Made by the new Ultimaker

SandervG

Posted · Made by the new Ultimaker

I got this feeling that this will no longer be open source

It will be for sure, OpenSource is the reason why Ultimaker is still here, and still a leader in their market. And it's something they are very proud off and that makes everybody go forward.

They usually publish everything 6 months after the release.

I got this feeling that this will no longer be open source

It will be for sure, OpenSource is the reason why Ultimaker is still here, and still a leader in their market. And it's something they are very proud off and that makes everybody go forward.

The open source feeling is something that is strongly supported inside the company. It's part of our core values. It's also a fairly strong recruiting tool, especially for software developers. I don't think that we're going to change that any time soon.

didn't you see the latest render leaked?

3D printing will be great again :)

UltiTrump.thumb.png.cfa0933b288468d1cf9a1f050d9bbf48.png

• Like 7

didn't you see the latest render leaked?

3D printing will be great again :)

I heard i can make great walls

• Like 5

You Guys are Killing Me! Can't wait to see my new printer! LOL

no "light dual extrusion upgrade" kit for my ultimaker 2+ I bought one month ago :( I'm soooo dissapointed

EECKHOUT,

there *is* such upgrade. It just costs 3K+VAT .

Posted (edited) · Made by the new Ultimaker

I'm disappointed.

I mean, a reliable dual extrusion looks fine, but there is nothing really innovative for that price point.

People already developed equally interesting ways to do it, even as hacks on UM2/UM2+ models.

Those new "print cores" look like unnecessary complicated swappable hot-ends that are pretty far from the "keep-it-simple" approach and will probably be overpriced. Doesn't really fit in the open-source mindset.

But that's probably fine, as you are now only targeting professionals.

Edited by Guest

Yeah I think just as UM2+ is a reliable single hotend printer when they did UM3 they build it to be a reliable 24h printing machine, and to get that you need to make big changes. One thing is to print casually, but to be able to deliver prints and prints without surprises you need rebuild it to the 'core'.

• Like 1

Since we have tested the new machines for a few weeks I can say that I am pretty pleased that Ultimaker kept its open source mentality and build a machine that is user friendly *and* advanced user friendly at the same time. You are able to turn off every automatism the printer has and run it over spec.

The print cores are awesome as they were able to take very different materials without a hitch. Printing ABS right after PLA and then Nylon and CPE is not something you'd have a nice memento of with other printers... Only PVA was problematic for me - even with the dedicated "BB" core.

Incorrect, this tool is open to everyone! Ultimaker has so many models to choose from, based on your budget and level of need. I'd suggest spending time with one. Being open will mean the community will continue to test and improve everything.

no "light dual extrusion upgrade" kit for my ultimaker 2+ I bought one month ago :(I'm soooo dissapointed

Hopefully there actually is, but it has not been announced like the UM3 because it's still in development and made by the community (@foehnsturm is the our saviour!)

Since we have tested the new machines for a few weeks I can say that I am pretty pleased that Ultimaker kept its open source mentality and build a machine that is user friendly *and* advanced user friendly at the same time. You are able to turn off every automatism the printer has and run it over spec.

The print cores are awesome as they were able to take very different materials without a hitch. Printing ABS right after PLA and then Nylon and CPE is not something you'd have a nice memento of with other printers... Only PVA was problematic for me - even with the dedicated "BB" core.

i can only second that.. been testing the Um3 for a while now and i run a 24/7 operation based on UM2s.. the Um3 is a different beast altogether, it's not better or worse then the Um2, it's different... and I love the new machine!

• Like 1

i can only second that.. been testing the Um3 for a while now and i run a 24/7 operation based on UM2s.. the Um3 is a different beast altogether, it's not better or worse then the Um2, it's different... and I love the new machine!

I can only agree. Being a tester as well, I was rather sceptical at the beginning concerning the cores. Mainly, because the heater block was significantly reduced in size and material. But they are just great; the temperature is stable and the print quality is just great.

Amazing results with great prints but a very expensive machine imo, the UM3 extended is 4470 euros, that's a lot of money.

A bit cheaper than the ZORTRAX M300, but still...

This is becoming a very expensive hobby to print statues :D

• Like 2

I've been comparing UM3 and UM2 tool changer for a short while now ;)

The UM3 offers a lot of stuff the UM2 never will (wifi, camera, bed leveling, huge linux brain, high temp print cores, ...).

But if you focus on print quality it's a tight race.

You can even use the same slicing settings in Cura. Just switch from UM3 to the tool changer profile and print it on the UM2.

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.142d6dd8e1fe3620ae88050bed710ef2.JPGtoothbrush-1.thumb.jpg.41d6b3ba39db4247a4e026a5d537e32a.jpg

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.142d6dd8e1fe3620ae88050bed710ef2.JPG

toothbrush-1.thumb.jpg.41d6b3ba39db4247a4e026a5d537e32a.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

This machine is targeting professionals. You are completely right as to other hackers/ makers already doing it. But the point in getting 3D printing to the next level is not so much being able to do something once (With or without a healthy dose of duc-tape and tie-wraps), but to do it consistantly and reliably. Thats what mid and high end professionals need. That is the reason for the UM3.

• Like 1

Could you guys please tell us a bit more about Thomas Sanladerer statement on YouTube:

When will I be able to publish a review ?

If we were to listen to Ultimaker, it would be at least 2 months after the first machine shipped. So the earliest would be some time in 2017

(at 3min 41sec)

Why is that ?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

@foehnsturm

Hi foehnstorm,

i love your mod (tool changer) and here my question:

is it possible to fit your mod to a UMO (even without the puls) or UMO+

or is there a principle incompatibility e.g. needs Um2 electronics.

i currently have an UMO from one of the first batches 1.5.7 electronics with self made heated bed and dual extrusion kit. so is there a chance to install a tool changer for such an outdated system.

i would love to print dual with nice quality and water soluble support.

thanks for all your efforts and sharing your great work.

I've been comparing UM3 and UM2 tool changer for a short while now ;)

The UM3 offers a lot of stuff the UM2 never will (wifi, camera, bed leveling, huge linux brain, high temp print cores, ...).

But if you focus on print quality it's a tight race.

You can even use the same slicing settings in Cura. Just switch from UM3 to the tool changer profile and print it on the UM2.

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.142d6dd8e1fe3620ae88050bed710ef2.JPGtoothbrush-1.thumb.jpg.41d6b3ba39db4247a4e026a5d537e32a.jpg

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible and if i recall well the first prototype of the magnetic tool changer was on a UMO (maybe i'm wrong)

• Like 1

Yep, I think you are right Didier.

If you guys want more info, you can take a look at this thread: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer?page=1&sort=