Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
basteluwe

How to control the LED-PWM Outlet at UO+

Hi Guys,

I would like to connect an LED-strip to the LED-PWM outlet of my mainboard.

I'm using a newly assembled Ultimaker Original+.

It's the red-marked port at the below picture, I'm talking about:

01.jpg.73913bd18098c6f980fe8b73a7efefaf.jpg

I just checked the output and it seems, the port is low by default. I measure 1.0-1.3V (digital instrument).

So how ist the outlet controlled? There is no function at the Ulticontroller as far as I can tell. How do I get current to that port?

Regards Uwe

01.jpg.73913bd18098c6f980fe8b73a7efefaf.jpg

You should use @amedee firmware for that, it adds led control on the panel control and it even saves the brightness so when you turn it on it lights on like a um2.

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20983-ultimaker-original-custom-firmware-builder

Thanks for that,

one question still: When I start the firmware-builder and choose the Ultimaker Original+ printer, I get a lot of alternatives to change in the lines below, but I can't find an LED option to choose!

Is the LED-option built into the generator as standard?

Uwe

• Like 1

You should use @amedee firmware for that, it adds led control on the panel control and it even saves the brightness so when you turn it on it lights on like a um2.

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20983-ultimaker-original-custom-firmware-builder

Thanks for that,

one question still: When I start the firmware-builder and choose the Ultimaker Original+ printer, I get a lot of alternatives to change in the lines below, but I can't find an LED option to choose!

Is the LED-option built into the generator as standard?

Uwe

Indeed. If you just choose umo+ without changing anything you get an standard umo+ firmware, but with added Led pwm control

• Like 2

Yes indeed there are very few things you can't opt-out, mostly bug fixes. Led control is one of them.

I should probably document that as I tend to claim that without any option it is the same as the official firmware, but it is not 100% true anymore.

Indeed. Is better.

• Like 2

Thanks for clarifying that.

I finally took a different path though. As my LED-stripes turned out to be 12V, I had to use some hardware (LM7812) to adapt it anyway. So I connected it to VCC2 (+24V) at Pin1/J15 (PWM/LED) and to GND /-24V at Pin3/J9. Both pins were unused at my board and easy to access. I use a little switch to control the lights.

Have a nice sunday,

Uwe