Ultimaker 3 and PVA

VapeLounge

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 and PVA

Good morning everyone. I'm trying to print an object with PVA supports but. I have the following problems. When I enter the PVA in tie Advancer and the car drives him, at some point it seems that the motor turns but does not push the wire, well now I tighten the screw in such a way as to give more friction to the wire. Printing begins and it's okay for a while, at one point known that never leaves the PVA filament, control the thread and find it all eaten. Can you help me? Thanks to those who help me.

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.81357a7c0a06cc4492452b7cc22bf986.JPG

IMG_2670.thumb.JPG.808c61bfb919b1ecb5dea63b5a1769ea.JPG

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.81357a7c0a06cc4492452b7cc22bf986.JPG

IMG_2670.thumb.JPG.808c61bfb919b1ecb5dea63b5a1769ea.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker 3 and PVA

This is clearly not good, this is called grinding. There can be many reasons for grinding.

My advice: reverse the screw that you used to tighten the feeder. The indicator on the outside of the feeder should be in the middle. This holds for all UM materials.

Then we have to find the cause of grinding. Biggest chance is that your BB nozzle is clogged. Instructions to unclog it can be found here

After cleaning the BB core, use the menu to load the PVA. Does it feed through the bowden tube without problems? Does it extrude from the nozzle?

Let us know if you are able to unclog the BB.

Your issue could be several things. If you changed the default profiles and lowered the pva temp or if you sped up the pva printing speed you can get this grinding. But most likely the nozzle is just a little bit clogged.

It could also be that the pva got too wet possibly if you spilled water on it. That seems unlikely. There are other possibilities if these don't fix the problem.

OK guys. I followed your advice and it works. But I will say one thing, the PVA is a material very dirty the nucleus? Another thing, when I cleaned the nucleus I saw which was spotlessly clean. There may be some other problem?

What do you mean by "nucleus"? I would normally think that means the center but how can you clean the center of the PVA filament?

Sorry, I meant nozzle.

PVA burns easily. If it stays hot for just a few minutes it starts to turn brown and can get very difficult to clean out. Also it can eventually create a thin layer inside the tip of the nozzle which slows down the ability for the printer to print at speed.

Ok guys, I have bad news.

I am printing an object, until a few minutes ago okay, now the PVA does not go out from the extruder. I am attaching a photo.

IMG_2678.thumb.JPG.0ac40d23b76e2b456c2c8e79f02e2729.JPG

IMG_2678.thumb.JPG.0ac40d23b76e2b456c2c8e79f02e2729.JPG

Ouch, it is disappointing to see this.

A few tips:

* always use the default Cura profiles

* use the latest Cura version. Cura 2.4 beta has even more advanced temperature behaviour, which enables skipping the prime tower (shorter printing times)

* Watch ambient humidity. RH should be below 55% (RH=relative humidity). Do you know what the humidity near your printer is?

* use Ultimaker materials . What PVA are you using?

I understand from your post that the inside of your nozzle was clean when you tried the cold pull? So if your nozzle was clean, how did you solve the grinding?

Hello. How software uses Cura 2.3.1. The PVA I am using is the Formfutura, but also with the PVA Ultimaker giving me the same problems. The problem of yarn ruined I solved it by unscrewing the screw of the push thread.

Hiya, I had this problem where my filament wasn't pushing through to the print head. However it worked happily if pushed by hand. The bowden tube became less slippery and was causing too much friction on the filament. I corrected the issue by squirting a small amount of machine oil down the tube, and the across the filament itself (just over the top). Now it runs flawlessly.

Hello. They are not at all happy with this printer. I think to sell it as soon as possible.

Hi @Vapelounge, thank you for your messages.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling satisfied at the moment. Lets see if we can help you get your Ultimaker under control :)

If I understand correctly, you had difficulties with Formfutura PVA, and a dirty nozzle. You cleaned it and it worked fine for a little bit.

Then you had a clogged nozzle again, and also Ultimaker PVA didn't work.

Correct?

First of all, I think it is good to realize, PVA is not an easy material to print with. Just the moist in the air can influence it already. It burns easily in the nozzle. That has nothing to do with the machine, but you are trying to print with a difficult material.

Because it is tricky, we did our best to generate a default profile for you to use, to eliminate as much risk as possible.

This Cura-profile is designed around Ultimaker PVA. I would recommend, to clean your nozzle once again, like you did the first time, and start a new print with Ultimaker PVA.

Due to our open filament system, feel free to experiment or use other materials, but I would recommend to do so once you have gained some more experience with 3D printing and the Ultimaker 3, so you can make your own Cura profile and know what you are doing.

Let me know if you have any questions, looking forward hearing from you!

Hi @Vapelounge, thank you for your messages.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling satisfied at the moment. Lets see if we can help you get your Ultimaker under control :)

If I understand correctly, you had difficulties with Formfutura PVA, and a dirty nozzle. You cleaned it and it worked fine for a little bit.

Then you had a clogged nozzle again, and also Ultimaker PVA didn't work.

Correct?

First of all, I think it is good to realize, PVA is not an easy material to print with. Just the moist in the air can influence it already. It burns easily in the nozzle. That has nothing to do with the machine, but you are trying to print with a difficult material.

Because it is tricky, we did our best to generate a default profile for you to use, to eliminate as much risk as possible.

This Cura-profile is designed around Ultimaker PVA. I would recommend, to clean your nozzle once again, like you did the first time, and start a new print with Ultimaker PVA.

Due to our open filament system, feel free to experiment or use other materials, but I would recommend to do so once you have gained some more experience with 3D printing and the Ultimaker 3, so you can make your own Cura profile and know what you are doing.

Let me know if you have any questions, looking forward hearing from you!

Thanks for the reply. Now I will try your advice. If I can end the printing I'll let you know if everything went well.

Polymaker has a new promising support material :

Polymaker has a new promising support material :

If works, that's AWESOME

And if it's not expensive ;)

• Like 1

Someone have tried to print support with PLA but support interface with PVA ?

Capture.PNG.8f76864cff91a6ac46eb58dc1adb5a3a.PNG

Capture.PNG.8f76864cff91a6ac46eb58dc1adb5a3a.PNG

Polymaker has a new promising support material

And what am I doing finally with the alcohol/702 solution?

Hi,

I'm using the default Cura 2.4 beta profile but I still have "holes" on the walls due to PVA residues inside the PLA wall. Do you have similar issues ?

I will try the ooze shield instead of the prime tower.

I found the prime tower to take care of the "holes" issue.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 and PVA

I found the prime tower to take care of the "holes" issue.

Thanks ! I was using prime tower but the hollow prime tower of Cura 2.4 Beta 2. I will try with a plain prime tower.

Edited by Guest

It shouldn't make much difference if hollow or not? I don't know - pva just doesn't always stick to the tower. I was pretty happy with my own custom towers - I just added 2 of these *before* adding my main part (one tower for each material) and I placed them right up against the prime tower to keep it from falling over:

a.JPG.375e80d1b759b853abbb828f334abc8d.JPG

a.JPG.375e80d1b759b853abbb828f334abc8d.JPG