Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
THX1138

How to copy/save settings from Ultimaker 2?

I printed a thing at my local Hacklab/Maker space and the settings used I think were saved in "Custom 4". Is there a way to extract the settings so I can keep a copy because I imagine it will be overwritten by this time next week and I'll be back where I started regarding figuring out appropriate settings.

Hi,

I don't know what "Custom 4" is but I assume it is a printing profile in Cura.

You can export a profile by accessing the settings, selecting profiles and then the profile and "export".

If the maker space uses Cura 2.4, you could save you entire configuration including the model on the buildplate as a project. For this just access "File" and then "Save project".

Do you mean that you edited the nozzle temp, bed temp and fan settings on the UM2 itself, and saved it there? This indeed does save new settings in a name like "custom+number".

In that case, on the printer, you can go to: materials > settings > save to SD card (or something similar, I don't know the exact wording by head). This saves a file "material.txt" to your SD-card, which you can edit in Notepad.

When editing this file in Notepad, I would suggest you change the material's name "custom4" into something more meaningfull.

I use names like "PLA200" for pla printed at 200°C (PLA is always printed with 100% fan). And "NGN225F" for NGEN, printed at 225°C with fan. Or "NGN225NF" for no fan. And so on. In this way I can use only one gcode file with various materials and fan settings, by simply changing the material.

There appears to be a maximum length for the material name (8 characters?), and it seems that it does not allow spaces and underscores. So I use capitals and numbers only. This is just from experience, I don't know the official specs. Maybe one of the developers can point towards that info?

• Like 2