Feature requests for the Ulticontroller

Posted · Feature requests for the Ulticontroller

I wanted to ask for some features in the Ulticontroller for the next firmware upgrade. I don't know where to post this, so I'll post it here and invite the community to add their own requests.

• More forecasts: printing time left (for obvious reasons) and filament length left (for guessing if the small filament you have left is enough to finish the job!). I know this will require the whole gcode file to be pre-processed.
  • An easily accesible function that retracts the filament, moves the nozze to a corner and waits for a key press to resume: Something similar to 'pause at height' or 'change filament at Z' plugins, only that you could run it in an unexpected emergency. It does not need to work perfectly, I mean it for solving emergencies.

I don't know if there is even any possibility that the Ulticontroller's firmware will be changed, but what the.. I just wanted to make my suggestions anyway! :-P

I would really like to have some features that I used alot on industrial CNC machines, which is to have buttons on the front of the controller for manual feeding in XYZ.

So you can just press "left" and the head goes left at the max feedrate etc.

That would be nice...but thats a mechanical design update, so I suppose unlikely to happen anytime soon.

In terms of software, just to have all the units reading correctly would be good.

For example the fan speed, and the steps-per-e, which at present are basically just arbitrary numbers. Works..but would be alot more useful in engineering units.

C.

A nice feature would be to be able to access the SD card directly from the computer (and not through the serial port). Maybe adding an extra usb port in the UC that when connected mounts the SD card as an extra removable storage device?