Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
wongti

Searching for the possibility to use the USB port in Ultimaker 2 Extended + to output serial commands

Dear Ultimaker,

Currently we are thinking of the possibility to add in commands inside the gcode so that we can sending some serial commands to our external device, a voltage tunable USB pneumatic pump, so that it can pumping some liquid to the ultimaker heated bed. May we find out how can we utilize the USB port to achieve our purpose? Is there any firmware we can use?

Ten It

Well you could make lines that echo info on the gcode. Or maybe it could be easier to control the led gcode (I think is M42?? Can't remember now) to use more or less led pwm and use that to control your external device?

Dunno, it depends on how you actually will read what happens on the printer. Check the full gcode table googling Marlin Ultimaker 2 and read all the gcode available. That could be a nice start

Well you could make lines that echo info on the gcode. Or maybe it could be easier to control the led gcode (I think is M42?? Can't remember now) to use more or less led pwm and use that to control your external device?

Dunno, it depends on how you actually will read what happens on the printer. Check the full gcode table googling Marlin Ultimaker 2 and read all the gcode available. That could be a nice start

Hi Neotko,

Thanks for your reply. do you mean that something like

M42 Px  Sy?

do you know the pin id for the USB port? do you have any clue of keywords which i should use to find the pin id for the USB port in ultimaker 2?

I am new to 3D printing and sorry that if my question is too naive to be posted here.

Ten It

M42 without pointing to a PIN just changes LED PWM.

M42 S255 turn it on and M42 S0 turn it off.

I suppose you could do calls to pins directly, but that's beyond what I know.

The list of pins is on the Marlin firmware, check the file pins.h

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/tree/UM2.1_JarJarExtended

M42 without pointing to a PIN just changes LED PWM.

M42 S255 turn it on and M42 S0 turn it off.

I suppose you could do calls to pins directly, but that's beyond what I know.

The list of pins is on the Marlin firmware, check the file pins.h

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/tree/UM2.1_JarJarExtended

Thanks, Neotko, will try to read and find the things we need. Thank you.