Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Install two versions of cura in linux?

Posted · Install two versions of cura in linux?

I have been using 15.04.6 for some time and now I'd like to try 2.3.0. I need to keep running the old version for production and it will take me a little while to learn 2.3.0, especially the XY offset. Is there any way for me to run both versions in Ubuntu trusty?

I second this!

Could it be possible to provide Cura as tar.gz archive, instead of debian package? As there are a lot of things to tune (Python3.4, libstdc++, startup script...) on debian, this could be easier.

More, I can't start Cura-2.3.0 on my debian: it segfaults. So I have to keep Cura-2.1.3 until I can fix this.

For now, I just made a copy of /opt/cura, then remove the debian package. I still have to adapt the startup script, so it makes a symbolic link to switch to teh correct ~/.config/cura dir (here too, it would be nice to duplicate the previous config file, then create a new one, with the version num in the file name).

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I managed to get 2 versions working on my Ubuntu (15.10?) setup, but it was not straightforward. (Have not gone 16 LTS yet.)

I upgraded my main install to (2.1.x at the time, now) 2.3.x. But I installed a 15.x in a chrooted environment (using schroot and generic instructions for app isolation).

Now to run 2.x, I just click the icon. To run the 15.x, I open a shell, schroot into the jailed environment, export DISPLAY so cura can find Xorg and then run cura. (This could be further automated, but it's good enough for me.)

Also, my chrooted environment does not have access to my SD card reader, so I have to save to disk, then manually copy to SD card. This is probably fixable though.

Like I said not straightforward, but it *does* work. Though, I cannot remember exactly how I did it (this was a while ago). But I don't recall it being terribly hard to set up, just not straightforward.

Anyway, I hope this helps point you in a useful direction. Try Googling for how to isolate an app, or install multiple versions of an app (Not Cura specifically), using schroot. Then see if you can apply that to Cura. :)

Good luck!