go as far as sorting by colour in which case x 10 again) and if UM even make these nozzle sizes and stainless available.

I think that is being locked in for nozzles...

I guess you don't really need all the combinations but you want to make a point...

I really do like the core's (I was in the test group) they are really versatile. The temp goes to 280c. I printed PLA/ABS/CPE/NYLON all without atomic in between and had no problem.

I used to print ABS on a UM2+E3Dv6, but IMHO that was a pure ABS setup, crap for PLA. This core can just do all the materials I need, so much more flexible.

I personally like to keep separate sets for PLA and the stuff that needs to be printed hot like ABS. I don't want stainless steel at all, hate it, there's a new ruby nozzle coming out for the UM2, much better than stainless.

I guess I save the abrasive materials for my UM2 for now, until a 3th party steps in to deliver nozzles to "refurbish" the core's.

Hello  Forum! I want to ask if there will be other nozzle sizes for the ultimaker 3...

and what about the cores? do they have like a teflon coupler like the ultimaker 2+?

Yes there will be other sizes in the future.

The cores do have a TFM lining, but it is not in direct contact with the hot parts like the UM2 hotend, but are protected by a double heatbreak, so it should never reach temperatures above 100C and last a very very long time.

Edited by Guest