Best US distributor for UM filaments?

Posted · Best US distributor for UM filaments?

I wish there were more matte colors also!  They hide the imperfections such as layer lines very well!  But, um, what's out there?  Some help here?  I know woodfill and brassfill are pretty matte.  Any other filaments though?

Actually, Proto-Pasta now has some matte PLAs available. Never tried them though.

One that caught my eye, but I haven't tried out yet, is the Polymaker filaments, such as the new PolySmooth ones. It works with their "Polysher" that uses Nebulized Aerosol Polishing (Isopropanol) to smooth out the surface. It doesn't seem to be available yet but I have seen videos (3D Printing Nerd) of it in action. (http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysmoothpolysher/)

• 1 year later...

Meltink pla filaments based out of (I think) Florida is pretty good.  Here's something I printed on the S5 using meltInk filament.  I really love this color.  Easy to print.  Just your basic good quality PLA but with great color selection.

2018-05-03 11.18.17.jpg

On 3/23/2017 at 8:15 PM, krys said:

ctually, Proto-Pasta now has some matte PLAs available. Never tried them though.

I have some of the green matte pla from protopasta.  I wasn't super happy with it but I should try it again sometime.  It prints like woodfill.  I think maybe it *is* woodfill?  So there is a high concentration of non-pla material so it doesn't stick to itself as well as normal PLA.  At least that's my impression.  So it doesn't bridge well.  It probably doesn't overhang well also.  And you need to do extra thick top layers to get the holes to fill in.  At least that's my limited experience.  But if you get it to come out right it does have an interesting look.  Almost like velvet.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:15 PM, krys said:

Actually, Proto-Pasta now has some matte PLAs available. Never tried them though.

I actually really like the Proto-Pasta matte PLA. We've got some in stock. We remixed this Julius Caesar bust from Thingiverse a couple weeks ago and printed it with the white Matte Protopasta. I've got a base we did in Bronzefill (still need to find the time to polish it up). But I love how it turned out.

IMG_2597.thumb.JPG.c3b3b951e77140e9447281258d654fe6.JPG

• Like 1