Is the Ruby Nozzle for the Olsson Block for Sale?

Wisar

Posted · Is the Ruby Nozzle for the Olsson Block for Sale?

a.PNG.532c5a91e4bc99375f8012c40133d53c.PNG

@fbrc8-erin - you have so many printers it takes up more space than some of your posts! :O:O:):)

lol

You could say "I have every UM printer" but I guess this way it's more impressive!

a.PNG.532c5a91e4bc99375f8012c40133d53c.PNG

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the vibration thing sorted with the final release?

Posted (edited) · Is the Ruby Nozzle for the Olsson Block for Sale?

Is the vibration thing sorted with the final release?

Nope. The latest version doesn't remove ringing. The other week installed the oldold first beta and it does remove quite a lot of ringing but all the other betas and final version don't. Is still a mystery why that happens...

I must add that is been quite a lot since I don't use a ruby nozzle and I'm too lazy to install a e3d and run some tests, maybe @meduza did any test on that area?

Edited by Guest

Thats a shame, I guess ill need to do the stepper hack eventually. I was testing the ringing ruby nozzle quite extensively and while I got no jams or any bad things happened, I had more visible noise ( something normal people wouldn't notice) and as the print temp had to be increased due to removing the ringing from the nozzle, the part would eventually start to degrade in quality if i went to high. It became a trade off for temp and ringing removal, but with the need to print with high temps I'm just not used to. Either way the results were good and it appeared very reliable, just looking extra close the vibration thing got me annoyed as acetoning it away can produce more wobbly results. The smoother it is to begin with the better.

I may post my results on a separate thread, I took tons of photos, but I didn't even get round to sending them to anders so that would be a bit rude of me. Seeing as its released now I don't see a point. If you print with destructive filaments I guess its a no brainer, get it.

Thats a shame, I guess ill need to do the stepper hack eventually. I was testing the ringing ruby nozzle quite extensively and while I got no jams or any bad things happened, I had more visible noise ( something normal people wouldn't notice) and as the print temp had to be increased due to removing the ringing from the nozzle, the part would eventually start to degrade in quality if i went to high. It became a trade off for temp and ringing removal, but with the need to print with high temps I'm just not used to. Either way the results were good and it appeared very reliable, just looking extra close the vibration thing got me annoyed as acetoning it away can produce more wobbly results. The smoother it is to begin with the better.

I may post my results on a separate thread, I took tons of photos, but I didn't even get round to sending them to anders so that would be a bit rude of me. Seeing as its released now I don't see a point. If you print with destructive filaments I guess its a no brainer, get it.

The nozzle had quite a lot of changes from the beta before summer than this final design. For example it doesn't need more temp and it doesn't generate blobs from pressure like that old beta.

I only had the issue of heat with the beta, I found it to print quite well actually with no blobs. But Im going to try the old skool nozzle again, as i often look at my old prints and wonder how I got such detailed prints. I have some time soon so will do some tests.

I printed the ultimate holder for the Olsson Ruby nozzle (printed in copperfill):

photo_2017-01-04_16-21-46.thumb.jpg.8037ac79606d1000d8096d14d6d1fcbf.jpg

3d printer bling!

photo_2017-01-04_16-21-46.thumb.jpg.8037ac79606d1000d8096d14d6d1fcbf.jpg

• Like 7

first print with the ruby.

2.5 yr old bronzefill, it's very brittle, but still printing ok.

ruby.thumb.png.fd631629993fef9c2b66020356be3963.png

ruby.thumb.png.fd631629993fef9c2b66020356be3963.png

• Like 2

I've been loving my ruby.]

So far I've had no issues at all. Perfect prints, no blockages and it also seems to clean more easily.

I've used GID, Wood and carbon filled and the nozzle looks like new.

Some virtual foundry copper has been ordered :)

so, I've been using my Ruby daily since release. In fact it's all I've really used.

I've been through many kilos of carbon and steel based filament. The nozzle is genuinely still like new.

The only thing I've obviously observed is that I do need to increase temps a bit higher than what I used with a normal bronze nozzle, and that amount seems to vary a little with filaments but is probably a good 10 degrees.

I haven't experienced any ringing that I can see.

It is great though, never blocked and although I've done a bunch of atomic pulls i've never had any buildup within it.

• Like 1

I have printed only PLA with it and so far I didn't need to increase temperature. Is this only needed for other filament types?

I don't know, maybe - Maybe there's some other issue and it's coincidental.

Belts are tight, extruder gearing looks fine, nozzle is definitely clear. All the usually underextrusion culprits covered. But I have been using carbon / steel and also harder rigid inc filaments so maybe it's more that the change of filaments require more temp ?

I guess I should change nozzles over and conduct more tests, perhaps something else is out.

Resting ambient temperature shows bed and hot-end +/- 1 degree of each other and pretty much bang on for the environment so I don't think is that.

Take a look the knurled bolt on the feeder. If you print with abrasive material, it might wear out too.

Yeah I had checked before but just as a sanity check i just had another look.

All looks fine to me:

https://goo.gl/photos/Vv4JMMhHJbcbbWvSA

https://goo.gl/photos/qKQdjzJPoCbQ48hFA

https://goo.gl/photos/r6bT7KjUJa622ePc9

Any other ideas?

I guess maybe thermo coupler.

Maybe the ruby nozzle diameter is a little smaller than your brass nozzles.

I may get one just to see out of curiosity, but to be honest, I've been through countless rolls of filament with a standard nozzle using PLA and have never got a block, jam, and have never done an atomic pull or anything. it prints as new. just curious but what benefit other than printing with more abrasive materials does the ruby nozzle offer? I was hoping for less noise on the surface of my um2 prints at higher speeds but apparently not.

its not so much that regular will block or anything, it's that they will deteriorate and widen.

As such what should be a constant (nozzle opening diameter) becomes a variable. That's never good.

Also, in my opinion the most important, the shoulder(flat nozzle surface that spreads the plastic out) stays constant. Whereas with brass nozzles it grows due to wear.

I noticed a huge quality difference going from brass nozzle to ruby.

I do need to up the temps 5-10 degrees Celsius, but I'm running a beta nozzle with worse heat conductivity.

I don't believe I have a beta, but it's good to know.

That's a good point actually, what I'm experiencing is actually not typical under extrusion but that parallel wall lines don't close where they used to, small gaps.

Now, I had diagnosed that as underextrusion due to temp, however you're right one noticeable difference is that the Olsson Ruby nozzle has a sharper tip than any of my brass nozzles. The shoulder is certainly thinner.

I wonder if the filament just isnt getting as squished.

Posted (edited) · Is the Ruby Nozzle for the Olsson Block for Sale?

One of the beautiful things of the ruby is that if there's something wrong, it shows it.

E3d and other nozzles, flats the extrusion error and blur them. Ruby makes a more precise extrusion, so if you have extruder slipping, coupler damaged, excessive pressure in bowden due angle changes, it can show all.

Edited by Guest