Cura VS. Makerware

zhengfeiwin

Posted · Cura VS. Makerware

I doubt many Ultimaker users have much experience with Makerware. For giggles I tried installing it on a virtual machine. First of all, over 100megs!? Second, first install went fine, program hangs on startup. Uninstall, re-install, install didn't finish. Another uninstall and re-install, program hangs on startup... And it also adds some sort of service that runs in the background. Glad I tried on a virtual machine...

Yeah, there is something wrong with the connection between Makerware and Ultimaker printer, but I just think if Makerware is faster, can I use the G-code from Makerware for my Ultimaker printer?

If speed is your only parameter to improve, give netfabb, slic3r and kisslicer as try... they are all faster than cura (and probably maker ware). if you see some quality in geode/print generation that any of the other slicers don't have, it should be in theory possible to run the gcode on marlin... please share your how-to when you have figured it out.

Cura and Makerware, which is more efficient? I heard Makerware is faster 20 times than other slicers, is that true?

Lies.

The low/med quality profile uses "MiricleGrue" no idea how fast it is. But no way it can be 20x faster then KISSlicer. But most likely this is a bit faster then Cura.

Their high quality profile however, uses Skeinforge, in it's original form. Which is dog slow, at least 4x slower then Cura, most likely even a bit more.

Well I got it. Cura maybe the best in controlling balance of speed and quality. And I will test them later.

Makerware is a clitchy piece of trash.

It made me download 150mb file and it clitches every second.

Entire application freezes for a sec and it continues to go on and on and on.

Nothing is OBVIOUS about makerware so f that.

Cura is far more advanced with its simplicity then makerware.

2 year old topic...

lol and still same problems?

Owner of 4 Makerbots (cupcake, Replicator 2, Replicator 2x) and 3 Ultimaker 2's

I think I must give the makerware software a fair chance at this battle. I honestly really like makerware because

1. The infill pattern are hexigons which because of the angle, helps to reduce the inertia. It is incredibly quick.

2. Usb printing is still an option if you choose.

3. Printing at 250mm/s is no problem

4. Background service allows the recording of prints to be easy

5. Log files for prints are produced with the time and material used. (found conveniently on the computers C drive)

Hate it because

1. Gcode only works on makerbot.

Hex infill is slower than straight lines. Hex infill is also a little stronger.

usb printing works on UM2 but it is not supported and not recommended. But it works fine if you have the right USB driver and cable (some computers work fine, some get lots of checksum errors).

UM2 can go up to 300mm/sec on a normal UMO or UM2. Not sure what this has to do with slicers. The makerbot machine is much slower not because of max speed, but because of jerk and acceleration which are set much higher on UM machines than on machines where the feeder sits on the print head.