Tinker firmware - introduction

tinkergnome

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Tinker firmware - introduction

Hi,

we have a UM2 at our company and I am thinking about switching it to the Tinker firmware.

Just two quick questions:

Does the FW play more nicely with octoprint than the original firmware?

And does it print Ultimaker GCode files from SD card?

The original only interpreted the Ultimaker GCode prefix if it was started from the LCD print menu.

If the Tinker FW solved these two issues it would be the icing on the cake with all features it brings along anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi tinkergnome,

I've recently started printing with Octoprint. I'm directly using web interface without touchUI and additional screen. The firmware works really well with all the tuning options in LCD. The only main options missing are abort and pause. I'm trying to be able to abort print from the LCD menu. 

I did some searching and it seems impossible to communicate back to Octoprint for these commands. But could there be a work around such as telling the printer to disconnect from Octoprint/USB so the printer act like abort print?

Thanks a lot!

Ryan

8 hours ago, yyh1002 said:

I did some searching and it seems impossible to communicate back to Octoprint for these commands.

I guess the demand is not very high, 'cause using the web interface is easier and works with every printer.

But technically it should be possible with "Action Commands" nowadays.

http://docs.octoprint.org/en/master/features/action_commands.html

9 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

I guess the demand is not very high, 'cause using the web interface is easier and works with every printer.

But technically it should be possible with "Action Commands" nowadays.

http://docs.octoprint.org/en/master/features/action_commands.html

Thanks! This is exacty what I need. I’ll see if I could get it to work. Web interface is handy to send prints, but if I stand in front of a print and something goes wrong, it’s not as quick to cancel on LCD. 

Posted (edited) · Tinker firmware - introduction

Has anyone had this problem with ocotprint.

I was using it today.

And everytime i hit print  the printer locks up.

Now if i remove the sd card in the ultimaker it works 100% fine.

I dont know if its just me and some type of hiccup or what.

*edit

Fix the problem in ocotprint.

octoprint  > setting > features
    uncheck    enable sd support

Now it doesnt lock up when starting a start with sd in the printer.

Edited by xile6

I would like to thank for the wonderful work done on the firmware. Installed 18.11.1 on um2+ with bondtech and all works great.

• Thanks 1

hi  i have just download this tinke firmware and i use simpify 3d and when i put a print on 

it come up wit messages that says tried printing out of area. i have look on the forums i like the look of this 

and i would like to keep on using  it 

My first guess is:

Check the settings of  "Advanced -> Preferences -> Print area"

1 hour ago, tinkergnome said:

My first guess is:

Check the settings of  "Advanced -> Preferences -> Print area"

yep i have done that z is 305 and. it home and come up with tried printing out of area

don't no what to do next

10 hours ago, stephenbo said:

hi  i have just download this tinke firmware and i use simpify 3d and when i put a print on 

it come up wit messages that says tried printing out of area. i have look on the forums i like the look of this 

and i would like to keep on using  it 

I had this problem and it was Tinkergnome who fixed it for me 😁 

In the starting script, the nozzle wipe will be at Z0; tinkerware doesn't like that so set the wipe to Z0.1 and it should work ok. It's the Pull Away Filament line 👍

Here is the thread 👍

I would like to say thank you for your reply and helping me in my problem

• Like 1

I have a UM2+   currently with the magnetic docking dual print setup and this FW and that is neat and works good.

I just acquired a UM3 print head assembly.

can I use this firmware to control the UM3 print head assembly while mounted in my UM2+ ?    I'm a super DIY savvy type  😉     I'll swap out the control board only if I really need to  🙂

I loaded version 18.11.1 to my UM2 ext+ today and started a routine print. In the middle of the job, it stopped, feeder pulled the filament completely out (exactly like when you want to change material), then after a few seconds printer continued printing with no filament of course! I paused it and fed the material back in manually and continued.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?! It seems very strange.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:10 PM, superdave42 said:

can I use this firmware to control the UM3 print head assembly while mounted in my UM2+ ?    I'm a super DIY savvy type 

assuming that the head fits mechanically and both heaters and temperature sensors are connected the same way as before, i don't see why it should not work. (the levelling sensor would be non-functional though)

This mod would need custom tool change scripts, no problem for a DIY oriented tinkerer... 🙂

• Like 1

I've used the tinker firmware in the past and loved it. But after a few issues I stopped and stuck to the standard firmware for the last 9-12 months. I just updated to the latest firmware to test and it works great apart from one issue at the very end of some prints(not all prints for some reason).

What it does is at the very end of the print (once completed) it does a large retract. Its happend 3 or 4 times in the last day or two(since installing the firmware). The first retract was about 130-150mm, and the last one a few mins ago retracted all the way out of the bowden to the feeder. The head doesn't move away from the print while doing the retract and so far it hasnt actually had any impact on the printed objects.

I'm using the latest firmware (Tinker V19.03.1) on my Ultimaker 2+ Extended. Sliced in S3D and the gcode start and end scripts are below in case they help.

Start:

M201 X1200 Y1200

M205 X12

G28 ; home all axes

G1 X20 Y10 F3000 ; bring extruder to front

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length

G1 Z18 ; lower

G1 E19 F200 ; purge nozzle quickly

G1 E26 F60 ; purge nozzle slowly

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length again

G1 E-5.5 F400 ; retract

G1 X190 Z0 F9000 ; pull away filament

G1 X210 F9000 ; wipe

G1 Y20 F9000 ; wipe

G1 E0 ; feed filament back

End:

G28 X0 ; home the X-axis

M104 S0 ; turn off heaters

M140 S0 ; turn off bed

M84 ; disable motors

I did the factory reset once I'd installed the firmware and my retraction settings are the standard 4.5mm @ 25mm/s and 20mm as the end retract(all firmware defaults). Not that it matters, but this happens on PLA and PETG profiles in S3D.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what i might test to stop this?

Maybe @tinkergnome might have some guidance on this?

Many thanks

Edited by RetromanIE

Tried lots of things to try and sort this out. Adding some short retrations at the end of gcode to see if that would override the large retrations, no joy.

I'll stick the standard firmware back on this. Such a pity as apart from this issue the tinker firmware is so useful.

7 hours ago, RetromanIE said:

Tried lots of things to try and sort this out. Adding some short retrations at the end of gcode to see if that would override the large retrations, no joy.

I'll stick the standard firmware back on this. Such a pity as apart from this issue the tinker firmware is so useful.

Really strange,  I'm using Mark 2 firmware and do not have this issue.

On 4/8/2019 at 5:49 PM, RetromanIE said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what i might test to stop this?

@RetromanIE

can you show the S3D settings, especially from the gcode tab? Or a sample file which shows the problem?
    Perhaps there are unusual conditions that are not explored yet...?

Or does it happen more randomly...?

🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, tinkergnome said:

@RetromanIE

can you show the S3D settings, especially from the gcode tab? Or a sample file which shows the problem?
    Perhaps there are unusual conditions that are not explored yet...?

Or does it happen more randomly...?

🤷‍♂️

Hi, sure I can share what i have it'll help in any way.

S3D:

c7VnNyO.jpg

xIM45vm.jpg

I've also attached a zip file containing one gcode file that always has the issue (its an Ultimaker Robot @0.2mm layer height).

UltimakerRobot.zip

Edited by RetromanIE

I am also getting the strange retraction from time to time... using Cura 3.6 to slice

I do not have examples files at the moment but this got me to go back to normal firmware. 

I will try the factory reset and new latest tinker frimware and report back if the issue persist and this time will have some files. 

image.thumb.png.1a7519f42ab38ad909cbbf009fa713d7.pngHello I am using GO I don't quite understand what these four mean.?

First one, normal Um2Go

dual = dual extruder

HBK = Heated Bed

So if you have modified your printer then you have to choose the proper firmware.

• Thanks 1

@tinkergnome Has the bug where the endstop isn't triggered and the head crashes after filament load been fixed?  It's been quite awhile since I look at this firmware.  Still running stock.