Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
peetersm

[solved] CURA 2.3.1 trouble with Flow and Print Speed in Per Model Settings - UMO+

I'm trying to adjust the flow and print speed using the per model settings and getting unexpected results. Any advice about misunderstandings or errors I'm making would be greatly appreciated. UMO+ CURA 2.3.1

Changes made in CURA

Normal part = flow 100% , speed 50mm/s

Bridge part = flow 500% , speed 5mm/s

(see video)

What I was expecting was that the bridge part would print very slow and extrude a lot so you would get lacy loops accumulating all over the wall below. But I did not see that. During the bridge part the speed does not look anywhere close to 5mm/s and the output(flow) also does not seem to increase.

FLOW?

Based on the CURA documentation it seems like FLOW should only effect extrusion rates but I am not able to verify that--OR -- FLOW also changes other parameters that I am not aware of.

SPEED?

I realize the "normal part" is probably not printing at 50mm/s due to min layer time settings (default 5sec) so I would not expect a 10X speed change, but I have seen 5mm/s speeds and the "bridge part" is not moving that slow.

I have uploaded my model and gcode here in case this helps:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/test-vase-for-cura-per-model-settings

Edited by Guest

ok, I made a better test model which I could print faster and test up to 5 different settings in one print.

and I discovered:

#1. (duh) There are several speed parameters and "PRINT SPEED" does not change all print speed settings. For this thin wall model I needed to modify "WALL SPEED" in order to see a difference.

#2. At 50mm/s changing FLOW has little effect on the print since there is a limit to how fast you can extrude plastic. At 210C with PLA that is probably ~6mm^3/s .

Here's a nice photo of my tests (click for big view).

flow-speed-test.thumb.jpg.3cfb0e4e1241bd6ca1190e823e1d3a44.jpg

AND here is a link to my improved test print file in case anyone else needs such a printing test object.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/test-box-for-cura-per-model-settings

flow-speed-test.thumb.jpg.3cfb0e4e1241bd6ca1190e823e1d3a44.jpg

• Like 1