Ultimaker 3 Won't Boot

superslimeboy

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 Won't Boot

Yesterday, I got my UM3, and after I set the machine up I saw that there was a firmware update that the machine could install by itself. The UI was rather sluggish, so I decided to let it update to see if it helped. I came back later to see that the screen had gone black, and the print cores were glowing as if they were in a cooling cycle. After an hour, I realized that waiting wouldn't do any good, so I rebooted the machine, and everything was fine - It installed a motion control package and then went back to normal. Satisfied, I turned off the machine and went to bed. I turned the power switch on this morning, and after hearing a fan turn on and quickly back off, the machine did nothing. I've tried everything I can think of, (including unplugging everything and plugging the UM3 in again), but nothing has worked. The fans still turn on for a second when I turn on the power switch, but that's the end of it. What should I do?

Thanks for reading.

Update:

This problem was solved by removing the wifi board (under the cover for the Olimex boards). I still don't know why, but that's fixed everything.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Won't Boot

Reinstall firmware after doing a restore to factory on the printer?

That was one of my first thoughts, but the UM3 doesn't have a USB B port. How would I even flash the firmware? I think I also read you can't use the thumb drive to flash firmware.

Go in the Ultimaker menu and there should be a restore to factory settings option.

Then connect your Ultimaker to the WIFI using the standard procedure. Then using Cura 2.3 you can update it/etc.

I think mine simply updated by itself once it was connected to our Wifi.

Go in the Ultimaker menu and there should be a restore to factory settings option ...

I don't think I fully clarified this, but the machine doesn't turn on at all. There isn't a menu to restore from.

Any other ideas? I'm still stuck, and I don't think support will get back to me until Monday (which feels so far away). Thanks for sticking with me on this!

Edited by Guest

Did you leave the machine switched on for one or two minutes? That starting of the fan followed by seemingly doing nothing is normal. But after a minute or so display should come up and finally also the LEDs.

Did you leave the machine switched on for one or two minutes? That starting of the fan followed by seemingly doing nothing is normal. But after a minute or so display should come up and finally also the LEDs.

Yeah, I've left it on for an hour waiting for something to happen. It's just the fan noise and then nothing.

Yeah, I've left it on for an hour waiting for something to happen. It's just the fan noise and then nothing.

Then you should contact your reseller tomorrow.

I've sent an email to UM support, I'll send an email to shop3d too.

Did you buy this in Canada? @valcrow - Did you contact this customer yet? @telkinvaga

Mine did that this morning.

I had to turn it on, take the USB out, put it back in, turn it off, turn it on, wait.

And it loaded fine.

Gave me a scare, 2 of them did that.

Did you buy this in Canada?  @valcrow - Did you contact this customer yet?  @telkinvaga

It's getting worked out, I'm in an email thread with Valcrow at the moment.

I had to turn it on, take the USB out, put it back in, turn it off, turn it on, wait.

Are you saying you can boot from the USB port on the front? Where did you download the firmware file from?

Edited by Guest

Are you saying you can boot from the USB port on the front? Where did you download the firmware file from?

I don't know if can boot the firmware. But the firmware download files are here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23129-updating-firmware

I am saying that taking the USB key out of the front and then putting it back in, then restarting the printer made it work for me.

No idea why/how, it just worked after having the same symptoms you described. 2 of our 4 UM3's did that. 1 caused a failed print, the other it happened on start up.

Seems Ultimaker has more debugging to do.

I am saying that taking the USB key out of the front and then putting it back in, then restarting the printer made it work for me.

No idea why/how, it just worked after having the same symptoms you described. 2 of our 4 UM3's did that. 1 caused a failed print, the other it happened on start up.

Huh. I start my um3 with the USB key in it all the time without any issues. The way you describe it it almost sounds as if it's using the USB key to boot from.

Huh. I start my um3 with the USB key in it all the time without any issues. The way you describe it it almost sounds as if it's using the USB key to boot from.

Kinda what i thought too! I remember a old PC doing that years ago...

Haven't had an issue since, just completed a 12 hour job.

For those of you who didn't have the removal of the USB stick solve your problems...what else did you do?

Sounds like if I remove the WiFi board, then that *might* resolve things?  Did that WiFi board get put back later and then the system worked?  

Most of the time my Ultimakers are reliable...so this is my first--seemingly major--issue with the UM3Ext.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Chris

If removing the wifi board solves the boot issue, then you'll need a new wifi board if you want wifi back, but in the meantime everything but wifi would work.

Hi Erin,

Unfortunately, just removing the WiFi board didn't resolve my issue.  Machine still won't turn on.  Quick blip of some fan and then dead.

Does anyone know why this happens?  The machine isn't old nor have much printing time on it...Has Ultimaker commented on this issue?  Sounds like I need to replace all the boards just to be sure?  

Thanks for all your help!

~CDM

If it were me I would get the olimex cable (I sell one in my store at thegr5store.com for usa only) and see if the olimex board is at least booting.  But I'm cheap.  And I'm comfortable with linux.

If this machine is less than a year old then you are probably still be under warrantly and should contact your reseller.

The solution might be to reinstall the firmware.  Or it might be a hardware issue.  The firmware installation procedure is explained here:

My S3 is three weeks old and died a week ago. When I turn it on or off I can hear a faint click and that's all. I ran through the firmware procedure, installing it on a micro SD and inserting it into the motherboard slot as my Ultimaker contact suggested and... nothing. 

Ultimaker has been responsive so far and am hoping to hear from them tomorrow. -Charlie

Recently had a similar issue. The printer had been turned off over the weekend, and come Monday morning it wouldn't boot up fully. The logo would flash a few times, then the display went black and wouldn't respond. Tried cycling power a few times, then went to the forums. I was getting ready to try and do a firmware update from a micro SD as suggested in another forum post, but because the micro SD - USB adapter we have was busted I had to figure something else out. Since the wifi connection was down I figured I might be able to find it on the network if I hard wired it. About 30 seconds after connecting the ethernet cable it booted up normally. Hope this helps someone else!

On 7/2/2020 at 2:02 AM, SamMcBride said:

My S3 is three weeks old and died a week ago. When I turn it on or off I can hear a faint click and that's all. I ran through the firmware procedure, installing it on a micro SD and inserting it into the motherboard slot as my Ultimaker contact suggested and... nothing. 

Ultimaker has been responsive so far and am hoping to hear from them tomorrow. -Charlie

Any news ?