Custom material profiles for Ultimaker 2/2+ problems

LePaul

Posted · Custom material profiles for Ultimaker 2/2+ problems

Ultimaker should really ditch that material system and use the same um3 system that relies on Cura info for each material. Specially when is proven that the retraction system on um2 doesn't help to move forward on the quality because ultiGcode (or wherever the name is) doesn't allow the user to use retraction while moving since the retraction is done by an specific gcode. That also forces stationary retraction that can increase the blobs.

Ultimaker should really ditch that material system and use the same um3 system that relies on Cura info for each material. Specially when is proven that the retraction system on um2 doesn't help to move forward on the quality because ultiGcode (or wherever the name is) doesn't allow the user to use retraction while moving since the retraction is done by an specific gcode. That also forces stationary retraction that can increase the blobs.

I'd settle for the UMO method, let Cura handle it :)

I'd settle for the UMO method, let Cura handle it :)

You actually can do that. There are profiles (somewhere I don't remember now) to use um2 as reprap (so, like umo) and that gices you full control of everything.

You actually can do that. There are profiles (somewhere I don't remember now) to use um2 as reprap (so, like umo) and that gices you full control of everything.

Is the gCode type swap implemented for the UM2+ yet? Last I looked Cura had no such option.

Is the gCode type swap implemented for the UM2+ yet? Last I looked Cura had no such option.

No but some guy involved on cura dev pointed out a json profile for um2+ that uses reprap. Google something like cura octoprint reprap ultimaker 2. I will try to find the post.

Oi! Just remembering that I upgraded Cura to 2.4 last night, I checked again. The option to use RepRap gCode is now available under machine settings.

• Like 1

Oi! Just remembering that I upgraded Cura to 2.4 last night, I checked again. The option to use RepRap gCode is now available under machine settings.

Fantastic!

Cura doesn't know about the values in the materials.txt file. Cura has no way of being synced with it either. The UM2(+) decides on it's own what those values are, based on the used material.

Isn't is very confusing for inexperienced users that Cura allows Material selection when using UltiGcode? (Since it ignores the selection.) I see that the Nozzle size menu is turned on and off depending on machine profile so I assume it can be hidden.

Selecting a material for the UM2+ does set a lot of settings to more appropriate values for that material. It's just the temperature and retraction settings that can't be adjusted.

Any updates on how to make materials.txt survive power off and on?

@sandervg

Hey random idea... Doesn't the UM2 marlin has the Auto0.g stuff ?

SD card folders:

If you place a file auto[0-9].g into the root of the sd card, it will be automatically executed if you boot the printer. The same file will be executed by selecting "Autostart" from the menu. First *0 will be performed, than *1 and so on. That way, you can heat up or even print automatically without user interaction.

Is there anyway to force the materials load on the um2+ firmware by gcode? That could fix the issue quite fast by making a small auto0.g file with the instructions to load the materials.txt to the printer.

Or the material load only can be done using the menus?

UM2 definitely has auto0.g. I used it recently on a um2go, um2ext and um2 (plain) last weekend. I don't think there is a gcode to load materials.txt though. But who knows.