Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nrgful

slicer artefacts

Hello, I am a newbie in 3d printing and I try establish wich slicer is best working for me. I did test with the same parameters on Slic3r and Cura slicer, however I still do not understand why I receive different result. When I slice and print via Cura I receive strange artefact as a result pritty seeming like a sew from bottom to top of the print (attached below.)

open?id=0B2fWf70wR6rcd2hHRFVrRjhqWE0

open?id=0B2fWf70wR6rcOHFENEpIZ2FmcTg

I tried the same hollow christmas tree print slicing on Slic3r, and there I receive the same artefacts, however they were spread over the perimeter on different places.

I guess it is related to slicer setting but I do not know what exactly.

Thank you in advance

Edited by Guest

There is no such thing as "the same settings" between multiple slicers. The name of the settings might be the same, but how they behave will have slight (but notable) differences. Especially when you think about the 300+ settings that cura has. A lot of small differences can add up to a very big difference.

• Like 1

What you are probably seeing is what I call Z Height Zipper :)

Its the point in the print where the nozzle moves up (or bed moves down) to print the next layer. This causes a bit of oozing from the nozzle and creates these little seams/blobs/bulges.

I know of no way to completely eliminate this, and every Slicer will put them in different places depending on the model, placement, infill, orientation, # shells, etc.

In Cura, under Shell -> Z Seam Alignment, you can set it to 'Random' and it will spread them around the print like S3D does. I think the default is 'Shortest', which usually clumps them together as you are seeing.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Yeah, I had in mind exactly the same - "Z Height Zipper". I see this option is available in the latest CURA version, because I use 14.12 and there it is not available. Thank you for your advice.