UM3 does not allow material settings to be changed/added

Karsten

Posted · UM3 does not allow material settings to be changed/added

I am currently testing different printing materials to find out the advantages and disadvantages.

While it is relatively easy to use third party materials like PLA or ABS, there are no presets in the firmware for PET-G for example. I can add this to Cura and set necessary settings there, but I can't export them to the printer.

The main problem is that when I want to load "unknown" materials the printer does not allow me to enter custom values for temperature etc.

It seems the UM2 firmware allowed custom material profiles and also importing and exporting for manual editing.

Will this be added later or is there a workaround?

I have printed PETG with UM3 without any issue. Choose what you want, for instance CPE.

I know I can still print with PETG by entering the correct settings in Cura. But I want to be able to either upload material settings or be able to set values manually at the printer. And I think this is not much to ask considering that the UM2 allowed this.

Posted (edited) · UM3 does not allow material settings to be changed/added

I know I can still print with PETG by entering the correct settings in Cura. But I want to be able to either upload material settings or be able to set values manually at the printer. And I think this is not much to ask considering that the UM2 allowed this.

The UMO was all controlled by Cura, UM2 had material profiles in the printer, on the UM3 they reverted to letting the slicer control all material settings and not having material profiles in the printer.

When you choose a material in the printer it does only control the insert temperature of the material and report material type to Cura, all other settings is controlled by Cura.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

PETG and CPE differ very little, so the settings will be very close.

Cura is in full control of all the temperatures and stuff when printing with the Ultimaker 3. So you can overrule everything there.

Custom material in the Ultimaker 3 is supported, however, during development a few work flow issues remained unsolved on how to set this up. Which means adding custom materials is currently a pain in the machine and Cura, and requires all kinds of implicit knowledge.

Good thing is, I am planning to sort this out. I have a few ideas that would make the whole flow more convenient.

Good thing is, I am planning to sort this out. I have a few ideas that would make the whole flow more convenient.

Any news regarding custom material in the Ultimaker 3 ? :)

I would love to see it implemented!

The UM3 uses the material information for a couple of things (load temperature, printing temperature, move material temperature, xy calibration print temperature) which need the right temperature for the filament being used.

At the moment it's also quite hard to see which Ultimaker material might share the same temperature as you only see the name and not the temperature.

All in all it would make using different materials far more convenient.

Maybe I am missing something here. This is what I have done:

1. Choose material type that is closest to new material needs.

2. Make all changes needed and save project.

3. Once settings are fine tuned and ready, I then save material profile with proper material name.

4. This does not transfer material properties to the printer, so I have to choose a material type that is consistent with that profile; i.e. if I make a new profile based on UM Nylon, I have to make sure I load the new material as a Nylon material and Cura takes care of the rest when using that profile.

5. Whenever I load that profile in Cura, I do have to remember the material to choose from. That is why having a project file is handy as it will keep all things in place. Helpful hint, about this method, make sure you save project with small model so that you do not waste time loading large geometry.

Though it does not address your immediate concerns directly, it does provide a work around until something less klugey is implemented.

Edited by Guest

HI Daid;

was this ever resolved?

Not that I know of, I'm really struggling to get materials in Cura (consistently that is) and accompanying printing profiles (for my UM3e). The whole material definition section appears to be affected by some unwanted features.

E.g. when I want a custom material like PETG I copy the CPE material from Ultimaker and change the vendor/brand and type and adjust only a few parameters like temp and fan speed (more is not possible in the GUI). Note that I un-link the material from it's parent it is derived from. When you save this the file is not renamed to your chosen brand and type, but are still listed as Ultimaker CPE! Hmmm... OK it is just a name, but clear is something else...

Then the following happens with that selected material if you want to use a printing profile, they are gone! OK, no problem lets make some of our own! I export a CPE profile e.g. "Fast", and import this back with the new material active. What happens, no print profile pops up in the list... Well that's strange, let's go back to the CPE material and surprised to now see 2 "Fast" profiles... It imported perfectly into the WRONG material... OK nothing lost I can live with that, I'll just make my own. So, back to my new material do some changes I like to call it a "Fine" print profile and save it to see that it does not come up in the list (but it does show up in the combobox as a name, when you pull down the combobox it is NOT there).

This has been done in Cura 2.6. I would love to hear from the developers what I'm doing wrong here, as the default materials and print profiles are awesome, I just want to create similar profiles for my own materials like PETG (close to CPE) and POM (close to Nylon).

And I forgot to say that once the material has been created it tends to miraculously change when you open it a few days later, but I cannot reproduce this.

It will remain under the original name so that you can choose a type that is recognized by the4 UM3 Series of printers.

For instance, when I started there was no CPE+, so I had to start with a CPE as the choice and then all other factors followed in the profile settings in the same place that you can alter and save, say, "Fast 0.2mm PETG" as the actual settings for the usage.

But the material will not change into something that the UM3 cannot understand. And, they do keep adding new materials.

all I want is to create my own profiles and then add those profiles to the printer :) something like PETG RED..

This does not explain how I can get print profiles for custom materials. Please explain or link to an explanation. E.g. should you un-link to the material you have derived your custom material from or not? Any help on this is very welcome!

I am doing some prep work before I have to leave to go real world things...uggghhhhh....would rather stay with this stuff :) Been working since 4AM.

But, if it has not been done by the time I get back, I will post a series of steps that I use to do so.

OK, here is the system I use.

Assumption 1: The printer has to read the materials it has been verified for. That is why they have recently added things like CPE+, PP, TPU, etc. to their firmware.

Assumption 2: The material profiles you make and save are based on those previous firmware definitions. The purpose of the material profile is so that when you set a basic set of parameters, such as print temps, etc, it sets a group of variables that get plugged into the maths of the system when figuring warm up temps, cooling temps and such for your printing.

Assumption 3: This will not override the built in 'move filament' or loading temps when using the filament. So, if you choose a material that goes to 250°C and your material wants to only be at 225°C, you may be cooking it a bit more than you would want. I choose my base material to start with based on the temps it will apply when loading, pre-heating cores and moving filament. Not the printing temps.

Assumption 4: The material profiles are there to facilitate your ease of plugging in numbers for the print settings and work with the printing profile, not to set the printer to a new material type.

Step 1. Choose material based on the closest setting required. Again, I choose based on the temp of loading, moving and core preheating.

Step 2. Duplicate that Material and rename to new material and change settings. This also allows you to customize the color representation in the Cura screen.

Step 3. As you choose a profile to start with in print settings (0.2mm or 0.15mm, etc), save that profile as well and use the two in conjunction. I usually name it something like this: T-Glase-PVA_0.2mm or if not with PVA, then T-Glase 0.2mm. And, I do use the name of the material and not a generic like "PETG" or such. Different brands and colors can present variances I do not want to guess at later.

Step 4. With the filament defined in the software, it will only work during the printing cycles. This means you MUST choose the appropriate material that you used to duplicate from. For instance; if you have used CPE+ for PETG, then you must choose CPE+ on the machine when you load or select type. But, the rest of it is workable as a combo.

Personally, I find this situation most palatable as it allows things to be sequestered into different areas of need and not put all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I would like to be able to make my own machine profiles for materials so I could load a specific type not readily available, but it is an emerging system and I can be patient. I mean, heck, I started with computers that operated on only 33Khz (yes that low of speed) and required a math co-processor to function properly PLUS all sorts of other widgets and code writing to just get it to break 640K memory limits. So, I do have a different perspective than most.

Edited by Guest

Many thanks for these steps!

I'm not new to computers and develop software for my profession. Math co-processors, that was a fun time, takes me back at least 20 years if not longer. You (as I) were lucky ones to have 640 kB memory, then at least we could copy a floppy disk in one pass :) opposed to the people with 512 kB which was very common at first. For the youngsters, a floppy was a flexible removable harddisk :)

I follow you up to step 3 as that is exactly what I did. But, in step 3 when I have this new material, it just does not show the profiles of the parent material (OK can live with that) but when I save my own profiles the just are not listed for this new material, that is what is bothering me.

@0scar Basically you are not allowed to change the material type as cura uses them to match the print profiles. See https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2102

I still think its kinda a work around to select a "matching" material instead of just being able to create my own. At the moment this is just convenient if you are in the Ultimaker eco system using the filament Ultimaker sells.

Would love to see Ultimaker working on it !

Many thanks for these steps!

I'm not new to computers and develop software for my profession. Math co-processors, that was a fun time, takes me back at least 20 years if not longer. You (as I) were lucky ones to have 640 kB memory, then at least we could copy a floppy disk in one pass :)opposed to the people with 512 kB which was very common at first. For the youngsters, a floppy was a flexible removable harddisk :)

I follow you up to step 3 as that is exactly what I did. But, in step 3 when I have this new material, it just does not show the profiles of the parent material (OK can live with that) but when I save my own profiles the just are not listed for this new material, that is what is bothering me.

Ahhh, the old days when things were truly revolutionary and not just evolutionary. Remember when a 10MB hardisk cost (Literally) $10,000 USD?

I am not sure I follow the last comment about things not listed for the new material. I have material profiles for all my specialty filaments (T-Glase, Ninjaflex, etc) and can choose those materials in the drop down menu just like the Preset materials that come with Cura.

I also make sure I export my materials and print profiles as you can really clutter up that menu system. So, I load and remove as needed.

I am not sure I follow the last comment about things not listed for the new material. I have material profiles for all my specialty filaments (T-Glase, Ninjaflex, etc) and can choose those materials in the drop down menu just like the Preset materials that come with Cura.

My materials also do find their way to the material list, but once I selected a material I cannot select any profile for it, the print profile list is empty. When I create my own print profiles (save and name them), they do not show up in the Preferences -> Profiles list box.

I also make sure I export my materials and print profiles as you can really clutter up that menu system. So, I load and remove as needed.

Good tip! I already had to redo all my materials (luckily only 2 PETG and 1 POM profile) when I upgraded from 2.5 to 2.6.2, as everything was lost.

Edited by Guest

My materials also do find their way to the material list, but once I selected a material I cannot select any profile for it, the print profile list is empty. When I create my own print profiles (save and name them), they do not show up in the Preferences -> Profiles list box.

Check to make sure that there is not a nozzle incompatibility going on. I will have to check this against one of my material profiles here soon as I finish this little project I am working on.

I can verify that I did find the same issue you did. I have not used any custom profiles lately. But, as soon as I stepped outside of the Ultimaker family of materials, the profiles would not show. Even if I made a new one and left it linked to the original material.

Even if I duplicated a material from any of the sources, Ultimaker, Generic, etc, or created from scratch, it would not let me have printing profiles listed in the front panel interface.

I have not used this for two versions, so I am sure you caught a bug. It was flawless before and I thank you for verifying the steps and pointing this out. I did the worst thing possible: I ASSUMED that it worked before I answered and did not test it. LOL

It really did work before. :)

Edit: Final thought, it would not show the materials unless I was in the nozzle it was created in while inside the material profile interface. I would load something that was created in the 0.4 nozzle and was in 0.8 nozzle and it would not show. As soon as I changed nozzle in the front panel, it would then show in the material profile editor.

Edited by Guest

I have not used this for two versions, so I am sure you caught a bug.

Let's hope the devs pick it up. I master many programming languages but Python is not among them yet (coarse is planned for next year). I already got the sources from Git, if I find some time I will look into it.

Thanks for your posts to make clear that it is probably a "feature" in the code rather than me failing to understand adding profiles.

"Feature"!! LOL!!! Yeah, but this reminds me of the old compuserve days. Back when the internet was civil..... We work together :)

Any news on custom filament profiles?  

If not, any suggestions on how to get this loaded into the printer?:

https://www.machinablewax.com/product.php?product=52

We've just purchased a 0.4mm printcore to be dedicate to printing this filament but I'd rather not foul it if it's not currently practical.

Thanks

I'm very biased because I sell them.  But if you ware worried about nozzles clogging then I would get a 3dsolex core because the nozzle can be removed, cleaned out, and put back into the core.  Plus you can buy more than one nozzle for the core.