Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

PID Auto Tune - Head Fan not spinning up?

Posted (edited) · PID Auto Tune - Head Fan not spinning up?

Hi,

quick question: is the head fan supposed to spin during the auto tune procedure?

Mine is not... and as soon as I cancel the auto tune run the fan starts spinning.

I am running an UM2 with 2.1.4 board, so the fan is pwm controlled.

And indeed, when I look at the code, manage_heater() is never called during the for(; ; ) loop of the auto tune...

Cheers

Edited by Guest
    Posted · PID Auto Tune - Head Fan not spinning up?

Interesting. That could be a bug. Afaik the pin auto tune is implemented very roughly on um2 firmware and was never changed. UM has the tendency of leaving old machines without any update for the small % of stuff that the 99% of users don't use.

You could make a trick, very easy. Preheat the hotend to 50-60C so the small fan kicks in, and then run the autorune. It shouldn't change the values much (or none at all).

Would you consider the 2+ old as well? ;) In that firmware it is the same.

For a solution: yes, preheating before keeps the fan on but I wanted to see if it is worthwhile to open a github issue...

Would you consider the 2+ old as well? ;) In that firmware it is the same.

For a solution: yes, preheating before keeps the fan on but I wanted to see if it is worthwhile to open a github issue...

Um2+ firmware isn't much different than um2, they only added a bunch of material profiles, and they never fixed the system to update the materials or any significant change. So yeah :)

I think is worth, since is a bug of the way the pin is called only when heating, and not when it just heats.