Ultimaker 3: Testing firmware 3.4.90

Daid

Posted · Ultimaker 3: Testing firmware 3.4.90

Part of general transparency and beta testing effort, we've yesterday pushed a new Ultimaker 3 firmware to the "Testing version" of the firmware.

Note that this version isn't considered stable (else it would be on stable). And we are currently still regression testing it. There are also a known bug which is quite important to know if you want to work with the latest and possible unstable firmware:

Manual bed leveling does not set the Z offset between nozzles correctly. It applies the paper thickness the wrong way around causing a 0.3mm offset.

Most noticeable changes:

• A few workflow speed improvements. Like the ability to skip the welcome setup, and tracking if the hotend is primed with material or properly deprimed. So we do not have to heatup the hotend if you are changing material and it was already deprimed at the end of a print.
  • You can see your hotend usage statistics in the "about this printer" menu.
  • Removed the error on starting a machine without printcores inserted (this was left over from early development)
  • Improved XY accuracy after active leveling, position occasionally was lost due to the XY motors being off during probing.
  • Sped up and improved the manual leveling procedure by removing the homing of the bed in between.
  • Improved handling of G4 and M400 so we still get temperature updates in this time.
  • Fixed the case LED http API
  • Fixed the temperature set API
  • Fixed a problem where printers would very rarely completely lock up.
  • Fixed a bug where the network interface would stop for a few seconds every minute if your WiFi hardware is broken/missing.
  • Improved NFC tag handling, both detection of tags and the user flow has improved which should result in less problems.

Note that updating to this firmware is at your own risk.

• Like 1

@Daid I been editing the paper thickness to 0 on the json, would manual editing to 0.00 hotfix the second z offset ?

Yes it would.

As bonus, this update supports "override" files, you can put a modified .json file in /var/lib/griffin/machines/ and it will load that instead of the one in /usr/share/griffin/machines

And it won't get erased on an update. As extra bonus, you can put just your overrides in there by abusing the hardware revision. If you make a file called 9066-0.json and put the this in there, you can overrule definitions without requiring a full copy of the configuration file, just your overrides.

{

"inherit": "9066.json",

"properties": {

"leveling_paper_thickness": 0.0

}

}

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3: Testing firmware 3.4.90

Works perfectly.

Also. The Bed leveling procedure is super clean and much more precise. I did use a 0.04 feller gauge and both extruders landed perfectly on the same height.

I still think that since the z offset of the second core is done using 0.01 steps it could be beneficial to also use 0.01 on the first core z tune instead of 0.02. I'll dig to see where I need to edit the python to check if it's worth. Anyhow clearly the changes on acceleration and smooth z reposition are very welcome.

All this ofc changing paper thickness on griffin.

Edit: Been doing lots of tests today more than just a quick print. I see a +0.10ish difference on the second core. Ofc I have modded the machine way beyond standard so I might be completely wrong.

Edit: Many prints later. The offset difference doesn't show on the starting purge sequence but on the print. I pinpoint the Z difference to 0.05-0.06 higher on the second extruder. Atm prints are going perfect perfect. I print mostly 0.2 layers so any difference is very easy to actually see if one pushes too much or too low after each layer.

Edited by Guest

We're still in the process of testing issue EM-1222, this will improve the measured position of the 2nd nozzle, as it will do 3 measurements instead of 1.

• Like 1

We're still in the process of testing issue EM-1222, this will improve the measured position of the 2nd nozzle, as it will do 3 measurements instead of 1.

In the end my temporal hotfix was editing the printer_preferences.json and edit manually the Z offset of the core. To get the right spot I used sendgcode and changes the tool manually and did various test to get the good Z after doing a more byhand manual calibration moving the head like I do on my 3 mo+2. The prints are fabulous atm.

Edited by Guest

Testing firmware has been updated to 3.5.0

This still isn't the final release. As we are still testing and finding a few minor things here and there.

The 3.5.0 changes active leveling, it changes the measuring locations to points where we are getting better results. It also measures both nozzles 3 times. All this will still being faster then before. Some internal changes make the measurements a bit more accurate. And we added more sanity checks here.

There are also some other fixes and improvements, for example, we track if the hotend was "deprimed" (no more filament inserted) and then speed up the material and hotend unload processes, as we no longer need to heatup and cooldown then.

Edited by Guest

Testing firmware has been updated to 3.5.0

This still isn't the final release. As we are still testing and finding a few minor things here and there.

The 3.5.0 changes active leveling, it changes the measuring locations to points where we are getting better results. It also measures both nozzles 3 times. All this will still being faster then before. Some internal changes make the measurements a bit more accurate. And we added more sanity checks here.

There are also some other fixes and improvements, for example, we track if the hotend was "deprimed" (no more filament inserted) and then speed up the material and hotend unload processes, as we no longer need to heatup and cooldown then.

Did update two days ago. Saw that the core info of the Z now is on each core, much better. After doing the manual calibration I still got a bit numbers off from what it really was, a 0.24 difference to doing it by gcode and changing the core switch mechanism by hand. Doing the calibration without decimal points might help since storing beyond 0.00 might give errors rounding? (thinking out loud). The 9066-0.json on the var/lib/griffin doesn't work (didn't work also on the previous version). Maybe that's not the folder to upload it? I did the 9066-0.json and reboot, then used python command line to list and the esteps where the same from the usr/share/griffin/griffin/machines/9066.json

5a332501848ea_Capturadepantalla2016-12-13alas10_57_54.thumb.png.55fd2de911f4ab4749a77c7231c8f533.png

Maybe the inherit must actually point to the other folder?

Anyhow changing the esteps by ssh isn't hard at all, just wondering.

5a332501848ea_Capturadepantalla2016-12-13alas10_57_54.thumb.png.55fd2de911f4ab4749a77c7231c8f533.png

Also BTW @daid what's this? ;) any secret project?

5a33250196950_Capturadepantalla2016-12-13alas11_01_04.thumb.png.8aff0a7c17a199eaa8235c13b8ffce67.png

WattoGo ^o^

5a33250196950_Capturadepantalla2016-12-13alas11_01_04.thumb.png.8aff0a7c17a199eaa8235c13b8ffce67.png

Also BTW @daid what's this? ;)any secret project?

WattoGo ^o^

Just a random proof of principle experiment. Remember, we use star-wars names for just about anything. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Watto

As you might also noticed, the hex file isn't there, as the experiment didn't continue beyond a single machine.

As for secret projects, yes, we have them.

As for the 3.5 firmware. The 3.5.1 is a quick fix for a problem where the heated bed was causing some problems with the active leveling measurements on the 3.5.0, we are currently working on a better fix. As the 3.5.1 now takes longer before a print starts. (As it heats the bed after leveling instead of during)

• Like 2