Ultimaker 3

VapeLounge

Hi guys. I have a problem with the second extruder, BB, of my Ultimaker 3. When loading the PVA, the wire pusher does its duty but, when it comes to the extruder, it keeps pushing and does not exit the wire. Who can help me? Thank you.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3

There's a couple of things that can be happening here. One possible cause is that the end of the filament is hitting the side of the metal tube of the core instead of entering the hole. Straightening out the end of the filament will likely take care of this.

It could also be that the nozzle has become clogged with degraded PVA. To clean that out you need to follow these steps:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23132-maintaining-the-bb-print-core

In both cases the feeder has likely started to grind the material which means the little wheel that pushes filament is likely clogged up with plastic dust. Sometimes it's enough to blow sharply into the hole on the back of the feeder but you might need to open it up. You can see what that looks like here:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

To extract the filament you can simply lift on the little lever on the feeder and then manually pull the filament out.

Edited by Guest

> the wire pusher does its duty but

I don't recommend using the motor to insert and remove filament. Instead do it by hand (lift that lever on the feeder to release tension). If the nozzle is at the proper temperature for PVA (really anything above 150C) and nothing is coming out push the head to the far corner from the feeder and try going in and out a few more times. There are a few places the filament can get caught. pushing the bowden around a bit on the head might help also such that it is angling the PVA down at different angles.

Inspect your pva because at this point it is probably ground up inside the feeder. To repair just cut a few cm off the tip of the pva and re-insert such that the ground up spot is now past the pusher-wheel. (gnurled sleeve).

Posted · Ultimaker 3

Ok guys, I'm doing a print and PVA does his job. I have only one last problem, ie, it happens that the PVA in some parts will break and that it then becomes unstable, can be diburdened by a bad leveling of the plane?

Please post a picture @VapeLounge

Posted · Ultimaker 3

Please post a picture @VapeLounge

Now I'm out of the house. Just indented a photo.

5a3325396361e_ultimaker3.thumb.png.7f2f41ea79dc9d370ac92249673abc92.png

5a3325396361e_ultimaker3.thumb.png.7f2f41ea79dc9d370ac92249673abc92.png

Edited by Guest

Hmm. No idea right now. Anyone else?

Posted · Ultimaker 3

I thought you could be pushing wire. I tried to loosen the screw that tensions the spring, let's see what happens!

To me the breaks in the supports are most probably due to some underextrusion or bad layer bonding. I think this happens when the PVA has taken some humidity.

Also what temp are you printing with the PVA?

Posted · Ultimaker 3

Hi, thanks for the answer. I'm printing at 200 degrees Celsius.

PVA's default printing temperature should be 215. I'd recommend turning it up to get the feeding a little more even. How are you storing the PVA when it's not in use?

Posted · Ultimaker 3

I'il check the temperature. PVA I keep it in the printer.

PVA is pretty humidity sensitive, so I would go ahead and store it in a sealed bag or container with some silica packs if it's not in use.

Posted · Ultimaker 3

PVA is pretty humidity sensitive, so I would go ahead and store it in a sealed bag or container with some silica packs if it's not in use.

Ok fbrc8. Thx soo much.

That is not how a good print with PVA should look like.

Below a humidity of 55% the Ultimaker PVA stays ok to print with for months. Above that, reliability problems start to occur. So indeed, keep an eye on ambient conditions.

Furthermore, if you have had an incident with PVA, please clean the BB nozzle according to the instructions. Although it may be extruding when you push the filament by hand, my experience is that it is not easy to determine whether or not the nozzle is clean. When in doubt, clean it.

Oh and last but not least: start with using the default quality profiles. A lot of time have gone into these, the settings are really good. Only start experimenting with settings after you have become familiar with the printer and the new materials.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Posted · Ultimaker 3

That is not how a good print with PVA should look like.

Below a humidity of 55% the Ultimaker PVA stays ok to print with for months. Above that, reliability problems start to occur. So indeed, keep an eye on ambient conditions.

Furthermore, if you have had an incident with PVA, please clean the BB nozzle according to the instructions. Although it may be extruding when you push the filament by hand, my experience is that it is not easy to determine whether or not the nozzle is clean. When in doubt, clean it.

Oh and last but not least: start with using the default quality profiles. A lot of time have gone into these, the settings are really good. Only start experimenting with settings after you have become familiar with the printer and the new materials.

[/quote/

Thx soo much.