PLA Filament, suppliers quality?

futura65

Posted · PLA Filament, suppliers quality?
No I haven't tried the Premium 90 grade from Orbitech. But from the good performance of their Premium 45 grade I think it's worth a try.

I looked for a real low wrab solution and the PLA 45 is really good. The prints are really dense, like solid material. I run with 230°C at 100mm/sec. I run this material now for about 120 hours almost nonstop for my remote control aircraft project, making the primary molds to laminate carbon fibre.

There is no wrap in this material, all the segments fit together like CNC milled.

[attachment=2]DSC04912.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]DSC04914.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]DSC04915.JPG[/attachment]

I will need some time to get it done then I will post it in thingiverse and on RCgroups

Michael

WOW the guy doing this airplane has made some great parts! These photos really show the quality this machine is capable of and the reason I ordered it. Just great! And thanks for letting us know what your findings are with the suppliers materials. I think it's interesting that even the different colors seem to have various differences and part of the reason I started this thread. Knowing one color is better or worse for various reasons will help everyone decide if jumping on that cheap lime green 5lb roll is really worth it. (I'm just making that up for example) For the start I'm going to stick with some basic Black/White PLA and try some Natural ABS too from Ultimachine.

• 3 months later...
    • Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if someone can PLA from thefutureis3d and 3dink? we printed with PLA and some vides on :http://i.youku.com/reprapPLA.

for PLA nature propeties, crystallise, that lead to much printing problem, some correcly printing intruction you can download from :

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CC8709D15BB78AA4!506&authkey=!AJrNhQC1vCR6vfw,follow the steps, you won't encounter problems with PLA.

800g/plastic spool right now in stock, the spool is 190mm*62mm,gross weight is 1kg. you can buy some samples (1.5kg/spool) from thefutureis3d and 3dink try PLA propeties, toughness and not break, there are no 800g/spool in stock from they, if you require them, they will order a batch of 800g/spool.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to add diamond age to the list, they manufacture all there own filament.

colours:

http://diamondage.co.nz/?page_id=108

I have have 1 roll left of the 4 that i ordered with a friend (we got a 10 pack), and i haven't had any under extrusion or grinding with these.

They also have a us distributor now as well:

http://www.printbl.com/

printbl sells for 48$ + shipping per roll.

diamondage I have only ever brought in a 10 pack, but to canada its $476 (shipping included) + import taxes

Cheers

Kym

It might be interesting to compare empirical notes. I obtained seven 1kg rolls of ABS from protoprinter on Ebay and measured the last few coils on a roll at twenty places with a micrometer. The micrometer precision is somewhat worse than 0.0001" (2.5 microns). I did not evaluate my measurement technique empirical, but I suspect it is repeatable to better than 0.001" (25 microns).

Half of the measurements were obtained parallel to the spool axis and half of them were perpendicular to the spool axis.

My results:

n=20

mean=2928 um

std. dev. (n-1) = 59 um

I forgot to record the exact values for the extreme spread as I punched the numbers into my hand calculator but it was around 0.1100" (2794 um) to 0.1180" (2997 um) (delta about 200 microns).

I'm curious how these numbers compare to what others have measured.