First layer is un even.

rebekah_harper

Posted · First layer is un even.

Hiya guys and gals,

I've had this problem for a little while now.

The problem is the first layer, it prints in even. In places it's fine, other places it's too close to the bed and other places it's not even sticking to the build plate. I've levelled it numerous times.

I even try to adjust during print.

Now when the layer is complete there is no pattern to suggest that one of the ends where there is an adjusting screw, is too high or low.

I'd describe the pattern as a splash.

I am using the new buildtak system but I've checked the level of it and is flat as the glass plate.

I have tried to see if the print head is not running true but I can't say it's not. (MK 1 eye ball isn't suitable)

Any one got any ideas?

Many thanks

Becky

Hopefully you understand the difference between "flat" and "level". If not look it up or think about it.

Just because your bed is flat doesn't mean your gantry is. Sometimes the entire printer is warped during shipping and one corner is or lower than the other 3 causing the print head to also be lower or higher in that corner. You c an try bending the frame back or you can try putting a shim under the glass such as a washer or pieces of paper. First you have to understand the problem exactly (where are the high/low spots even after leveling perfectly at the 3 screws).

I know some people who had a curved UM3 aluminum plate. They pushed and shoved it until it seemed straight (using a straight edge to check). They put the glass back on and it was much better.

Nah my glass plate is definitely curved.

check this out.

5a3324676e629_printbed3.thumb.jpg.e24377d29f83b3a1c55642870c315219.jpg

5a332465e2059_printbed2.thumb.jpg.1b472d32dfdd854f8c36619e8a5874b9.jpg

5a3324676e629_printbed3.thumb.jpg.e24377d29f83b3a1c55642870c315219.jpg

5a332465e2059_printbed2.thumb.jpg.1b472d32dfdd854f8c36619e8a5874b9.jpg

What country are you in? If you live somewhere where everyone lives in a home with glass windows then there should be glass shops nearby that can make this plate for about the cost of 2 cups of coffee. They'll even grind the edges smooth. The plate form ultimaker is *not* pyrex (it should be) but instead is tempered but you don't need tempered glass. Just ordinary window glass (but very thick glass) is fine. And inexpensive.

What country are you in?  If you live somewhere where everyone lives in a home with glass windows then there should be glass shops nearby that can make this plate for about the cost of 2 cups of coffee.  They'll even grind the edges smooth.  The plate form ultimaker is *not* pyrex (it should be) but instead is tempered but you don't need tempered glass.  Just ordinary window glass (but very thick glass) is fine.  And inexpensive.

thanks for the tip. I will follow up on that.

the post was mainly to create awareness that this might be a source for failing first layers. Its something worth checking.