gudo

Zero gravity direct drive extruder

Posted · Zero gravity direct drive extruder

Did you consider using a carbon fiber square rod instead of a steel one?

If I remember well he did, and it did bend quite fast. But don't take my word for it

• Like 1

Did you consider using a carbon fiber square rod instead of a steel one?

Hi all! Hi amedee !

The" carbon square rod was the first thing I tested, it had immediately delaminated under the extrusion torque , also, it would not have been compatible as a rolling way for the slider bearings.

• Like 2

Hi Gudo,

Looks great !! Do you only work with direct drive now or do you sometimes switch between the 2 systems?

greetings

Ed

Hi Gudo,

Looks great !! Do you only work with direct drive now or do you sometimes switch between the 2 systems?

greetings

Ed

You could do that, if you design a different top head and a holder for the extruder top. I thought about that long ago but it really doesn't make sense to go back to bowden when you use DD. It just works great.

• Like 1

Hi Gudo,

greetings

Ed

Hi to all,

Hi Ed

Thanks ! If go back to the Bowden system it means that the DD doesn't work as well as it. That's far from being the case, as neotko wrote, the ZGE in addition with the Bondtech gears just works so great that you will not want to use the Bowden again ;)

• Like 1

Indeed, I see no reason to go back. I still have to adjust my slicer parameters to get everything dialed in properly, but in the worst case, the ZGE performs at least as well as the Bowden setup.

If you would need to go back (e.g. in case you broke something like the stepper holder and need to reprint it), it is quite easy, you just need to remove the custom hot-end cover plate and re-install the Bowden. It is not practical to switch back and forth, but if you have to, it should not take more than 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Many thanks amedee for more precisions and also for the great ZGE building video you done !! :)

• Like 1

Did I miss something? Are the STL files already available?

I have read this thread a few times, but I do not find anything about the files.

Just to know if I can start with the adjustments.

This is one of the best upgrades I have put on my UMO+ so far...after switching to the UM2 printhead. It just works...without hazzle...and with flexible filaments. I even managed to use up all of the "crappy" Ultimaker filament that came with my printer (the faulty batch that snaps as soon as you look at it) :D

• Like 4