Ultimaker 3 has some sweet new features!

vince805

Posted · Ultimaker 3 has some sweet new features!

The swappable print cores look very cool.

Of course the dual extrusion is awesome!

Active leveling is nice.

Integrated camera, but will it work with octoprint?

wifi! woohoo!

NFC read with chips on the spools... thats cool i guess.

Overall I like the new upgrades but then I saw the price and for now I am happy with my 2+. If I was in the market for a new printer though I would probably get the 3.

And it has a 'brain' Linux ssh totally accessible by ssh that controls the motion board. Is amazing what this can and will do. You can even make your own scripts for each gcode if so you desire.

For me is an amazing printer that's clearly focused on producing fantastic PVA supports. Also fantastic dual color prints.

Also yeah UM2+ is still the best single hotend printer you can get IMO.

And it has a 'brain' Linux ssh totally accessible by ssh that controls the motion board.

That's awesome! I didn't know about that. I didn't get to watch the videos yet, just saw the tweets. This is going to be an exciting printer to watch what the community does with when they get their hands on it.

and +1 on the UM2+ being the best single head. Still 100% happy with my purchase of it.

Yeah ssh root enter, and edit almost everything. I don't have full info about the marlin that uses but I had the chance to have one and give input to ultimaker (along with other beta testers) and I see a lot of hack-able stuff there.

Curiously the stuff I do enjoy more is the camera and being able to open an ip to see how's the printer going.

You can even ask for a realtime log of the temperature, power use, bed temp, everything. As soon they release some basic guides or the firmware this will be a modding paradise. But ofc, is still a printer made for pva and dual materials.

Yes but I don't know how many details I can or can't give.

Been playing and toying with the firmware and with some extra programming you actually could have a full absolute control from a http. Is a weird felling when you get inside and you see that marlin works just like a driver.

Afaik they can totally do it and as soon they release more info it should be totally doable. Also if anyone plans to hack it better start learning python.

And it has a 'brain' Linux ssh totally accessible by ssh that controls the motion board.

That's awesome! I didn't know about that. I didn't get to watch the videos yet, just saw the tweets. This is going to be an exciting printer to watch what the community does with when they get their hands on it.

and +1 on the UM2+ being the best single head. Still 100% happy with my purchase of it.

It's still on my list to learn some programming or understand how firmware really works, but from the designer perspective, this printer opens new possibilities not even the engineers imagined about. We will hack it until it bricks!

• Like 3

i think new design comes with solid aleminum frame istead of using composite material....i think they could use touchscreen instead of old design just like formlab2 did it...extruder looks fantastic...

any info on what hardware this linux ssh runs on? I might think oldschool hw, but running a webserver for http access on a running printer might steal resources for 'printing'

IIRC it's an Olimex A20 board.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 has some sweet new features!

It's worst feature it the product page, which takes around 30 seconds to paint the fricking logo - what clown designed that horrid page?

Oh yeah, and the fact that build volume hasn't changed in several years. Do you people only make toys? So far for me, it's a ho-hum announcement.

Edited by Guest

Can anyone give some insight into the print heads? Is the nozzle an integral part of that unit? Can the nozzles be changed or do I need to put a whole new print head in?

I am curious since a new AA or BB head is priced at $114.95 here in the US. If I need multiple nozzle sizes, that gets really pricey fast. Especially if there is an issue/clog etc and the head becomes useless.

The nozzles are kind of fixed. They might leak after being exchanged. But you can print PLA right after Nylon without problems.

Anyway, someone from the community will figure something out... ;)

Edited by Guest

Yeah. Also for what I understand there's a reason to make just one size, it allows them to deliver profiles, materials, cura and printer that work. It could be easy to make lots of sizes but also it could be a nightmare to be able to actually deliver good quality without having to tune everything every single time. So this way they can deliver a working solution that works.

And about the nozzles I bet is just a matter of time. But also this machine is really focused on unbox, setup, print.

In the main video, as the print head does the first layer of what looks like support material, there is a tail where the material started and when the nozzle comes back around it clips it and you can see a wave set up in the first tracing. Yep, reset. I've seen that story too many times.

Really impressed with the printer. Just as long as I can still use third party filament. The drop and rise nozzle is really interesting. While it all looks good I really am going to wait for the reports back. My biggest struggle is still bed adhesion. That is the next issue I want to see nailed down- so to speak.

Just as long as I can still use third party filament.

You will of course be able to use whatever filament you want with the printer, you will just have to select the filament manually on the display (like on the UM2) instead of getting it automatically identified via NFC.

My biggest struggle is still bed adhesion.

This is helped somewhat by the active bed leveling that compensates for some imperfections in your bed leveling.

Edited by Guest

This is helped somewhat by the active bed leveling that compensates for some imperfections in your bed leveling.

Actually, they could start by shipping flat glass beds & PCB heater, and straight rods ...

Yeah, none of those were correct on my printer.

I would love to see an App that can see and control the UM3,

would that be possible, or is it in the works already :)

Yes there will be, not sure when it will be released, but there's already a closed beta. I have also no idea what features they will still add, but the most important one's for me I'm sure will be in; monitoring your machine remotely (it has a build in camera) and aborting the machine when you want/need.

The app needs (at least the closed beta) a connection to your local network, but it only took me a few minutes to setup a VPN on my router, so I'm live from my phone everywhere....

About bed adhesion: I tested PLA, CPE, ABS and Nylon on the UM3 and they all stuck pretty well with white glue solution to the bed. Adhesion was actually so good I had to put the glass into the freezer.

You can even ask for a realtime log of the temperature, power use, bed temp, everything.

You don't need SSH acces for that. There is a nice REST API that spits out json files that hold all this data (and allows you to POST/PUT new data).

You can even ask for a realtime log of the temperature, power use, bed temp, everything.

You don't need SSH acces for that. There is a nice REST API that spits out json files that hold all this data (and allows you to POST/PUT new data).

This specific API can even output cvs files. Example:

http://{ip}/api/v1/printer/diagnostics/temperature_flow/10000?cvs=1

Returns the last 10000 samples of the temperature graph, as a downloadable CVS file.

• Like 2

Indeed, there's a few html that can give info directly by http like

log.html

temperature.html

This one I love it because it shows in real time the temperature and more stuff

5a332298440cd_Capturadepantalla2016-10-19alas11_22_20.thumb.png.32b349b3fbb924348ba5d55642084b56.png

Also you can see the Webcam streaming directly on http

yourIP:8080/?action=stream

5a3322986f211_Capturadepantalla2016-10-19alas11_24_11.thumb.png.783edf578af07cfa8c4ca9c9353b2a47.png

Also there's plenty of services open to talk with the machine, that need post/get auth.

Umm REST API.. I'll have to learn more, I been trying to hack-chop the UM3. Also I had to learn all the gcodes by reading most of the pythons, but now that @Daid made a post about the gcodes that's easier too.

5a332298440cd_Capturadepantalla2016-10-19alas11_22_20.thumb.png.32b349b3fbb924348ba5d55642084b56.png

5a3322986f211_Capturadepantalla2016-10-19alas11_24_11.thumb.png.783edf578af07cfa8c4ca9c9353b2a47.png

• Like 1

5a33229c270bc_ultimaker3plus.thumb.jpg.74e99a95e531d6cb8f5851b752b44bbe.jpg here is my idea for ultimaker 3+ :)

5a33229c270bc_ultimaker3plus.thumb.jpg.74e99a95e531d6cb8f5851b752b44bbe.jpg

Is the 24V power new? What does that mean to performance? Is it to drive two hot ends and the bed better?

Is the 24V power new? What does that mean to performance? Is it to drive two hot ends and the bed better?

It uses the same PSU from Meanwell. The bed heating time va my UMO+ is 8-10C faster to reach 60C The hotends also heat freaking fast. I used a potentiometer and the sensor is a PT100 (no surprise there) and the heaters seem 20W, but they actually heat SO fast. Like 2-3C per second fast. Don't trust me much on this, my skills on this stuff is so and so.

Edited by Guest