Using BB core for AA core and vice versa

unccheezy

Posted (edited) · Using BB core for AA core and vice versa

Needless to say our core is clogged.  Been trying to get it out with all the normal methods but no luck.  Can I use the BB core for the AA core somehow until I order some more cores?  This would be really useful...

Edited by SandervG

Posted · Using BB core for AA core and vice versa

Hi @unccheezy, we are sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your print cores. Have you reached out to your reseller for help? Perhaps with some more information the community can be of assistance too.

About your question, in theory it is possible. But due to the internal design of the print cores they are optimized for either the building materials, or supports (PVA). This means, that especially a build material on the BB core will ooze more, and PVA in an AA core gives you even higher chances of a clog.

Hopefully this helps, but if we could help you get your print cores back in working condition that would be even better!

Thanks for the information. I loved the Ulti2, but this Ulti3 has been a total piece of shit. We've spent more time fixing it than printing on it. We can reach out to reseller as well.

I don't see a lot of burned PVA inside print core 2, but it's being a real pain in the ass, did a bunch of hot/cold pulls I can't get anything through or out.

@SandervG can I remove the nozzle from the Ultimaker3?

No. Don't remove the nozzle from a print core, as you have a very high chance on destroying the fragile heat break. Removing a nozzle is never necessary. If it is clogged, the instructions on the website are always enough to unclog it.

I'm sure we can help you get your printer going. Your reseller is trained to help you, and also here on the forum there's a lot of help available.

If you describe your problem, I will surely try to help you.

@tomnagel I have used multiple ultimaker 2/2+'s for a few years now. I know how to do hot/cold pulls. I spent an hour doing pulls yesterday. I read all the instructions on the website. The new printer core is a complete piece of shit.

Yesterday while doing cold/warm pulls I broke the bowden tube at the top of the printer. There isn't a drip coming out of the nozzle.

I think it is unfair for you to say that removing the nozzle is "never" necessary.

Microscope image of a hot pull. Looks like there isn't any burned PVA in there, just a lot of leftover PVA. I did another 20 or so hot pulls today with a few cold pulls. Still nothing coming out of nozzle.

IMG_8275.thumb.JPG.5e681f7aacb24df112c53c726277c5cb.JPG

IMG_8275.thumb.JPG.5e681f7aacb24df112c53c726277c5cb.JPG

Managed to take apart entire core. The whole nozzle (brass part) was full to the brim with burned PVA. Heated it up, and semi drilled it out with a small drill bit then we found a tiny needle and pushed out the rest of the crap. We've ordered a new core as a backup, but hopefully we are out.

Posted (edited) · Using BB core for AA core and vice versa

Sure it's risky to take a core apart, but if you're feeling brave at least watch this before you have a go at it....

http://www.3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=57&p=7844#p7844

Edited by Guest

I think it is unfair for you to say that removing the nozzle is "never" necessary.

Let me be more precise then: we've had our share of clogged print cores in the past 2 years of development. There is not a single core that we needed to take apart for cleaning purposes.

I dare to say: the print core is the most reliable solution in the market today. We've solved the wear of the teflon part completely. It has been extremely well tested.

The first users already report hitting 2000 printing hours with a single core.

If you have problems with your print cores, we'd like to help you. Your problems can be solved.

Do you use Cura?

Are you using the default printing profiles?

Are you using Ultimaker materials?

I should have taken a picture of it for you. There was no way that I was going to get all that stuff out of the nozzle. I could have hot pulled for days. It was golden burned. I think we have a bug in our machine. Posting another thread that will explain, but for some reason I think what is happening is that machine is getting confused homing itself to the back right (when looking at machine) and sitting there with the heat on. I think this caused it to burn up and get super clogged.

We are using Cura. I have tried the new 2.4 beta and the 2_3 version. I also upgraded the FW on the machine to the most recent stable version. I'm using default printing profiles and ultimaker PVA and matter hackers PLA. Haven't had any issue with the PLA yet.

Thanks for the video! Managed to get it apart before watching it, but great info.

Sure it's risky to take a core apart, but if you're feeling brave at least watch this before you have a go at it....

http://www.3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=57&p=7844#p7844

Hi @Unccheezy, thank you for keeping us updated and our apologies you seemed to have such difficulties with your print core. I think it would have been interesting to get some more data on your print core, if indeed it has been so different from our instructions of our intention on how it should work.

What is the latest update on your print core? Are they all back in working order again?

Looking forward hearing from you!

We ordered some new print cores, but were able to get the old ones working. The main issue was here, you can check out the whole thread. https://ultimaker.com/en/community/37150-um3-pausing-between-layers-homing-to-back-right-and-staying-there-until-user-interaction?page=1&sort=#reply-170770

Thanks again @sandervg for all the help.

• Like 1

No problem, happy to help!

I'll go check out that other thread :)