Zero gravity direct drive extruder

Posted (edited) · Zero gravity direct drive extruder

This is self explanatory

This makes me want to buy a UMO+ just to mod it to this point!  Brilliant stuff and amazing prints, well done @neotko and @gudo.

Well @gudo made it originally for the um2, I think it could even be done on a um3...

The most amazing part is that is very easy to install if you have basic skills (like plugging a bondtech more or less).

Edited by Guest

Posted · Zero gravity direct drive extruder

gudo and neotko congratulations on an ingenious and apparently very successful design! I've been a long term 'lurker' on the forums here, and have been using an Ultimaker 2 Extended since soon after they were released to make architectural models. I was a long time user of Makerbots before the Ultimaker and see the Bowden tube system as the only downside of what is otherwise a much better machine than any of the Makerbots. We often print extrusions that vary only small amounts in the x and y over the duration of a print, such as walls, boxes, towers etc. As such the inherent inaccuracy of the elastic Bowden tube is very noticeable, particularly with layer heights of say .3. We need to print relatively large things quickly and neatly and don't care too much about strength. I think generally the 3D printer market doesn't cater very well to us architects.

I would be extremely interested to see a bill of materials and print geometries for this 'add-on' and would be equally excited if you were to offer it as a commercial product. I've come out to join the forum to ask this; I hope you'll welcome me aboard the Ultimaker forum train!

Thanks for your hard work.

What kind of objects? I'm running out of test to do, last test atm is doing retraction calibration and seems 0.3mm retraction for my 1.75mm um2 head is more than enough to avoid any stringing at 225C 0.2 layer 70mm/s

That's the test just finished right now.

If you have any object to print, and tell me the speed/layer/temperature I could do more stress test with it.

Also, I agree, this delivers less blobs, much more exactitude from extrusion since the filament doesn't flex, and ofc, this shows how on my other bowden umo+2 I need 3.00 retractions to avoid stringing but with gudo zge I only need 0.3mm. That clearly shows how much delay there's on a bowden vs a dd. I'm so amazed with the prints with flexibles, check my twitter, I been doing lots of tests and prints this past days.

Edited by Guest

IMG_4666.thumb.JPG.fd9ba5379fedb660d9e7106d025f2a31.JPG

Top row 0.1mm retraction

Next row 0.2-0.4-0.6-0.8, up to 1.4 bottom row 1.4

Seems the safe & clean at 0.6-0.8mm

Print speed 70mm/s 0.2 layers 225C (high temp to increase dripping on the test) Smartmaterials Orange PLA

FFF S3D file with all process at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fda72wga0f523zd/ZGE-dripping-test-1.75.factory?dl=0

IMG_4666.thumb.JPG.fd9ba5379fedb660d9e7106d025f2a31.JPG

Edited by Guest

IMG_4688.thumb.JPG.3153007270d6dd639ccea65c7af3c2b6.JPG

IMG_4696.thumb.JPG.0ea96a91c0057918af7e2a47bb1e5f76.JPG

IMG_4695.thumb.JPG.5b29e494f285bb5288a5927afc5f8b18.JPG

Printed two torture test at the same time to increase the chances of making an error, but nope, all perfect and very fast (I don't print slow because I don't use anything below 50mm/s)

Print was done 50mm/s 0.14 layer height, 205C Colorfabb Signal Yellow and the number of retractions was a very light number of 5100. Print time 02h because the top area did need auto speed adjustment due short time layers. I did record a time lapse of the print, so I'll upload it later.

Anyone has any torture test that I could do? I'm running out of things to torture it with :D

FFF on this print test (1.75mm, change that on advanced if you dare to print this)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uo0lhf4w1hq34e3/ZGDD-test16-pla-0.9retract-torture.factory?dl=0

IMG_4688.thumb.JPG.3153007270d6dd639ccea65c7af3c2b6.JPG

IMG_4696.thumb.JPG.0ea96a91c0057918af7e2a47bb1e5f76.JPG

IMG_4695.thumb.JPG.5b29e494f285bb5288a5927afc5f8b18.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

Here is a torture test idea:

Print the same thing you just did, but in FilaFlex! :D

(Or orignial Ninjaflex, not semi, not Cheatah).

Too mean? :p

Sure I have recreus filaflex. Sounds totally doable, but ofc it will show strings unless I print slow, I hate to print slow. Umm maybe a 3-4h should do it. Ok, will try.

Results look amazing, are there any plans to release the BOM and 3D models for this ?

Would love to try this setup myself :) Its going to be worth it just on how cool it looks alone heh :)

Ok @Krys

IMG_4706.thumb.JPG.3f8a63bd9106b7ff28271a45c4bdfe5c.JPG

If you ever printed with flexibles, you get the idea.

Short distance retractions 1-2cm, can be totally under control. But the left part on the hotend drips naturally making small strings, but if you actually see the 'travel paths' the head does, you get the idea, it show errors on very long movements, but prints quite amazingly on short distances.

I really don't have the patience to print slow XDD This photo shows 01h:40mins into the print. I could do a 5h print that looks close to perfect, but meh, I hate that kind of print tests that don't tell you all the real problems of a filament. And recreus filaflex does DRIP like mad. Ofc that's also an advantage, clearly flexibles have the tendency to burn on the nozzle, for example smartmaterials flex, can actually clog the head (it even says it so on their pdf of how to print with it). On the other side recreus doesn't clog, but it does drip very fast.

I will do a small cube retraction distance test to calibrate how far I can actually pull up the filament without issues, but I think the real limit will be around 4 real milimeters. At 2.0mm the retractions do show great improvement vs my first print 0.9.

Clearly flexibles are a whole different world.

One of the advantages of doing all this with a ptfe/tfm coupler, is that you can actually retract more than what a metal hotend can without clogging it.

This image will give everyone a good sense of all the dripping that doesn't occur. Is a weird concept, but is a good fact.

5a3326fb1d08f_Capturadepantalla2017-02-05alas18_29_56.thumb.png.34ba465bd8333974978b2bbd35942a60.png

IMG_4715.thumb.JPG.a02e198aaa4d2d9f109224de4e21d1a5.JPG

And flexibility proof at

• Like 4

Actually, for a fast FilaFlex print, that came out quite decently!

Looking at the thin walls, the dome at the back, the central legs and of course the DNA spiral, I think I would struggle to achieve that with the bowden setup.

I think, like you say, slower with better retraction would make the print come out almost perfect.

Thanks for accepting my challenge! :D

• Like 1

Well @gudo made it originally for the um2, I think it could even be done on a um3...

The most amazing part is that is very easy to install if you have basic skills (like plugging a bondtech more or less).

How does the solution look for the UM3?

Is this also possible for the UM2 Dual Head?

Edited by Guest

Hi zespaner_gerd

Yes it's possible !

neotko and I are studying an adaptation for the UM3

we are very optimist, it should work as well as for the single extrusion.

• Like 1

@zerspaner_gerd This is a shot from a video @Gudo posted on the other forum, it illustrates the basic idea.

5a33271f8083d_Capturadepantalla2017-02-09alas11_37_18.thumb.png.c4e7a13f0298752c4fcd1c7301bf6b07.png

Edit: Oh @gudo already answered, perfect!

Also I take the opportunity to announce that @Gudo and I have decided to join forces and we will be releasing a ready-to-plug-print version.

BUT OFC Gudo will release the files/BOM so anyone can print the parts and make their version. But since DIY is a big barrier for many users we are putting our effort on making all the steps as easy as possible. So far, we are almost there. On the following weeks we will be focusing on doing a first beta for some users and then release first working Beta for the world to enjoy. Isn't easy to prepare all since we are just two individuals but I thing that the ZGE is something really worth our effort.

5a33271feb517_Capturadepantalla2017-02-09alas12_46_28.png.05813229b5f5a02a61a9535294d87803.png

5a33271f8083d_Capturadepantalla2017-02-09alas11_37_18.thumb.png.c4e7a13f0298752c4fcd1c7301bf6b07.png

5a33271feb517_Capturadepantalla2017-02-09alas12_46_28.png.05813229b5f5a02a61a9535294d87803.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

to illustrate the dual ZGE cinematic animation

• Like 2

Why is it called "Zero Gravity"?

I came out with that name because there's close to no weight on the head, and the system could compensate the weight to make it virtually zero. Ofc there's inertia and that, but is as close as possible to zero extra weight on the head. Basically it keeps the head lightweight with the advantage of a full weight nema or planetary geared motor. So it can have horse power without the weight of a full motor.

I think I would love it as 2th head on the magnetic toolchanger.... guess it should be possible when using the right back corner as the base.

How about the friction produced by the axis, @gudo do you think it's low enough to use on a magnetically mounted head?

• Like 1

I think I would love it as 2th head on the magnetic toolchanger.... guess it should be possible when using the right back corner as the base.

How about the friction produced by the axis,  @gudo do you think it's low enough to use on a magnetically mounted head?

Adapting it to the 2nd tool changer head should be pretty easy, if the design allows for the 3 mm lifting of the parked head.

Just one thing guys, we will focus at start on basic stuff. UMO with um2 head/UM2 and maybe UM3.

So any crazy idea you guys have is welcome but also think that we don't want to rush a release that isn't up to what we think must be a really nice and working feeder. To do so we need to ger cables, motors, plastic, make manual, videos, etcetc. So first one step, then the next.

Also, friction? I doubt there's any that could affect the Foehnsturm magnetic head. In fact it could allow it to stay on air better and resist even better the machine vibrations. But that's just my crazy mind thinking.

And @Foehnsturm yeah it isn't idea to have the long shaft 3mm tall on a point but as long isn't extruding on that it should work, well maybe @gudo should answer that better than me. I'm just the crazy one, he is the one with the knowhow.

How about the friction produced by the axis,  @gudo do you think it's low enough to use on a magnetically mounted head?

the friction is negligible, the square axis slides very very smoothly on ball bearings, that could be large enough for a magnetic mount I think

• Like 1

Adapting it to the 2nd tool changer head should be pretty easy, if the design allows for the 3 mm lifting of the parked head.

I don't know well your system, sorry I don't understand what you mean by the " 3mm lifting "

@gudo @foehnsturm system lifts the parked head 3mm when parking it on a slide/arm thing. Check his videos at https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCrH7e5fBWaI5Bn2leb4tmGg

Edited by Guest

In addition to the neotko explanation about the ZGE name, without going into complex theories, I explain just simply why?

The square shaft weighs 50 grs, its weight is supported by the frame through the engine and its support.

The shaft in turn supports the 105 grs of the ZGE

As seen in the photos showing the extruder, disassembled from the print head and supported only by the axis, have been able to see that the axis maintains at different positions the level of the ZGE very close to the level of the top of the print head

The shaft acts as the Roman scale arm, and keeps the ZGE almost at equilibrium above the print head, so its mass is almost 0 G, +/- 10 grs

Compared to the 50+105 grs of the ZGE system total weight that the print head will not have to sustain.

If a little controled friction is added to the rotation of the motor support, this could also dampens a lot the centrifugal forces of the X / Y displacement.

So neotko thought that the Zero Gravity name is quite appropriate :)

20161201_214535.thumb.jpg.59e425adeaa67ab97309ad45798fa250.jpg

20161201_214626.thumb.jpg.42c9cb894de22c16de0d45ba59fa9838.jpg

20161201_214641.thumb.jpg.3b73ba20c81dfcc31e4c52c45711fc3f.jpg

20161201_214535.thumb.jpg.59e425adeaa67ab97309ad45798fa250.jpg

20161201_214626.thumb.jpg.42c9cb894de22c16de0d45ba59fa9838.jpg

20161201_214641.thumb.jpg.3b73ba20c81dfcc31e4c52c45711fc3f.jpg

I don't know well your system, sorry I don't understand what you mean by the " 3mm lifting "

When we park the 2nd head (where the nozzle sits 2.5 mm lower) it will be lifted 3mm in order to avoid any contact with the build plate when the 1st head is printing first layers.