Cura Bed Size and Improving the real 3D Print area

neotko

Posted · Cura Bed Size and Improving the real 3D Print area

Been thinking about all that posts about using the full print area.

And was wondering @nallath if Cura detects when the Z is fully usable. For example a part that is 4-5mm above the bed, shouldn't Cura detect (since is a 3d slicer) when that area is actually free to use? I suppose that for brim that not a problem right? If I print a smaller base on bottom but on the top reaches the full real print area, that should be possible right?

Ok did some basic tests and it doesn't detect when the Bed clips are actually available

5a33235d43267_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_05_07.thumb.png.aa9d00fc5dc21916e5799e97054ca3d7.png

This test uses no brim, but at certain Height it has boxes that don't touch the clips, but because the detection of bed use currently is 2D it fails to allow a print.

So, maybe it could be a good idea for the future to have a true Z bed detection to be able to use the full print area.

Also, Brim Area is accounted for the FULL Z, that can't be right. Once Brim is done any check of print area should check again. Without that isn't 5a33235dd68b0_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_11_55.thumb.png.1e949cb5db11a297cfdee872b7212fa7.png to make a Vase that goes up up up until it uses the full x/y

5a33235e2a5f1_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_11_55.thumb.png.0b9ee87896262a99184364ea6f035348.png

Another issue, is that Brim affects the biggest largest point, in the case the top, cutting down even more the print area, but this should be print-able 100%, because the brim will occur on the bottom where there's plenty of room

5a33235e4cdc5_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_12_48.thumb.png.16c9e605b66b8f1ae8a21c7a0b2353e6.png

5a33235d43267_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_05_07.thumb.png.aa9d00fc5dc21916e5799e97054ca3d7.png

5a33235dd68b0_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_11_55.thumb.png.1e949cb5db11a297cfdee872b7212fa7.png

5a33235e2a5f1_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_11_55.thumb.png.0b9ee87896262a99184364ea6f035348.png

5a33235e4cdc5_Capturadepantalla2016-11-04alas12_12_48.thumb.png.16c9e605b66b8f1ae8a21c7a0b2353e6.png

All of that is done because testing something in 2D is way more easy compared to doing it in 3D. It's a whole order of magnitude that you have to add.

It might be possible to add such a thing in the future, but don't expect it soon.

Even if we were to implement it, it would cause other issues besides the whole 3D being hard thing. Your first image for instance will cause issues if you suddenly enable support.

Maybe, and please don't get this wrong. Without autoslice or with it... umm for example disabling the block on the autoslice for this situations, and enabling a per layer height z area check for the first 4mm might solve some issues.

Also maybe a visual inspection of the resulting gcode lines could show RED areas or some warning and it could block the gcode save/print.

So umm. A basic idea. Force autoslice for the first 4mm and do checks on that info, if that gets an ok the program can continue slicing normally. If that fails the User can see what parts of his gcode are hitting or beyond print area.

Ofc not ideal. But a full gcode check per Z to check if the gcode generated could hit anything should work. This way, a slow way yea, it could be possible to even check if the supports are being printed on forbidden areas.

Ofc not ideal. But a full gcode check per Z to check if the gcode generated could hit anything should work. This way, a slow way yea, it could be possible to even check if the supports are being printed on forbidden areas.

Yes, but you would only know after the fact that it wasn't possible. That is far from an ideal work flow.

I've run into this issue a few times now with some large models, where their overhangs lean over one of the bed clips a few millimeters. Occasionally I run into a model that needs to have one bed clip pulled out to successfully print.

I'm looking for a workaround, is there a way to just disable the bed clips in Cura?

In the meantime, I've been using S3D, but really wanted to give the cubic subdivision infill a go with a larger part.

Use a Dremel and cut off the part of the stupid clips that overhangs the glass.

Honestly, the clips are far and away the worst-designed feature of the Ultimaker printers. Since you have gravity to hold the plate down, there is no reason at all to have to the clips pressing down, and no other 3D printer that I am aware of wastes build-space to save a few pennies on bed-holding hardware.

@eldrick, I went back and reread what I wrote. Sorry, it was a bit misleading. Fixing the hardware as you pointed out is easy, but even if I remove the clips Cura won't print anything above them at any Z height. I was hoping someone knew how to just remove the bed clips from Cura.

@eldrick, I went back and reread what I wrote.  Sorry, it was a bit misleading. Fixing the hardware as you pointed out is easy, but even if I remove the clips Cura won't print anything above them at any Z height.  I was hoping someone knew how to just remove the bed clips from Cura.

I hate the bed clips with a passion. I cut my fingers on them a few times and they have caused my quite some grief regarding the disallowed areas (the amount of issues we had on this on the software side is staggering!).

The only way to remove the disalowed areas is to change the .def.json file.

• Like 1

The only way to remove the disalowed areas is to change the .def.json file.

Too easy! The clips are still rendered on the screen, but don't get in the way of slicing anymore. Love it!