Temperature isn't consistent

jeroen-somers

Posted · Temperature isn't consistent

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following problem.

I have a Ultimaker Original with heated bed upgrade.

Yesterday the temperature on my Ulticontroller wasn't consistent.

It was set to 210c but it displayed 203c, even when I turned it to 220c or higher it didn't change or changed a little bit to 204c and back to 202c.

When I turned it lower, the temperature went lower, (like supposed to) but when turning it to 210c again, it climbed 1 or 2 degrees per minute. it also faltered a little bit (207c, 209c, 202c, 205c) Like it couldn't read the temperture correctly.

What I think might be the problem is my temperature sensor or the heater (maybe both) are broke. But I'm not sure, I can 3D print almost anything, but when it comes to the electronic parts of the printer I don't know exactly where to look.

Maybe this Ultimaker forum army of 3D enthusiastics can help me with the problem.

Greetings,

Jeroen

Does that happen when the fans are also on? If so, try to set the full fans lower. There's are others workaround, but they ain't easy.

I did that already but it wouldn't help.

I have my printer for almost 3 years now and never had this kind of trouble before so that wouldn't be a good solution either.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty so please tell me the non easy way.

Posted (edited) · Temperature isn't consistent

If you haven't change anything on the printer I would check the thingy on top of the head to see if the cables are fit for good or they have play.

If there was any mod, fans, or something added, I would check the PID autotune

There's a simple guide of how to do it:

http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

To connect to the printer by usb & do the PID autotune use the program printrun/pronterface, is free

http://www.pronterface.com

If you made any change to the printer, please share it, any extra data helps.

Edited by Guest

check all the cables on top of the printhead: the two very thin wires entering the green block and the white connectors, fiddle them a bit around and see if something changes on the temperature reading. Also move the wires of the fan away from the other wires.

check all the cables on top of the printhead: the two very thin wires entering the green block and the white connectors, fiddle them a bit around and see if something changes on the temperature reading. Also move the wires of the fan away from the other wires.

Is it possible that the wires cause a sort of noise interference between eachother?

I will check them tonight as soon as I get home. Thank you for the reply

Edited by Guest

If is the fan wires (that's why I asked you if that happens with or without the fans on). The fix could be using @amedee firmware builder https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/ and making a firmware with the option 'Slow PWM' on Fan PWM. Remember not to adjust anything or ask first if you don't know how to do it. Basically if you use standard stuff is should be pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

If the problem is only there when the fan is on, consider using a firmware with 'Slow PWM' for the fan (that is: 'Fast PWM' disabled)

The thermocouple on the UMO is sensible to the fan PWM, and since I switched to 'Slow PWM' my temperature is super stable.

Edit: apologies for double post, @Neotko was faster than myself ;)

Edited by Guest