Ultimaker 2+ Extended

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ Extended

Hello @ all,

I'm owning a Ultimaker 2+ ans i want to upgrade my cooling fans to 40mm.

Unfotunatly i did not found any documentation about the specs of the original fans.

Can somebody help me and tell me whats the voltage and current of the orig fans ?

Kind regards: Jan

Hi there,

I recently measure the airflow out of the stock 2+ fan shroud with my anemometer. I measured 1.8m/s air speed.

I have no idea what that means for the fans themselves, so maybe this is not useful info, but then again, maybe it is.

Hope it helps. Good luck! :)

So, I check the UM2+ bill of materials

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Extended/tree/master/BOM

and I found this info:

Model Cooling Fan 12VDC 0.1 A

I also found a drawing:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Extended/blob/master/1313/B1313-A.PDF

This does not tell you anything about the airflow, however.

One bit of info that might help: The UM2+ side fans are supposed to be identical to the UM2 side fans. So do not limit your searching to just the 2+. There are older conversations about the UM2 side fans that might give some insights.

Anyway, hope it helps. :)

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ Extended

Hi Folks,

May by I can help a little here..

This fan is connected to J14 on the main board right?

And we're talking about the two cooling fans (each 12 VDC) connected in serial?

Those fans are connected to a transistor (T1) BC817 and can handle absolute max current of 500 mA (milli Ampere). However, we've to stay below 200 mA here to be safe, as this transistor has no heat sink installed. This transistor is controlled by a PWM (pulse with modulated) signal from the main board.

Ref. Main Board V.2.1.1

Good luck.

Thanks.

Torgeir.

Edit: Forgot to mention the specs. on my fans, they are: 12 VDC and draw max 150 mA.

Thx.

Edited by Guest

And we're talking about the two cooling fans (each 12 VDC) connected in serial?

This transistor is controlled by a PWM (pulse with modulated) signal from the main board.

Yes, 2 fans in series, 1 single plug and a Y in the wiring. That is an important detail.

The PWM controllable bit is an important too. I don't think all fans necessarily support that.

Good info! :)