Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Fast6er

Cura 2.3.1 flagged by Virustotal

Hi team-

My new workplace has very stringent software security policies, including thorough inspection of software that hasn't previously been vetted.

One of the steps is a Virustotal scan, and Cura 2.3.1 threw 4 flags. FWIW, 2.3.0 threw 2 flags.

As such, I have no recourse to install the software on my corporate computer, which is a real downer.

Is there anything that can be done to address these (assuming) false positives, or, (worst case) malicious code?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

If you knew who my employer was, you may revise your opinion :)

Here's the report:

linky

As I mentioned, this is one metric of several they use, and these results make them wary. The responsibility lies on either me or Ultimaker to prove that Cura is safe to install and run. My experience is purely anecdotal across several machines and versions, and that's not worth much to them. Their suggestion was that I ask for Ultimaker's input.

"Generic Trojan" -> there is fairly little we can do about this. We tried getting Cura listed on the whitelist of some of the virus scanner companies, but it's a lot of work getting it done with every single one of them.

We suspect that it's the combination of Cura being able to send statistics (if you agree) and it using a local (socket) connection with the backend.

What would it take to prove that it's safe? Show them the source code? That we can do! ;)

• Like 2