Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
amont

Cura 2.3.1 not recognizing holes

Cura 2.3.1 is not recognizing vertical holes (stopped and full) in object.

These holes are recognized in earlier versions of Cura.

Curiously these holes are recognized when the object is turned through 90 degrees in Cura 2.3.1 (this is not a practical orientation in which to print the object).

This problem needs to be fixed.

First thing I see is your faces are reversed. That's why it shows red on the top of the object when laying flat.

When you view it in x-ray mod, do you see any red areas then? Those are manifold errors.

Did you design this in SketchUp? If so, install the Solid Inspector2 and use it to check and fix your model.

Thank you DaHai8 - this has cured the problem but also leaves me wondering quite what is going on.

No red appeared in X-ray mode.

I use Cinema 4D.

I reversed all the normals on the main body (not the holes) which were showing all facing the same way, which fixed the problem, but again when in Cura one of the large flat faces is showing in red suggesting it thinks the normals on the two large surfaces are not facing the same way (inward/outward).

I am surprised turning through 90 degrees should have any effect on a problem like this, and why do earlier versions of Cura not have a problem?

Thanks for the help.