Can someone offer a 1.75mm kit for UM2+?

Posted · Can someone offer a 1.75mm kit for UM2+?

Hi, I want to get a Palette so I would like to mod my UM2+ for 1.75mm, however I'm timid about doing the mod and stuff. There are lots of unknowns and information exists in multiple threads and such. If someone who has been there / done that would put together a purchase list with instructions, it might sell well...

Les

Well installing the kit requires taking apart the head. If you have never done that why not look at a few guides first to see if you think it looks hard. Here is my page about it:

http://gr5.org/olsson/

Which links to a great guide here:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/62-installing-the-olsson-block-kit

As well as my old instructions here:

http://gr5.org/olsson/old_instructions.html

The above link has links to two videos. I recommend you watch those if you are at all nervous about the procedure.

• Like 1

Hi @Gr5,

let's say I order a UM2+ extended, modify it with the 1.75mm kit.

Will it print the same quality (or better ;) ).

Looking in to this option because we have 1.75mm printers at the moment,

would be nice to have only one size of filament in stock....

Regards Kees

Hi @Gr5,

let's say I order a UM2+ extended, modify it with the 1.75mm kit.

Will it print the same quality (or better ;) ).

Looking in to this option because we have 1.75mm printers at the moment,

would be nice to have only one size of filament in stock....

Regards Kees

If you go 1.75mm route I would use a bondtech as feeder to have aplug&play extruder (as much as that's possible). The standard feeder of um2+ cannot handle 1.75 perfectly (been trying with some mods and isn't reliable).

Of course it could be great if @bondtech released something to use their gears on aum2+ motor. I think is totally doable and would make a easier mod.

Anyhow, 1.75mm needs less pressure to extrude than 2.85mm, also with a good feeder (I use a modded FatIrobertI using the cheap DIY parts of bondtech, google my name on youmagine for the design). So imo for some kind of prints you can get cleaner results, but also I seen the prints done by @gudo with his full bondtech and it seems just as good.

So, better quality, not 100% sure atm. But isn't a hard mod if you have some knowhow around the printer. The key part is the extruder, it must use a mk7-8 or a bondtech diy kit or if you can afford it a full bondtech.

The part that I think 3dsolex is missing on the 1.75 market is to offer a full ready to install version, it would make things easier to users than want to change from one to another filament size.

Would be nice if someone at UM R&D could make it a plug & play kit or Option, there should be some time left with the UM3 in production ;).

I am not in a hurry, I sleep on it for a few nights.

Spending 3000€ is easy to do, but would be nice to start printing an hour after unboxing :). tinkering and experimenting is fun and fine as a hobby at home, but not for a company. Ordering and storing 10 extra 2.85mm rolls of filament, might be a easier option.

I think the quality is about the same. 3dsolex has the kit - get it from them, not me.

I remember you - I met you next to a large egg. That was almost 2 years ago maybe.

Anyway, I found the quality to be the same but I only printed one spool - maybe 50 prints. But I don't think it will work well with ninjaflex unless you also modify the bowden. The modification to 1.75mm is not a big deal - there are a few videos and some websites but if you will be printing a lot maybe it's best to just get 2.85mm filament.

• Like 1

The modification is too extensive and has too many variables for me personally. Then again i'm timid about such things. I'd rather figure out a way to dowhat I want to d0 with one filament (which I may have done so) than to wrestle with mods. But that's just me. Maybe if we all express interest, Ultimaker will make future printers run on both filament diameters - as is the case with the competition (Taz for example).

Les