Inside the Ultimaker 3 - Day 4 - Electronics

Daid

Posted · Inside the Ultimaker 3 - Day 4 - Electronics

Is it possible to release the work that was done so that the community may pick it up?

The core problem was mechanical. And there was no easy fix we concluded after a lot of research. So releasing that has no real use other then wasting time. Electrically it was based on the AS5048B chip. So if you get out your soldering iron, you could still build this. Cables are still in place.

I did some testing today and found that grounding ROSC actually made things a bit worse.  Possibly the back EMF is too strong in this mode, causing other issues...

You were testing with UM2? What does worse mean, what happened?

I tested on my UM3.  Grounding all the ROSC pins made some wavy lines appear when printing a circular ring.  On the other hand, when I did this hack on my UM2 last year, it really improved Z-banding.

That's helpful, thanks. Will try this hack/fix! :-)

Implemented the hack this weekend. So far no negative impact in 3D printing. Did not compare systematically if prints are better, so not sure. But my focus there is on the laser exposure, to be tested soon. Definitely the motor sounds are more smooth than before.

Is it possible to release the work that was done so that the community may pick it up?

The core problem was mechanical. And there was no easy fix we concluded after a lot of research. So releasing that has no real use other then wasting time. Electrically it was based on the AS5048B chip. So if you get out your soldering iron, you could still build this. Cables are still in place.

Was the design integrated in anything or was it intended to be be a standalone component in the system?