Tinker firmware - introduction

tinkergnome

• SandervG featured and unfeatured this topic
  • SandervG unpinned this topic
Posted · Tinker firmware - introduction

Hello

I have installed latest Tinker firmware for ultimaker 2 extended

My printer has Bondtech extruder, 50W heater and 3dsolex nozzle

The print temperature for PLA is set to 210°C on the printer, but during print, the temperature is 240°C

I'm using a 0.8mm nozzle, is there a temperature compensation for nozzle diameter somewhere ? I don't understand why temp isn't 210°C

Thanks

Tinker has settings for different nozzles and things that are automatically detected through info in the gcode file. Go into the materials settings and make sure the temp is set to 210 on the material+nozzle you are using. (If it's an old gcode file, the default nozzle is automatically set to 0.4 for heat purposes)

Posted (edited) · Tinker firmware - introduction

The temperature for PLA is set to 210°C but no reference to nozzle diameter on the printer's menu

(My nozzle is set to 0.8mm in cura, i can see it in the header of gcode)

Maybe because i flashed UM2 extended firmware, should i flash UM2 extended + firmware instead (i have an UM2 extended with Bondtech extruder, 50W heater and 3dsolex nozzles)

Thanks

Edited by kussf

@kussf 240°C is indeed the default temperature for PLA and 0.8mm nozzle (in case you are using Cura with the default GCode-Flavor UltiGCode).

You can change it on the printer here:  (Material) -> Settings -> Customize -> Temperature -> Temperature 0.80

Hola felicidades por su gran trabajo, ayuda mucho a los que estamos empezando, la agradecería muchísimo personalizara para ultimaker 2go . Muchísimas gracias. Y felicidades . Si pudiera ser con menú en español sería fantástico . 

@Raul torres English please in the English threads :) We aso have a Spanish section here.

Roughly (google) translated: 'Hello congratulations for your great work, it helps a lot to those of us who are just starting, I would greatly appreciate it for you to customize for 2go ultimaker. Many thanks. And congratulation's . If it could be with menu in Spanish it would be fantastic'

• Thanks 1

OK sorry'Hello congratulations for your great work, it helps a lot to those of us who are just starting, I would greatly appreciate it for you to customize for 2go ultimaker. Many thanks. And congratulation's . If it could be with menu in Spanish it would be fantastic'

• Like 1

No problem, thank you for understanding. Just helping if it wasn't clear yet and making sure things stay structured/organized here :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raul torres said:

I would greatly appreciate it for you to customize for 2go ultimaker.

Is there already, see here:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

5a7329ab61bbf_Ultimaker2Marlin2go.thumb.JPG.76656c783f3b35f11d706755f42bb9d2.JPG

• Thanks 1

It is my understanding that Ultimaker2Marlin is for the ultimaker 2 and UM2.1-Firmware is for the ultimaker 2+.  It doesn't appear at least by the dates on the tinkergnome github that the UM2.1-Firmware is up to date with V17.10.1.

I am interested in the source files for tinkergnome V17.10.1 for the ultimaker 2 plus extended as I want to compile it myself.  I need to compile myself as there are a couple of changes for the bondtech DDG extruder.  Where can I find that source?

Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, killerb77 said:

It is my understanding that Ultimaker2Marlin is for the ultimaker 2 and UM2.1-Firmware is for the ultimaker 2+.  It doesn't appear at least by the dates on the tinkergnome github that the UM2.1-Firmware is up to date with V17.10.1.

I am interested in the source files for tinkergnome V17.10.1 for the ultimaker 2 plus extended as I want to compile it myself.  I need to compile myself as there are a couple of changes for the bondtech DDG extruder.  Where can I find that source?

Thank you in advance.

You can use the source for the v17 and change the extruder rotation and steps.

5 hours ago, killerb77 said:

I am interested in the source files for tinkergnome V17.10.1 for the ultimaker 2 plus extended

Short answer: switch to branch geek_UM2extended and use the additional "DEFINES" from the build script.

This will result in the correct variant.

Or adjust the path to the Arduino compiler in the build script and use the script to build the *.hex file(s) - whichever is easier for you.

16 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

Short answer: switch to branch geek_UM2extended and use the additional "DEFINES" from the build script.

This will result in the correct variant.

Or adjust the path to the Arduino compiler in the build script and use the script to build the *.hex file(s) - whichever is easier for you.

Not sure how to do anything of that.  I am using Arduino IDE for windows.  You wouldn't happen to have instructions somewhere?  I have an linux virtual machine.

1 minute ago, killerb77 said:

Not sure how to do anything of that.  I am using Arduino IDE for windows.  You wouldn't happen to have instructions somewhere?  I have an linux virtual machine.

Source files are arduino files. Change the settings, save it and upload it to your board via arduino ide.

No need to build the .hex unless you wanna flash it via cura.

8 hours ago, killerb77 said:

Not sure how to do anything of that.

It's not that hard. @gr5 made a 'compiling cookbook' a while ago:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/16856-how-to-build-marlin-the-way-tinkerghome-and-ultimaker-do-it-if-you-have-windows/

I wouldn't use the Arduino IDE for this project, you have no control about the linker. You cannot decide which object files it includes and in which order.

Sure, it builds and uploads a *.hex file, but it's not reliable reproducible (IMHO).

On 2/5/2018 at 3:23 AM, killerb77 said:

I need to compile myself as there are a couple of changes for the bondtech DDG extruder.

What do you want to change? I thought @bondtech offers a ready to use firmware?

14 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

What do you want to change? I thought @bondtech offers a ready to use firmware?

Only two things changing are the e-steps to 311 and material load speed to 50 mm/s.  These are the settings required for the bondtech extruder.  Yes, bondtech does provide a firmware but it isn't tinkergnome.  A few people have recommended it, so I wanted to give it a try.

Posted (edited) · Tinker firmware - introduction
    2 hours ago, killerb77 said:

Only two things changing are the e-steps to 311 and material load speed to 50 mm/s.  These are the settings required for the bondtech extruder.  Yes, bondtech does provide a firmware but it isn't tinkergnome.  A few people have recommended it, so I wanted to give it a try.

I was going to compile it for you with the changes for the DDG but @tinkergnome has the material load speed in steps and not mm/s FILAMENT_FAST_STEPS not sure what 50mm/s is in steps

Also get an interesting error when trying to run the package.sh on Mac 

RM    _Ultimaker2extended/*
      RMDIR _Ultimaker2extended/
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extended/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extended/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extended/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory
      RM    _Ultimaker2extendedDual/*
      RMDIR _Ultimaker2extendedDual/
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extendedDual/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extendedDual/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extendedDual/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory
      RM    _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/*
      RMDIR _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extendedPlus/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory
      RM    _Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/*
      RMDIR _Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory

Edited by ChrisRiddell

7 minutes ago, ChrisRiddell said:

I was going to compile it for you with the changes for the DDG but @tinkergnome has the material load speed in steps and not mm/s FILAMENT_FAST_STEPS not sure what 50mm/s is in steps

I followed the instruction from @gr5 and it compiled and I got hex file.  Didn't make any changes yet for the bondtech extruder.  Just wanted to test it to see if would make the .hex file.

Is "which: no make in" anything to be concerned with?  Looks like just system info stuff.

And yes, I would like to know how to convert steps to 50mm/s

Here is the output I got:

$ ./package.sh
    which: no make in (/c/Users/bmw/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/bin:/c/Users/bmw/bin:/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath:/c/Program Files (x86)/Razer Chroma SDK/bin:/c/Program Files/Razer Chroma SDK/bin:/c/Program Files (x86)/Intel/iCLS Client:/c/Program Files/Intel/iCLS Client:/c/Windows/system32:/c/Windows:/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/c/Program Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine Components/DAL:/c/Program Files (x86)/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine Components/DAL:/c/Program Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine Components/IPT:/c/Program Files (x86)/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine Components/IPT:/c/Program Files (x86)/NVIDIA Corporation/PhysX/Common:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/c/WINDOWS/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/c/Program Files/Crucial/Crucial Storage Executive:/c/Users/bmw/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps:/c/Program Files (x86)/Skype/Phone:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/c/WINDOWS/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/cmd:/c/Users/bmw/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)

RM    _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/*
      CC    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/wiring.c
      CC    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/hooks.c
      CC    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/wiring_analog.c
      CC    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/wiring_digital.c
      CC    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/wiring_pulse.c
      CC    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/wiring_shift.c
      CC    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/WInterrupts.c
      CXX   UltiLCD2.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_gfx.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_hi_lib.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_low_lib.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_menu_first_run.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_menu_maintenance.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_menu_material.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp
      CXX   lifetime_stats.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_menu_main.cpp
      CXX   powerbudget.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_menu_utils.cpp
      CXX   UltiLCD2_menu_prefs.cpp
      CXX   tinkergnome.cpp
      CXX   machinesettings.cpp
      CXX   filament_sensor.cpp
      CXX   C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/new.cpp
      CXX   C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/WMath.cpp
      CXX   C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/WString.cpp
      CXX   C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/Print.cpp
      CXX   Marlin_main.cpp
      CXX   MarlinSerial.cpp
      CXX   Sd2Card.cpp
      CXX   SdBaseFile.cpp
      CXX   SdFile.cpp
      CXX   SdVolume.cpp
      CXX   motion_control.cpp
      CXX   planner.cpp
      CXX   stepper.cpp
      CXX   temperature.cpp
      CXX   cardreader.cpp
      CXX   ConfigurationStore.cpp
      CXX   watchdog.cpp
      CXX   electronics_test.cpp
      CXX   C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/main.cpp
      CXX   _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.elf
    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-objdump -h -S _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.elf > _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.lss
    C:/arduino-1.6.10/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-nm -n _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.elf > _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.sym
      COPY  _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.hex
    # Link: create ELF output file from library.

AVR Memory Usage
    ----------------
    Device: atmega2560

Program:  190046 bytes (72.5% Full)
    (.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:       5618 bytes (68.6% Full)
    (.data + .bss + .noinit)

text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
     189712     334    5284  195330   2fb02 _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.elf

6 hours ago, killerb77 said:

And yes, I would like to know how to convert steps to 50mm/s

It's just a simple factor, make the reverse of this calculation:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/blob/geek_mode/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_first_run.cpp#L453

6 hours ago, killerb77 said:

Is "which: no make in" anything to be concerned with?

it's the output of this test - nothing to worry about

@tinkergnome Would you have any idea's on whats happening here when trying to build on OSX I can't work it out I downloaded the Arduino.app version that is defined in the package.sh file made sure it was in the right location etc.

RM    _Ultimaker2extended/*
      RMDIR _Ultimaker2extended/
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extended/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extended/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extended/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory
      RM    _Ultimaker2extendedDual/*
      RMDIR _Ultimaker2extendedDual/
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extendedDual/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extendedDual/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extendedDual/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory
      RM    _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/*
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extendedPlus/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extendedPlus/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory
      RM    _Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/*
      RMDIR _Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/
    make: *** No rule to make target `_Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/wiring.o', needed by `_Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.
    cp: _Ultimaker2extendedPlusDual/Marlin.hex: No such file or directory

1 hour ago, ChrisRiddell said:

Would you have any idea's on whats happening here when trying to build on OSX

rough guess: check the path declarations in the Makefile. Some of the directories have changed - depending on the Arduino version (and perhaps also on the OS version?)

You can use the following commit as a starting point:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/commit/31b016ff886bb509cf5515042ca225ab08180903#diff-04c206a8bd7b5cedd4c30700d062b19a

On 2/7/2018 at 4:35 AM, tinkergnome said:

Sorry, I just don't understand this calculation.  Can you elaborate more, please?

If you want to convert a speed which is in mm/sec to steps/sec (I'm guessing this is what you want) then multiply by steps/mm.  So for example:

If steps/mm is 100 and speed is 50mm/sec then speed is also 5000 steps/sec.

I'm not sure where you need steps/sec though.  I'm not sure if that's what you need.