How do I increase the Z resolution?

c-ernst

Posted · How do I increase the Z resolution?

The first successful prints I made were made with the steppers set wrong on the PCB. It was printing everything scaled half height. Now that I have that fixed I can't get anything to print correctly. I need to double the number of slices in Z but can't find any settings in Skeinforge to do so.

Still using the firmware that came with the machine...

Chuck

The first successful prints I made were made with the steppers set wrong on the PCB. It was printing everything scaled half height. Now that I have that fixed I can't get anything to print correctly. I need to double the number of slices in Z but can't find any settings in Skeinforge to do so.

Still using the firmware that came with the machine...

I don't understand..

What was the problem where it was doing 1/2 height? How'd you fix that and, if it's not printing correctly, why do you think it's now fixed?

The stepping on the z motor was set to 1/16 instead of 1/8 so all my prints looked like you took the model and squished it in height. A 20x20x20 mm block ended up being 20x20x10. The print quality was very good though. I fixed the stepper jump and it never printed right again. I spent about 3 hours last night messing with feeds and temps. It was almost like the z was way to high for the next layer to reach it by the time it cooled.

Thanks for the Carve tip... I'll give it a shot.

Ok.. I get it now.

A better way forward might be to move up to new firmware and new skeinforge.

SF versions 40 and layer support "volumetric 5D" which enables it to figure out the correct flow for you - you just set feed rate and flow rate to the same value and SF will do the math so the extruder puts out just the right amount of plastic.

Using that requires a newer firmware, though. That's not too hard to upgrade - if you need help, just ask!

Yeah I think I might have to do that. I am getting some awesome prints now with a minor issue on start up. Every print is doing a slow 10 second or more head move dumping (not feeding, just running out the nozzle) the entire head of PLA out before it starts printing so the first row of a raft is non existent. I am trying some lower temps so maybe the head wont evacuate before the real printing starts. I am also looking into editing the GCode to eliminate what ever move that is... or maybe there is a good reason it does that? I am hoping the firmware and SF update will give me more control and a better idea of why it does what it does.

Thanks for the help guys!

Every print is doing a slow 10 second or more head move dumping (not feeding, just running out the nozzle) the entire head of PLA out before it starts printing so the first row of a raft is non existent.

Is the Limit module in SF enabled? If so, try turning that off..