Ultimaker 3 print quality

xeno

Posted · Ultimaker 3 print quality

I am really curios about close-ups of the UM3 print quality,

especially if there has been improvements getting rid of ringing, without have to constantly having to adjust settings.

can anybody with an UM3 show me some highest res prints they did.

Absolutely true. The print quality of the UM3 is slightly better than that of an UM2+. Overhang quality has improved due to the new fan situation.

But the reason for the only small improvement is simple: the UM2+ is already a very good machine...

• Like 1

I only printed one single nozzle print so far and it looks quite good but it's a mechanical part that doesn't need to look good. I haven't tried to print something extra fine quality yet. The overhang ability is similar to um2 and the quality appears similar to um2 to my eyes. But I haven't tried any fair comparisons yet (e.g. at least print the same part with same filament).

These really not fair comparisons because they aren't PLA. But here are some prints showing overhang is at least reasonable without doing anything special (didn't tweak fans or temperature or print speed):

In the first white/green print it is made from ABS. The red arrow shows good overhang. The black arrow shows that the green color dripped a bit at the tip of south america.

a.png.d95d57ffa8352a55aa60481c26d30bdc.png

In this second print which is upside down here it was made from Ultimaker CPE (aka UPET). The black arrow is showing extreme overhang angle - probably 70 degrees from vertical and it printed fine. This is the underside of the print where I didn't care about quality.

b.thumb.png.45227abc37ea20cc010aef48cc31a36b.png

a.png.d95d57ffa8352a55aa60481c26d30bdc.png

b.thumb.png.45227abc37ea20cc010aef48cc31a36b.png

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 print quality

But this is my favorite print on the UM3.  PLA with dissolvable support.  The blades are paper thin - very delicate.  I tried to make this with PLA support years ago.  My daughter spent an hour with a dremmel carefully removing the support under the tips of the blades at the outer edges.  it came out pretty good but this print with the UM3 was much less labor!  Just dropped it in a bucket of water over night.

The blades look equally good from both sides.  I can't tell which is which by looking at the blades only.  I have to find the surface that touched glass to know which way it was printed.

It's so delicate I have already chipped it a few times - when you blow down on it from above it spins and then "hovers" and moves quickly sideways and hits something every time.  sometimes the blade gets a chip taken out.

fan1.thumb.jpg.b738791a7b37ebd1027fac46766cd440.jpg

My current plan is to use my UM2 for 80% of prints but we'll see. Time will tell.

fan1.thumb.jpg.b738791a7b37ebd1027fac46766cd440.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 print quality

@foehnsturm - that's beautiful but it looks so "milling machine" constrained!  Now you have a 3d printer and can make those fins be non-flat!

Edited by Guest