UM3 good quality but poor quality control

Krasnoyask

Posted (edited) · UM3 good quality but poor quality control

Ok so I may have posted that update to early!

How long have I had this printer? Not long. Two days is it, something like that.

I've only printed during the evening in those two days and now this...

image.thumb.jpeg.921c0c677d39ba4398403f0a2656ab0d.jpeg

So do I get another one? I thought it was supposed to be third time lucky. Maybe its fourth or fifth tho.

I'm not the only one having this problem.

This is getting to be too much!!!

wow. how the hell did that happen?

that takes some serious force to break it.. just checked all of my printers, none of them have this..

was this like that when you got it? how did it happen?

I'm not sure how or when, this is my third replacement printer in less than a week. Sounds like you've been really lucky with yours. 3DGBIRE checked this one before they sent it out to make sure it had none of the other problems the first two had. To be fair to them it hasn't. I found this last night while I was setting up to profile some PETG. I did check it over when I got this one two days ago and I never noticed it then. I've read that they can be over stressed on assembly or damaged in the post. It looks like more production/assembly problems to me. I won't hear from 3DBGIRE until Monday, so it looks like I've got the weekend to think about where to go with this now. It's good to hear there are people out there that are not having problems. I'm not sure if a fourth one is on the cards, the customer service is great, but from what I've seen this last week it needs to be.

Edited by Guest
Spelling, grammar the list goes on ;)

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · UM3 good quality but poor quality control

How long have I had this printer? Not long. Two days is it, something like that.

So do I get another one? I thought it was supposed to be third time lucky. Maybe its fourth or fifth tho.

that takes some serious force to break it.. just checked all of my printers, none of them have this..

I'm not sure how or when, this is my third replacement printer in less than a week. Sounds like you've been really lucky with yours. 3DGBIRE checked this one before they sent it out to make sure it had none of the other problems the first two had. To be fair to them it hasn't. I found this last night while I was setting up to profile some PETG. I did check it over when I got this one two days ago and I never noticed it then. I've read that they can be over stressed on assembly or damaged in the post. It looks like more production/assembly problems to me. I won't hear from 3DBGIRE until Monday, so it looks like I've got the weekend to think about where to go with this now. It's good to hear there are people out there that are not having problems. I'm not sure if a fourth one is on the cards, the customer service is great, but from what I've seen this last week it needs to be.

so it was probably like this when you got it?

it's just that that's an injection molded piece. the fact that it broke along that line is just plain weird.. that requires some really high force..

so it was probably like this when you got it?

it's just that that's an injection molded piece. the fact that it broke along that line is just plain weird.. that requires some really high force..

Possibly, maybe it's just opened up and it was there before. Melka has the same issue under his "UM3 stopped midpoint" post. I can see how snapping the rods into place would make it break in exactly that place. I'm guessing the rods should be pushed in from the side, like putting a peg in a hole. Possibly why some are like it and others are not, depending on the assembler or instruction.

Hi @Krasnoyask, thank you for the update!

'The replacement of the replacement, is it good' That is the BIG question we all ask ourselves! I had a short rendezvous with 3DGBIRE just to make sure it is on their radar, and it was so I felt comfortable. They (and we) take service very seriously. I like to think at Ultimaker we look after our customers.

I am very happy to hear this one seems to have made it safely to your home. Now all is left, is an update on those first test prints! :D

Have a great day, and don't keep us waiting too long ;)

The replacement of the replacement to be replaced?

Assembly or shipping damage?

I looked at boxing this one up this morning, so while I had the packaging I thought I would share with you these

image.thumb.jpeg.8cd78a263a7922ecb5f38a2bf9e8b3b8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a36650dd4238e2919450b8aa884c085a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0f9ca3d34e8e1b65a1a65961054ea7cd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d77bef87dccae02904d6e4b01857c8d.jpeg

I checked the printer over when I got it and it looked good so I dismissed the broken packaging as just broken packaging. I wasn't sure if it was just the misplaced power cable that coursed the packaging to break at first, but further inspection shows there has been a fairly large impact to the packaging where the rear of the printer sits.

image.thumb.jpeg.8cd78a263a7922ecb5f38a2bf9e8b3b8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a36650dd4238e2919450b8aa884c085a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0f9ca3d34e8e1b65a1a65961054ea7cd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d77bef87dccae02904d6e4b01857c8d.jpeg

Hi Krasnoyask, thank you for your post and thank you for sharing updates. But you are making me regret asking for them ;)

I have just sent you a message, I'm looking forward hearing from you.

If you are still on board, lets solve this for once and for all!

Just to add to the thread - I'm not at all happy with the quality of the machined front panels. The quality isn't great at all. It's this rough all the way around.

qulity.thumb.jpg.c66c848d2fac40f7e23492bdf970f727.jpg

Just got my UM3 under a week ago, and it prints like a charm—the active leveling is just what this printer needed, and the dual extrusion is better than most (more like all) of the machines I've used. I love the new UI—it's minimalist, beautiful, and well-thought out. Quality of prints absolutely blows my mind.

But I spotted the same problem as Krasnoyask—the wire rubbing against the belt.

5a3324434eea2_B3E73D86A9FE2E6ED9590691D579B99CE19673CD5F0A9B281Cpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.thumb.jpg.4aaccc4f3bfd44c6f7f50813025c5816.jpg

It's practically a ticking time-bomb—it'll probably print great for a couple of months or so, like nothing is wrong at all... then bang, the belt starts to wear down. Give it another two months, and you'd probably lose all accuracy on the Y-axis. All outside of the warranty. :/

So, I was just curious, and I looked at the files for the UM2, and guess what I found? It has this wire rubbing issue. (just measured this: the clearance from the wall to the belt on the UM3 is 4.5mm, and 3.5mm on the UM2) Now this is weird: I had my UM2 for two years, and nothing happened with the Y belt or the Y limit switch. And the design says that the tolerance is closer on the UM2 than the UM3. Now, I don't have access to the source files of the UM3, so some of the moderators might be able to check for this, but could this be a issue with the design? Or like with Krasnoyask, could this be more quality control issues? Is there a way to fix this, other than taping the wire to the wall? Thanks guys.

Here's a screenshot of the UM2's design:

5a33244365f75_Screenshot(508).thumb.png.3df77e465bae983f4b8ed093307f5fe6.png

Just got my UM3 under a week ago, and it prints like a charm—the active leveling is just what this printer needed, and the dual extrusion is better than most (more like all) of the machines I've used. I love the new UI—it's minimalist, beautiful, and well-thought out. Quality of prints absolutely blows my mind.

But I spotted the same problem as Krasnoyask—the wire rubbing against the belt.  

5a3324434eea2_B3E73D86A9FE2E6ED9590691D579B99CE19673CD5F0A9B281Cpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.thumb.jpg.4aaccc4f3bfd44c6f7f50813025c5816.jpg

It's practically a ticking time-bomb—it'll probably print great for a couple of months or so, like nothing is wrong at all... then bang, the belt starts to wear down. Give it another two months, and you'd probably lose all accuracy on the Y-axis. All outside of the warranty. :/

So, I was just curious, and I looked at the files for the UM2, and guess what I found? It has this wire rubbing issue. (just measured this: the clearance from the wall to the belt on the UM3 is 4.5mm, and 3.5mm on the UM2) Now this is weird: I had my UM2 for two years, and nothing happened with the Y belt or the Y limit switch. And the design says that the tolerance is closer on the UM2 than the UM3. Now, I don't have access to the source files of the UM3, so some of the moderators might be able to check for this, but could this be a issue with the design? Or like with Krasnoyask, could this be more quality control issues? Is there a way to fix this, other than taping the wire to the wall? Thanks guys.

Here's a screenshot of the UM2's design:

5a33244365f75_Screenshot(508).thumb.png.3df77e465bae983f4b8ed093307f5fe6.png

Hi RayvenMaker,

I have to agree with the first part of your post. It's this that makes it a difficult decision to live with it or without it.

I found on the three units I have had that the limit switch wires can just about be pushed away from the belt. The closer you push nearer the switch the better, but please be careful not to break the contacts that the wires are fixed to. I would recommend you check the LED wiring to. Same side, top front left, two of the units I had had the wires rubbing on the aluminium pulley. It's not easy to see, but you will clearly see it if it is rubbing, easily pushed clear.

The parts on this printer are generally very nice, I think if you have a good one you're good. The support team are excellent, I think if Ultimaker are aware of any issues with the earlier units it would only be decent of them to cover it under warranty later. Can anyone from Ultimaker can back this up?

I found on the three units I have had that the limit switch wires can just about be pushed away from the belt. The closer you push nearer the switch the better, but please be careful not to break the contacts that the wires are fixed to. I would recommend you check the LED wiring to. Same side, top front left, two of the units I had had the wires rubbing on the aluminium pulley. It's not easy to see, but you will clearly see it if it is rubbing, easily pushed clear.

The parts on this printer are generally very nice, I think if you have a good one you're good. The support team are excellent, I think if Ultimaker are aware of any issues with the earlier units it would only be decent of them to cover it under warranty later. Can anyone from Ultimaker can back this up?

Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty sure I have a good one, but I want to find as many faults (if they're even there) as I can before the warranty runs out. I checked the LED's wires, they're fine. Definitely—the Ultimakers are one of the best designed printers on the market: and that's coming from someone who works with SLS. I take a lot of inspiration from Ultimaker. ;)

Edited by Guest

Just to add to the thread - I'm not at all happy with the quality of the machined front panels. The quality isn't great at all. It's this rough all the way around.

qulity.thumb.jpg.c66c848d2fac40f7e23492bdf970f727.jpg

I think I've created a tread where us unlucky individuals hangout :( I do feel Ultimaker wants us to be happy with there products, but I do feel you on the quality front, some of the details are just annoying. If I get another replacement, knowing my luck I'll have that issue to face next. I'm not sure if I can be without an UM3, I'm sure I want to be happy with one though.

Hi Krasnoyask, thank you for your post and thank you for sharing updates. But you are making me regret asking for them ;)

Hi SandervG, reply sent, although it seems more disappeared this end. iPad is not friendly with this interface. Will post again tomorrow if it's not with you. Many thanks.

Hi SandervG, reply sent, although it seems more disappeared this end. iPad is not friendly with this interface. Will post again tomorrow if it's not with you. Many thanks.

Alright, looking forward hearing from you! I have indeed not received a message of some kind. Have a great day!

We certainly take all feedback at heart. All is being shared directly with QC and used to see if there is room to optimize / improve assembly and the final checks.

About warranty, well it is kinda hard to make a claim for future references without actually knowing what we are talking about. But I can tell you, we have always looked after our customers, and, within reason, if a defect is caused by something that did not meet up our standards, we will look for a reasonable solution that works for the both of us.

• Like 1

SanderG, I really do hope you guys are pushing the assembly/QC guys to sort out these issues. I for one have decided not to buy an Ultimaker 3 Extended because of what looks like amateur build quality.

To be honest, it looks like it's built to the same standard as cheap Chinese import 3D printers, which is a shame as my UM2 Extended + had fantastic build quality.

I'm sure the team at Ultimaker is just as frustrated by these reports as customers are.

I've met the Ultimaker team and they are first rate. I'm sure they'll resolve the problems and sort the issue out. I'm looking forward to purchasing an Ultimaker 3 in the near future.

• Like 1

No option to set LED brightness during print? Why take that away?

UM2+ I'd start print with light on the check quality but switch off if running overnight.

Also, on the XY offset chart...

16 comes AFTER 15, not before it. How do you get 16 between 15 and 10? How have these things not been checked before printing?

chart.thumb.jpg.e6305e4ac7c607fe2771993c4b09e942.jpg

And also this is confusing at first:

WWW.thumb.png.4426121d2c2c7d5d41952b2bd3be0946.png

That printout actually makes no sense until you read the manual and see that the glass plate needs to be removed.

Edited by Guest

No option to set LED brightness during print? Why take that away?

UM2+ I'd start print with light on the check quality but switch off if running overnight.

It is not a question of taking away, it is about not adding it (yet), since it is a completely new system that controls the display and menus.

Also, on the XY offset chart...

16 comes AFTER 15, not before it. How do you get 16 between 15 and 10? How have these things not been checked before printing?

And also this is confusing at first:

That printout actually makes no sense until you read the manual and see that the glass plate needs to be removed.

I guess that is still an old version of the XY offset sheet. This is the latest correct version :)

• Like 1

Edit Link works now...my browser must've been acting up

Edited by Guest

I am still onboard, I'll go down with the ship, or will I be made to walk the plank?

Shall we find out?

Ok, so by now you know my UM3 is my third printer, the replacement for the replacement, and it has problems with the slider blocks, posted late Friday. This was boxed back up Monday not just for the slider blocks but for this as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.6066315945695d153423b4852ca6abbc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae1b85424933e7ff9edfaf315a2f1e8e.jpeg

Now this looks like grinder marks from where the ends of the Z axis's were deburred. Hard to photo with my skills, but I can insert them with ease now.

Not good for the longevity for the bearings.

Also the X axis, different story, but also not good for the longevity of the bearings.

image.thumb.jpeg.b30bd1eff7e26e30c7c9e3f9576ca192.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac8704c42a007cd23a0f6eafa011537e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.54f42c8b922075fbff3bba35fc0eda84.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9a5d391832b9175b4d0fd006cb76fb6c.jpeg

If you look you can see scores running down the length of the rail. This is impossible for the printer to create those. So this was done before or at assembly. How hard was it to push that through those bearings? Very, looking at the scoring.

The other rails look good as they did on the other two printers.

Sorry Ultimaker, these are the units I have been sold. It prints so well, perfect for my needs, but I also need longevity.

On a higher note, it's awesome on PET-G, cue sparkle and shine.

image.thumb.jpeg.d3e4e3803102588dd15984de66d4befb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93df895c18069b099791ef5b75401dbf.jpeg

The dragon was a test for 0.7mm walls all around, top and bottom. Printed at 15 degrees over the recommended temperature, no cooling fans, 0.3mm layer, no clean up. What you cannot see is how it sparkles in the light as it is moved. Its so glossy it just refeclts the light, it looks like green diamonds. Also this is translucent, but it does not show in the pictures.

I do love you Ultimaker, but my printer sits here boxed up.

I'm not knowing what to do :(

@SandervG I'm jinxed :(

image.thumb.jpeg.6066315945695d153423b4852ca6abbc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae1b85424933e7ff9edfaf315a2f1e8e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b30bd1eff7e26e30c7c9e3f9576ca192.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac8704c42a007cd23a0f6eafa011537e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.54f42c8b922075fbff3bba35fc0eda84.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9a5d391832b9175b4d0fd006cb76fb6c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d3e4e3803102588dd15984de66d4befb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93df895c18069b099791ef5b75401dbf.jpeg

Edited by Guest
    Up loaded clearer pictures

Hi @Krasnoyask, thanks again for the update. Once again, the printers looks superb but, unfortunately, once again, the quality control leaves room for improvement.

I have sent you a reply on your DM with a possible solution on how to fix this. Perhaps it is something of your interest.

Looking forward hearing from you!

Ps; it appears here that it has been scientifically proven that knocking on wood, throwing salt or even spitting (recommend to do this outside) really helps in undoing a jinx. Perhaps worth checking out these options too ;)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Can't seem to find the Print Sequence in CURA 2.3 with the UM3 selected. Am I missing something? Have two small models loaded as per previous UM2+ builds.

cura23.png.fb1a6343cfaffec3299222fb4fd8a343.png

Edited by Guest

Can't seem to find the Print Sequence in CURA 2.3 with the UM3 selected. Am I missing something? Have two small models loaded as per previous UM2+ builds.

To stay on topic

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/33659-activating-print-sequence-in-cura

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that this is something that is not available on the UM3 presently. I'm sure as things evolve in Cura it will be available it the future.

Hi @Krasnoyask, thanks again for the update. Once again, the printers looks superb but, unfortunately, once again, the quality control leaves room for improvement.

I have sent you a reply on your DM with a possible solution on how to fix this. Perhaps it is something of your interest.

Looking forward hearing from you!

Ps; it appears here that it has been scientifically proven that knocking on wood, throwing salt or even spitting (recommend to do this outside) really helps in undoing a jinx. Perhaps worth checking out these options too ;)

If I do all three will this jinx me more?

I hope not. Reply updated to your message this morning.

Thanks as always, all solutions are of interest.