Using the Ultimaker3 CORE on an Ultimaker2

Posted (edited) · Using the Ultimaker3 CORE on an Ultimaker2

Didn't try the 3D hubs .

But you say, 50 for the plate thrue Ultimaker?

Got a number of that?

Many thanks,

Rudy

Edited by RudydG

I can do better :)   here's all the UM3 parts....

http://www.mindkits.co.nz/bottom-plate.aspx

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8M9SXv5Qgy3VTBoMjNYZklqa28/view

Just order by sending a mail to your  BE/NL reseller with the part data, they use the same book ...

Edited by ultiarjan

Posted · Using the Ultimaker3 CORE on an Ultimaker2

Update:

Ordered the complete Duet set (wifi board + 5 expansion board + 7inch lcd + pt100 board + IR board)

?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys,

I have been wanting to put dual extrusion on my Ultimaker 2 for awhile now, and have always been curious about just putting an Ultimaker 3 print head on it.  I am still pretty new to the forum and want to learn more about these printers and coding behind them.  

Could you tell me how hard it was to put the Ultimaker 3 print head on the Ultimaker Go Clone?  

I am not very good at changing the Code for these machines, and I was wondering the modifications you made to the Tinker Software, if any.  

You said that the Ultimaker 3 print head has a smaller Y-Axis bearing where can I get the 3D cad files to make the modification if I desire to?  I know now that the Ultimaker 3 print head can just be purchased now, so I might just go down that path. 

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but thank you in advance for your reply. 

Thanks,

Andy 

I'm told that the plastic parts for the UM3 print head are quite cheap and available but the electronic parts are more expensive.  Besides they are designed to work with the UM3.  You need to just connect the outer 4 contacts on the core to the existing temp sensor and heater cables.

44 minutes ago, Ace1992 said:

Hey Guys,

I have been wanting to put dual extrusion on my Ultimaker 2 for awhile now, and have always been curious about just putting an Ultimaker 3 print head on it.  I am still pretty new to the forum and want to learn more about these printers and coding behind them.  

Could you tell me how hard it was to put the Ultimaker 3 print head on the Ultimaker Go Clone?  

I am not very good at changing the Code for these machines, and I was wondering the modifications you made to the Tinker Software, if any.  

You said that the Ultimaker 3 print head has a smaller Y-Axis bearing where can I get the 3D cad files to make the modification if I desire to?  I know now that the Ultimaker 3 print head can just be purchased now, so I might just go down that path. 

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but thank you in advance for your reply. 

Thanks,

Andy 

Hey Andy,

It is not easy, if you want to do it the ultimaker way (so no tinkering with code), you probably have to buy the UM3 electronics also, which will not be cost effective. (=expensive)

I went the duet way, and got everything working. But it was a lot of programming and in the end, it is no UM3....

Would i do it again? No. To much effort. Better sell the UM2, and buy a UM3 (maybe second hand)

Edited by RudydG

@RudydG - you should have read the start of this topic.  You don't need any UM3 electronics and you can use UM2 firmware as is.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input.  GR5 I know that you have messed with the Ultimaker 3's before.  I watched you video on taking the print cores apart. Do you know if the Ultimaker 3 print head have the same bearing spacing as the ultimaker 2, or would i have to design new sliding blocks? 

I also watched ultiarjan video on his ultimaker go clone with the ultimaker 3 print head.  It said that it just used the Mark 2 tinker software.  How do you program in it building the prime tower then? If I remember correctly the Mark 2 does not use a priming tower.  

Thanks,

Andy