Feeding motor is not feeding while printing

joe-hoffmann

Posted · Feeding motor is not feeding while printing

Hello everybody,

I have an ultimaker original and I have a problem with the filament motor. When the support structure is printed, the motor is feeding with filament but then when it comes to the actual part, it stops feeding. So it isn't a problem by the motor of itself. The clarify which part I mean, you can look at the photograph. IMG_9244.thumb.JPG.520b8f1394718527f2ccd61ca95bb76c.JPGI don't really know how to fix this problem and I hope that anyone can help me.

Thanks a lot!

Joe

IMG_9244.thumb.JPG.520b8f1394718527f2ccd61ca95bb76c.JPG

Do you mean this is all happening in the first layer?

Did you look at the layer view in Cura if everything is correct?

Can you make a picture of your print?

I don't know what you mean by in the first layer.

As you can see in the picture, there should be everything alright in Cura.5a3323d89a0fb_Screenshot(31).thumb.png.40a01d31751878fc854ce92fd515b489.png

To describe it more precisely, the motor behind which feeds the filament works, because it feeds while printing the first layer and the support structure. After the progress you can see on the picture, the filament feeding motor stops working. I really cannot tell what the problem is.

IMG_9249.thumb.JPG.80467894056bd5e3dcaa8ef8b37c6570.JPG

So you can see it prints the first layer perfecctly and afterwards there is simply no filament coming out.

5a3323d89a0fb_Screenshot(31).thumb.png.40a01d31751878fc854ce92fd515b489.png

IMG_9249.thumb.JPG.80467894056bd5e3dcaa8ef8b37c6570.JPG

The black lever should be all the way down, just an FYI

Have you cleaned the hobbed piece inside the feeder recently?

My thinking is the print starts ok, then the filament either slips or isn't getting the extra force from that black knob being all the way down (I know some even zip tie the lever tight)

What's the black tube laying across the print head and build plate?

Can you check if the little black circle wheel inside the feeder is turning smoothly?

I have seen a case where it didn't and it had similar symptoms.

And if you remove the filament does it show an irregularity in the filament where it holds (like this picture)

The black lever is all the way down. I know what you mean but this isn't the problem because the motor isn't running at all. So there is no slipping of the filament.

In my opinion it should be something wrong with the file but I can't explain what could be wrong.

It does function correctly and no there are no such irregularities because the motor isn't turning at all. Only for the first layer, afterwards it stops turning, so in my opinion it isn't a mechanical problem.

Hello, I made a video to show what's happening. I hope that you can see enough. It is actually clear to see that the feeding motor doesn't turn at all.

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcsml9umkt96smx/AACwC_Zmjc1UUXgPcLaB5dM7a?dl=0

I prepared the model also by two different CAD programs to see if there was a problem with the file. This wasn't the case.

I hope to find some answers to the problem. :)

Could you upload also the gcode just to be sure isn't hardware failing?

Could you upload also the gcode just to be sure isn't hardware failing?

You will find the gcode file in the dropbox as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/...1UUXgPcLaB5dM7a?dl=0

Link doesn't work

Link doesn't work

I'm sorry! It's the same link as before.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcsml9umkt96smx/AACwC_Zmjc1UUXgPcLaB5dM7a?dl=0

Many thanks!

Well I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It might be time to check the motor or stepper chip.

a) Check the UMO Board fan is working all the time and that's free of dust and spins right.

b) Check the motor cables, review everything related to the extruder motor from the chip to the motor itself.

When this happens, if you stop the print at restart it fast, does it extrude?

If you preheat manually Control/Temperature and then you go to Prepare/Move Axis/Move 1.0mm/Move Extruder does it extrude?

Well I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It might be time to check the motor or stepper chip.

a) Check the UMO Board fan is working all the time and that's free of dust and spins right.

b) Check the motor cables, review everything related to the extruder motor from the chip to the motor itself.

When this happens, if you stop the print at restart it fast, does it extrude?

If you preheat manually Control/Temperature and then you go to Prepare/Move Axis/Move 1.0mm/Move Extruder does it extrude?

a) umo board fan is working

b) cables are all plugged in

Manually extrude also works.

Maybe try other sd card??

Maybe try other sd card??

I also tried to do print it directly from the pc, but it failed at the same point. I also tried with different samples, even samples that worked previously.

It's a bit bizarre because it always stops to extrude from the second layer on. and this with every sample I tried.

Well there's a chance that the Fans at layer 1 (layer 2 in real life) is making some trouble. At layer 2 your fans to full throttle

;LAYER:1M106 S255

Can you try to edit this and set, something like S50 or S100? Or remove the line and manually change the fan pwm on the panel and gradually move it up until you can see what's happening? Maybe the Fan PWM is interfering with the Thermistor, I see this on posts of some setups with custom fans that where too powerfull.

If that's the case, I would try to install the @amedee custom firmware https://bultimaker.bulles.eu & don't change anything unless you have custom hardware. And activate the option called Slow PWM

Original Ultimaker firmware is using Fast PWM to control the fan. In some cases high PWM frequencies interfere with the temperature sensor. If your get erratic temperatures at slow fan speed, try this option
    • Like 1

Usually the Slow PWM would indicate an error message, from my experience

Did this problem occur after changing the fan?

Usually that error can be related with wire crosstalk, your fans (I mean Lepaul fans) where too powerful and since UMO has the thermistor amplifier on the top near the cables is more susceptible to get that (IMO).

I would like to ask to @joe-hoffmann to watch the temperature reported while fans go on, because at 255 (full force at layer 2) the issue could be just that the temperature goes below 170C and the extruder stops because the firmware has that setting to avoid damaging the motor (cold extrusion safety).

• Like 1

Good point I wonder what the fan is rated for (cfm)

I lowered my fan to 35 which roughly equals 14% for my new 100% setting

It works!! There is a problem with the fan but I don't know how to change the settings or even what I should change. I mechanicaly blocked the fan and it works. It would be great to know how to change this without blocking it manually :'D

But thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your help!!

If you block the fan it will iverheat and break. Can you edit the line I posted M106 255 to M106 100?

Or just disable cooling fan on Cura

Also please check the temperature of the heater on the screen when the fan goes on.

If you block the fan it will iverheat and break. Can you edit the line I posted M106 255 to M106 100?

Or just disable cooling fan on Cura

Also please check the temperature of the heater on the screen when the fan goes on.

But where can I edit the line you posted?

Search on a textedit the gcode file you posted.

With some additional details, we could get your fan to work properly