Support Material Leaves a texture

thevictor11

Posted · Support Material Leaves a texture

Is there a way to prevent the surface that is supported to not have a melted look when the supports are broken off? I'm printing an object similar to the bottom of a boat and the smooth under body is just awful once I break the supports off. Took me almost an hour just to get it to a presentable stage.

Short answer, nope.

Longer answer. Since what you're trying to support needs to be in contact with the actual support it will leave marks no matter what you do. Experiment by rotating the object so that the side that needs to be pretty can be printed without support. Failing that it's time for sandpaper (the wet kind is best) and elbow grease.

Try kisslicer, set the support gap to 0.6mm, and normally they will just break off in one lump or certainly large chunks using your thumbnail. It is also better with ABS I find than PLA.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 16 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies