Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
rod

Ultimaker filament feeder bowden tube replacement to direct drive.

Hi all.

Just uploaded my latest Ultimaker mod to youtube k9JoSJg7SIQ

Rod

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

That's a pretty cool a idea to make a lightweight direct drive, i'm guessing that the extra weight is not that much and has no impact on vibrations when printing faster.

Are you planning to make it available somewhere ? The gears are metal or printed? Are you using the same motor as the original feeder?

Awesome work anyway!

That's a pretty cool a idea to make a lightweight direct drive, i'm guessing that the extra weight is not that much and has no impact on vibrations when printing faster.

Are you planning to make it available somewhere ? The gears are metal or printed? Are you using the same motor as the original feeder?

Awesome work anyway!

Hi

Feedhead weight now 49grms .I removed the material cooling fans scrouding ect a year ago and replaced with air from a pump witch fans out just below the hot end nozzle .The only fan i use is to cool my hotend setup whitch is not standard

so should be a lot lighter than the original. Bevel gears are brass motor is the

original ultimaker material feed motor.As to making feeder a kit all depends on the

cost and feedback i get back.Now working on idears fo MK 2.

Thanks all for your interest.

Rod.

024.thumb.JPG.d0e8511716494c9e6466a4c620628396.JPG

The bowden fan is an interesting idea.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/3435-new-fan-cooling-design#reply-19327

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/3435-new-fan-cooling-design#reply-19299

Hi replacing the fans with an airjet has worked out well for me as it gives

me more control of temp when printing.Fans can produce to mutch air to the wrong place that can have an adverse efect on buildplate temp and nozzle temp

resulting in bad prints and other problems plus they add extra weight to the moving printhead. I printed a Tourbillon watch by Christoph Laimer with the airjet with very few problems.

Rod001.thumb.JPG.aae9fe819abcd2bc6239d78e51e60882.JPG[/media]

024.thumb.JPG.d0e8511716494c9e6466a4c620628396.JPG

001.thumb.JPG.aae9fe819abcd2bc6239d78e51e60882.JPG