s3g files at Ultimaker without SD???

goodwell

Posted · s3g files at Ultimaker without SD???

Hello at all

this is my first Post in this forum.

I played with my Ultimaker a lot of days, and look some times in Thingiversed.

There i found s3g files.

Now my question.

How can i print this s3g files with my Ultimaker without SD Card?

And can i print this files on Ultimaker or is it only usable for makerbot??

And sorry for my english, its not my language.

Greetings

Goodwell

S3G are special files designed for the makerbot replicator. It may look similar to Gcode, but please dont try it on an ultimaker, you can break the machine.

G-code/S3G files are made to run on a specific machine, thats why you have so much settings in skeinforge. If you try to run the gcode on another machine, it can cause havoc due to several factors like temperature, speed of the extruder, etc. etc.

Use STL, OBJ or something similar instead. These are files designed for multiple platforms, and they dont have any information regarding machine functionality.

EDIT: See also this post.

Thank you mr_seeker for the fast answer.

I´m confused about, that some makes then s3g only files.

This would be usable for people they use the same Makerbot only. (stand today, so i understand the linked post)

Some else: Isn´t right that RapG makes s3g files for printing from SD-Card?

I see, i must learn a lot for Ultimaker and the software.

To compare it with software:

g-code/s3g = machine specific language.

STL = sourcecode.

Its a bit like having software for the iPhone, while you are using Android. Unless they change the software so you can make it run on Android, it wont work.

RepG makes s3g files specifically for the makerbot replicator, like Bits From Bytes does for their machines. Ultimaker follows international standards and uses standard g-code.

RepG makes s3g files specifically for the makerbot replicator, like Bits From Bytes does for their machines. Ultimaker follows international standards and uses standard g-code.

Minor correction: s3g has been around since the MakerBot Cupcake.

IIRC, it's sortofa binary protocol and was probably added to reduce the bandwidth requirements between the host PC and the bot.

"IIRC, it's sortofa binary protocol and was probably added to reduce the bandwidth requirements between the host PC and the bot."

But it do mean its not funktion with Ultimaker.

How can i then print files bigger then 35 MB?

Netfabb stops after 2 or 3 houers and Rapg does not take a big file.

But it do mean its not funktion with Ultimaker..

True.

How can i then print files bigger then 35 MB?

Skeinforge has something called "gcode small" which can greatly reduce the size of the output gcode file. Netfabb doesn't have this..

No promises but I'll see if I can write something that mimics what "gcode small" does so we can shrink down the netfabb output - hopefully it will get small enough that repg won't barf on it. Got Windows? It'll almost certainly be a windows program..

Yes i have win 7.

I hope for future that the problem with direct print at Netfabb will be ok.

In the moment i use an beta from netfabb with 250k in direct print, but my printer stops after 2 or 3 hours and netfabb shows it be working.

If i would stop the print or manipulate my printer in netfabb it does not show any reaktion on my printer (looks like disconnect).

The same Gcode works properly with repg (in 115k, i don´t know how i can change the baude rate in rapg)

(oh my english.....)

....hm, come of topic, i think.