Ultimaker 3 Network Connection

JohnK

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 Network Connection

I have a bit of a weird problem with my UM3 connection.

For starters, the printer is connected to my wifi network without any problem there, any time I check on the printer, it has an IP address.

I setup a dynamic DNS and port forwarding on my router so that I can access my printer's video stream remotely using "myddnsaddress:8080/?action=stream" , that works fine, all the time without issues.

However..

My connection in Cura to the printer on my wifi network keeps dropping out randomly, printer becomes unavailable and then available again (in cura), when it drops out, I can't access the printer using it's IP address at "xxx.xxx.x.x:8080/?action=stream" on my local network, BUT I can still access it through my ddns without an issue.

Can anyone help ? my knowledge of networking is very limited.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Network Connection

I'm having a similar issue when I use the LAN port of the printer instead of WiFi -- I haven't been able to fully narrow it down (I need to inspect my packets) but the closest I can relate this to is the stream itself and the devices on the network.

When you have no access to your printer, can other devices in your network still access video streams (I think Netflix traffic should fall under this)?

Note that my statement above is just observations -- in my situation, it could simply be an issue with Cura already being authorized on WiFi but not on LAN but the printer could still recognize it as the same client.

I haven't tried accessing other video streams, I might have to do that and see what happens. I have noticed some issues with some security cameras I have lately, doing something similar, not being accessible from my local network at times, while still being accessible remotely. I'll have to see if the problems occur at the same time.

Without looking at my guides (and with my memory being as bad as it is now), this reminds me of a multicast issue (since you mentioned your security cameras doing the same) -- I know I've had to enable multicasting on my network on prior devices -- will need to configure a new router I have on my network and check if the issue persists.

Did anyone solve this issue? My Cura keeps losing connection with my printer as well.

Matt

when using networked equipment requiring stable activity it is always recommended to use a static IP and white list the device on your firewall.

If you wish to maintain DHCP then try white listing your printers mac address on your router. It will keep it in a "trusted" state and not attempt to change its connection configurations.

Did that solve it? Mine are dropping out after 48 hours

Did anyone solve this issue? My Cura keeps losing connection with my printer as well.

Matt

when using networked equipment requiring stable activity it is always recommended to use a static IP and white list the device on your firewall.

If you wish to maintain DHCP then try white listing your printers mac address on your router. It will keep it in a "trusted" state and not attempt to change its connection configurations.

I think this resolved it for me. At least it is working at the moment.

thanks!

Matt

I think this resolved it for me. At least it is working at the moment.

thanks!

False alarm, still having issues.

Hello.
    I also have the same problem.

The first few days we all had access to the UM3 in our office. Now, without changing anything in the it-infrastruture, some computer have no connection to the UM3. Also a ping to the IP adress isn't possible. It seems like the UM blocks the connection. With another PC in the same IP-Range an the same firewall-options access is possible,

next day another PC could connect and an other not... very curious.

The firewall notes no blocked packages...

Could anybody help me?

20 minutes ago, Matthias Müller said:

Hello.
    I also have the same problem.

The first few days we all had access to the UM3 in our office. Now, without changing anything in the it-infrastruture, some computer have no connection to the UM3. Also a ping to the IP adress isn't possible. It seems like the UM blocks the connection. With another PC in the same IP-Range an the same firewall-options access is possible,

next day another PC could connect and an other not... very curious.

The firewall notes no blocked packages...

Could anybody help me?

The one thing I forgot to mention is that in a business network we assigned all 3D printers to a VLAN other than the normal user network.  If your business does not have a specific VLAN on WiFi other than the user network then one might need to be created. That is not a lot of work but usually declined unless it is business critical. We didn't d it until we had our 5th printer.

If you have NOT changed anything on the network and the configuration is for a business it is always a good idea to configure the printers with a static IP and white list the mac addresses. 

I was just wondering if anyone here has managed to fix this problem I seem to have a very similar problem as the one discussed in this topic.

Check the connection with System ->  Network -> Connection status.

This will provide the information to check whether or not the printer has gotten a valid IP address, how it's connected and it's associated MAC address.

2 hours ago, Marco_TvM said:

Check the connection with System ->  Network -> Connection status.

This will provide the information to check whether or not the printer has gotten a valid IP address, how it's connected and it's associated MAC address.

I have already been through most of the troubleshooting steps and I am in contact with my re-seller. Unfortunately it is looking like I will have to return my unit and get the electrics checked out.  I was just hoping there might be a simpler solution.

you realize anyone could be watching? those streams take bandwidth about 1-2 Mbit/s which is quite a bit, so if you have that stream open multiple times locally and add in some external viewers I can imagine some wifi problems just because of network load.

here's a random UM3

On 1/29/2018 at 10:33 PM, revolutton said:

I have already been through most of the troubleshooting steps and I am in contact with my re-seller. Unfortunately it is looking like I will have to return my unit and get the electrics checked out.  I was just hoping there might be a simpler solution.

yeah mate i have had the same problem with my UNIT getting sent back to they really are making this a hassle, mate i get it i think we need to have more companies pushing for 3 d printer products so we can all master the art :heart::deaf:

hello guys,

i am having a issue with ultimaker 3 extended.

whenever i give a print through network (lan) print always started but unable to see its printing through camera because it shows connection lost..!!

is there any1 who is facing the same issue.??

38 minutes ago, sunilbisht said:

hello guys,

i am having a issue with ultimaker 3 extended.

whenever i give a print through network (lan) print always started but unable to see its printing through camera because it shows connection lost..!!

is there any1 who is facing the same issue.??

The only way I was able to fix the connection problems with my um3 was to perform a factory reset.

thanks, i will try the factory reset.

sda.JPG

1 hour ago, sunilbisht said:

This almost sounds like you are using the mobile app?

Can you check if http://<your printer ip>:8080/?action=stream will show you the life feed?

Did anyone follow up and produced a recipe for others on how to proceed in the networking configuration and may be has a description available?

Browsing around I do see a lot of questions and only a few answers. I stumbled in the same problem and my camera is dropping out every other print. And yes: I can fix that, dig-up the new IP-address the printer has itself assigned to, put that in again. This set-up is apparantly a little crappy, best way to fix it is assigning a fixed address, also on WiFi.

Regards,

Wim (S5).

There is no way currently to set up a fixed IP address on the printer itself. A common way is to make a static DHCP IP address reservation on your router or DHCP server (depends on your infrastructure) So every time the printer asks for an IP address, he will get the same reserved IP. 

8 hours ago, 3dwim said:

Did anyone follow up and produced a recipe for others on how to proceed in the networking configuration and may be has a description available?

You have full control to the configuration, if you feel comfortable about developer mode, ssh and some simple Linux commands: