Ultimaker 2 with 35W heater cartridge

jofleck

Posted · Ultimaker 2 with 35W heater cartridge

Hey everybody,

this week my heater cartridge of my UM2 needed to be replaced because of a broken cable. So I ordered a new one labeled "Only compatible with the Ultimaker 2 family". After I replaced the cartridge the temperature of my UMO2 overshoots and oscillates in a range of +/- 10 °C.

I noticed that there is only one version with 35W available. The original Ultimaker 2 without the extrusion upgrade was shipped with a 25W cartridge. So I took the PID values from the UM2+ which uses the 35W cartridge -> No Problems.

M301 P10.03 I1.5 D70.00M500

It would be nice to have an option in the settings menu for selecting the cartridge version.

So did I something wrong or is that the normal behavior with a 35W cartridge? I didn't find the old 25W version

Well that certainly should be clear when you buy a 35W heater. Specially if inly says Ultimaker 2 Family.

Indeed your changes where perfect if the heater is 35W. Oficial firmware doesn't allow you to change pid of the heater, but @tinkergnome firmware does. Is much more flexible and it allows you to even change the esteps if you ever need it (along with some pretty useful options).

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/33482-tinker-firmware-introduction

Also @sandervg maybe the heaters are being mislabeled? Because it could be slightly problematic for novice users I think. Just my 2 cents.

Anyhow you fixed your issue perfectly @jofleck

• Like 1

Perfect :)Then I´m not worried while printing :)

Well that certainly should be clear when you buy a 35W heater. Specially if inly says Ultimaker 2 Family.  

And thats the problem. The heaters aren't labeled as a 35W heater. In the moment I haven´t a use case for a more powerful heater. I don't care about waiting a few seconds longer for heating up. I just wanted a replacement which works out of the box and I think many other users too :).

I don't think they are mislabeled, but maybe they should come with clearer instructions. I'll double check and see if and where they can be included. Thanks for notifying us!

• 2 months later...

For the reference. My current PID values on UM2 (Tinker firmware) before upgrading from 25W heater to 35W one:

P10.00 I2.50 D100.00

They can me be viewed using M503 command.

Maybe we should port the UM3 PID controller to the UM2? It has a few extra features that greatly assist in stability of the temperature control. Then we might be able to find a parameter set that works for both the 25W and 35W.