working wrench, is it possible?

Posted (edited) · working wrench, is it possible?

It there someone who succeded in making a working wrench?

i have tried several on the web found but non was working

the offset possiblity was used and that made it a little bit better, but still not working

below picture are top and bottom side

bottom side is very poor!!

Machine UM3

Nozzle 0.4

Layer height 0.1

material tried: PLA and ABS

Support either PLA or PVA with the ABS

20170209_120857.thumb.jpg.743b9cac2141e00c500a1899e0b6d0fd.jpg

20170209_120920.thumb.jpg.44499d052c8058ad1c97312171e1ee2b.jpg

20170209_120857.thumb.jpg.743b9cac2141e00c500a1899e0b6d0fd.jpg

20170209_120920.thumb.jpg.44499d052c8058ad1c97312171e1ee2b.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · working wrench, is it possible?

Hi,

In my days I have printed several wrenches, and it was a mixture of successful ones and failed ones.

A few things to keep in mind, scaling. I would not recommend to scale it smaller, the tolerance would become even smaller. If the current tolerance does not work for you, you can try to make it slightly bigger.

It is recommended to print on the low side of temperatures, to reduce any stringing.

Lowering the temperature of your heated bed could also contribute reducing the heat radiation that could make your gears sag, but you have to keep in mind that there is something to create adhesion. (If it is not heat, you could try blue tape for example).

A high resolution, thin layers, could also help to make the insides smoother.

What I found most crucial, is to get a great first layer. It should stick well, but you don't want elephant feet. You don't want to squash it too much because if the flattened layer will become bigger than the tolerance, it can prevent the wrench from moving properly.

It is not an easy print, but doable. Good luck!