Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

popping sound started last night on an ultimaker 3, how do I remove it again

BasHamer

Posted · popping sound started last night on an ultimaker 3, how do I remove it again

I have no idea where it comes from other than the feed on the back. So far the printer has gone trough about 2 spools in the last few weeks and probably has been on ~20-22 hrs a day for the last week.

Posted · popping sound started last night on an ultimaker 3, how do I remove it again

Hi Bas,

To me this sounds like the bed-leveling system making tiny Z-corrections constantly. The same thing (though not as imminent as in your case) kept me confused for quite some time before I could pinpoint it.

There are some other threads around this subject that you can go see, f.i. https://ultimaker.com/en/community/33351-knocking-sound-while-printing .

well I can rule that option out;

1. it started mid run (6 hrs in).

2. the ticks do not change in speed as it goes around a circle; if it was a z correction then the z offset should follow a sine as it goes around the circle, and at the peek and valley there would be fewer corrections.

3. it jumps from one end of the model to another w/o any ticks if it is not extruding.

My ticks follow the amount of material, it ticks faster when building the outside walls. and slower when building the inside support structures.

Sounds pretty much the same as when my UM2+ feeder had a small blob of PLA stuck in it, which must have happened while removing the previous filament.

For me I was lucky enough that it fell out when I removed the filament.

same happened for me, pulled out the orange and some black scrap came out with it :)

Archived