Questions about Ultimaker 3

ClausJ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Questions about Ultimaker 3

Cura currently does not allow you to use the full printing volume of the UM3 for single extrusion prints. This is a bug/missing feature. The print volume is slightly smaller due to the print head being bigger and the machine being the same exterior size.

The camera allows for snapshots and steams. I didn't mention these in the "Inside the Ultimaker 3" series yet, because the API to access it isn't finalized yet.

(Until we have the proper API, you can access the feed with http://[ip]:8080/?action=stream and a single snapshot with http://[ip]:8080/?action=snapshot however, zero guarantee that this will keep working in the future)

Currently there is no functionality for timelaps captures yet.

Camera is a simple 800x600 camera, nothing fancy here.

The printer ships with 2 350g spools, but it is designed to be used with the normal 750g spools. As I understood, the main reason for the smaller spools is to keep the shipping packaging of the printer under a certain size. (But I could be wrong here)

I'm not 100% sure if the 2.3kg rolls that you can buy at certain locations fit for a 100%. But the people that want to use those rolls will manage.

The UM3 is not a hotspot. While this feature is implemented at a lower level, you cannot access it trough any interface right now. Only way to make it a hotspot is to enter the WiFi setup.

Problem here is for a hotspot, setting up your hotspot name and password.

For low level details on the API look at my "inside the Ultimaker 3" series. Day 2 and 3 go into the details. There is no "dashboard" on the printer yet. We did not want to delay the launch of this machine to make this. Maybe we could develop a dashboard community based? I'm pretty sure we have some web developers around here.

Printer runs on a newer version of the UM2 board, (still with the stupid Atmel) and a slightly modified Olimex A20 LIME2 board running our own custom image (thanks to Olimex for their support)

(And, I'm no longer working on Cura, I 100% concern myself with the Ultimaker 3 firmware)

• Like 2

Oh dear, UM3 looks awesome, but why such a really low res camera?

I mean there are so many possibilities for the camera once there are software hacks and custom firmware's or just features added officially over the coming year/s.

But with a low res camera like that it really is only ever going to be useful for basic monitoring.

Sorry, I'm a camera guy so seeing a 800x600 sensor on a very expensive device in 2016 is quite shocking.

Still, the rest of the printer looks pretty great.

The printer ships with 2 350g spools, but it is designed to be used with the normal 750g spools. As I understood, the main reason for the smaller spools is to keep the shipping packaging of the printer under a certain size. (But I could be wrong here)

I'm not 100% sure if the 2.3kg rolls that you can buy at certain locations fit for a 100%. But the people that want to use those rolls will manage.

little clarification, the 2200/2300 gram spools that you can buy don't fit. the spoolholder is moved down just a few CM as compared to the UM2(+) and the spoolholder hits the ground. the rest seemed to fit so I support a few 1 or 2 CM high supports would fix this issue..

Cost and size vs feature. We wanted to fit the camera in a small corner, this removes quite some options. Producing a custom camera board for our volumes isn't possible (we're not Samsung or Apple) so we had to lift with what is out there.

The main feature is monitoring your print, and 800x600 is quite good for that. It also needed a wide-angle lens, which limited the options even more.

Quality of the image is quite good:

CameraPhoto.thumb.jpg.dfa3cd93cf0ab830a8b2604b126c6aef.jpg

Here is my first attempt to record the camera stream. The content is boring - it's just to prove the possibilities.

IMHO the resolution is totally sufficient for monitoring. You will not make a cine film with your printer's camera, right?

Cost and size vs feature. We wanted to fit the camera in a small corner, this removes quite some options. Producing a custom camera board for our volumes isn't possible (we're not Samsung or Apple) so we had to lift with what is out there.

The main feature is monitoring your print, and 800x600 is quite good for that. It also needed a wide-angle lens, which limited the options even more.

Quality of the image is quite good:

CameraPhoto.thumb.jpg.dfa3cd93cf0ab830a8b2604b126c6aef.jpg

I get what you're saying. But i think you could have found at least a 720p or 1080p sensor in the roughly same price and size range. I'm not expecting a 4k sensor in there :)

Purely from a selling point, all the specs look very good to the average person, with the exception of the camera resolution(best to leave that off the specs sheets and advertisements).

Anyway, I just think its a lost opportunity to have something for those of use who like to do time-lapses and will have to continue using external camera or phones to do it.

I don't think 720/1080 would help that. The 4:3 ratio allows to see better even the bed, 1024 could be better ofc.

Here is my first attempt to record the camera stream.

What software did you use to capture the stream ?

What software did you use to capture the stream ?

VLC media player

- "Media" -> "Open Network Stream..."

- activate "View" -> "Advanced Controls"

- hit the record button

This saves the stream data "as is", but VLC can open the file later and encode it to mp4 (e.g.)

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Questions about Ultimaker 3

I don't think 720/1080 would help that. The 4:3 ratio allows to see better even the bed, 1024 could be better ofc.

1600 x 1200px with better color rendition and better optics, or the sensor from the smartphone in my pocket, 4:3 with 4032 x 3024px resolution would be nice (the last one would probably increase the price quite a bit tough...) ;)

Something like this would be nice:

fw5otmS.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Well, higher resolution would have been nice.  

But for simply monitoring a print job, that will suffice.  

Besides, those of us wanting to do 1080p or 4K timelapses would probably use a GoPro in different locations.

• Like 1

We could have added a different camera, but it would have increased the price even more. Besides that, we use a pretty standard camera port, so upgrading it shouldn't be that big of an issue right ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Questions about Ultimaker 3

It's not the end of the world, just an odd choice for a high end machine in my mind. Anyway, many options available for time-lapse footage with spare iPhone's and GoPro and whatnot :)

For just checking in on prints whats there is perfectly serviceable.

I do have another question. If I'm printing away using 2 different colours(so not using PVA supports), can I change the filament in on one extruder while the other is still printing?

So it might be printing away, i swap out one of the spools and as its feeding in the new material it moves across to allow a bit of plastic out and wipes it and then continues printing away.

I know it sounds messy but would be a nice option to get a lot of different colours going in one print without having to do an outright "Pause". In the past the Pause and continue can lead to issues for some people.

Edited by Guest

So, what kind of camera port is used @nallath? :-)

We could have added a different camera, but it would have increased the price even more. Besides that, we use a pretty standard camera port, so upgrading it shouldn't be that big of an issue right ;)

Point taken but a decent small camera of that size costs around 25 euros, that won't change much to the 4500 euros for the extended imo.

• Like 1

A simple 4K camera with tilt and pan, and 20X optical zoom (all remotely controllable).

That counts for 2 servos and some brackets. Adding an additional stepper the camera could go up and down using a dedicated rail.

Also, please add a second thermographic camera, because temperature does matter!.

:-D

• Like 2

Some kind of serial connector, but there are USB ports left (and those are easily extended), so adding a USB camera should work.

Some kind of serial connector, but there are USB ports left (and those are easily extended), so adding a USB camera should work.

The camera is connected trough USB, however the connectors are different for size reasons.

In the other news, I checked with the specs, and the camera supports up to 1600x1200. However then jpg encoding on the camera no longer works, and the FPS drops to 4 frames per second. And the system load on linux increases a lot.

One small addition:

VLC media player can display (and record) the camera stream as well.

How does this work? VLC can open a network stream, but opening one of the following doesn't work:

• {ip}:8080

• {ip}:8080?action=stream

How does this work? VLC can open a network stream, but opening one of the following doesn't work:

• {ip}:8080

• {ip}:8080?action=stream

That's odd. I've just tried it with my machine (which has the IP 10.180.0.134) by opening http://10.180.0.134:8080/?action=stream in my browser or by opening it in VLC by using "open network stream".

Maybe he didn't do the slash: 8080 *slash* ?action=stream

That's odd. I've just tried it with my machine (which has the IP 10.180.0.134) by opening http://10.180.0.134:8080/?action=stream in my browser or by opening it in VLC by using "open network stream".

@peteruithoven

I assume that it is necessary to specify the protocol for VLC. Can you try it again with the 'http://' - prefix?