Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
superslimeboy

Ultimaker 3 Won't Boot

Yesterday, I got my UM3, and after I set the machine up I saw that there was a firmware update that the machine could install by itself. The UI was rather sluggish, so I decided to let it update to see if it helped. I came back later to see that the screen had gone black, and the print cores were glowing as if they were in a cooling cycle. After an hour, I realized that waiting wouldn't do any good, so I rebooted the machine, and everything was fine - It installed a motion control package and then went back to normal. Satisfied, I turned off the machine and went to bed. I turned the power switch on this morning, and after hearing a fan turn on and quickly back off, the machine did nothing. I've tried everything I can think of, (including unplugging everything and plugging the UM3 in again), but nothing has worked. The fans still turn on for a second when I turn on the power switch, but that's the end of it. What should I do?

Thanks for reading.

Update:

This problem was solved by removing the wifi board (under the cover for the Olimex boards). I still don't know why, but that's fixed everything.

Edited by Guest

Go in the Ultimaker menu and there should be a restore to factory settings option.

Then connect your Ultimaker to the WIFI using the standard procedure. Then using Cura 2.3 you can update it/etc.

I think mine simply updated by itself once it was connected to our Wifi.

Go in the Ultimaker menu and there should be a restore to factory settings option ...

I don't think I fully clarified this, but the machine doesn't turn on at all. There isn't a menu to restore from.

Any other ideas? I'm still stuck, and I don't think support will get back to me until Monday (which feels so far away). Thanks for sticking with me on this!

Edited by Guest

Did you leave the machine switched on for one or two minutes? That starting of the fan followed by seemingly doing nothing is normal. But after a minute or so display should come up and finally also the LEDs.

Yeah, I've left it on for an hour waiting for something to happen. It's just the fan noise and then nothing.

Did you leave the machine switched on for one or two minutes? That starting of the fan followed by seemingly doing nothing is normal. But after a minute or so display should come up and finally also the LEDs.

Yeah, I've left it on for an hour waiting for something to happen. It's just the fan noise and then nothing.

Then you should contact your reseller tomorrow.

Mine did that this morning.

I had to turn it on, take the USB out, put it back in, turn it off, turn it on, wait.

Are you saying you can boot from the USB port on the front? Where did you download the firmware file from?

I don't know if can boot the firmware. But the firmware download files are here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23129-updating-firmware

I had to turn it on, take the USB out, put it back in, turn it off, turn it on, wait.

Are you saying you can boot from the USB port on the front? Where did you download the firmware file from?

I am saying that taking the USB key out of the front and then putting it back in, then restarting the printer made it work for me.

No idea why/how, it just worked after having the same symptoms you described. 2 of our 4 UM3's did that. 1 caused a failed print, the other it happened on start up.

Seems Ultimaker has more debugging to do.

I am saying that taking the USB key out of the front and then putting it back in, then restarting the printer made it work for me.

No idea why/how, it just worked after having the same symptoms you described. 2 of our 4 UM3's did that. 1 caused a failed print, the other it happened on start up.

Huh. I start my um3 with the USB key in it all the time without any issues. The way you describe it it almost sounds as if it's using the USB key to boot from.

Huh. I start my um3 with the USB key in it all the time without any issues. The way you describe it it almost sounds as if it's using the USB key to boot from.

Kinda what i thought too! I remember a old PC doing that years ago...

Haven't had an issue since, just completed a 12 hour job.